1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of a Rat?

Discussion in 'Body' started by Roo, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Roo

Roo Active Member

Hey all! Can I get everyones opinion as to what defines a RAT restoration? I've seen the term used many times but am curious as to it's origin. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, Roo.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

too tightarse to paint the damn thing:)

col

3. Roo

Roo Active Member

:lol:Yeah I like that definition Col! Works for me.

4. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Agree with col....and also think they look yuk........

Each to their own though

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It is a very fine line between "Rat", and just "neglected".......

Although, some rats with all new mechanicals, running gear & wheels, on original preserved paintwork / signwriting, with preserved surface rust can indeed look the goods.

But sadly many, do indeed fall into the categories stated above.

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Actualy i like real ones . Sleepers. good mechanicals[modified] in something thats looks like its just been started and driven out of the chookshed

Also some very talented repo signage and retro paintwork out there.

S'pose i have a soft spot for genuinely old /properly engineered anything. tools/guns/engines/cars.

Just like to rib as well:)

cheers
    col

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I cant give a definition as such but for me it has to have a believable patina.

something that shows history of use and the people who have owned it. that you can feel the lives of those who have previously been associated with it.

col

8. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks guys. Getting a good picture. I don't mind the look, however it still seems not finished. Which, in itself, seems ironic for a restoration! I like the idea of modern mechanicals (more power, more stopping, more handling) but traditional looks with a hint of style eg. wide wheels. Overdoing it???

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Wide wheels can be a bit of a challenge to fit under the body. Cannot be too extreme without major mods. Get along to a few VW gatherings and get the real deal.

10. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be a fine line between rat 'look' and a mechanical, rusty heap that needs more love!

But also, what passes for rat in other countries like the USA & UK where road worthy criteria is a lot less strict than here in NSW is very different to Australia, or at least NSW! No vehicle can have mechanical defects or 'obvious' rust in NSW or it will fail pink slip, so a ratty looking bus should at least be rust free (except for patina or bogged up) and mechanically safe. In California, the only thing the authorities care about is emissions. The Kombi can literally have rust holes everywhere, be heavily modified, suspension slammed to the ground, no wipers, no blinkers, etc, etc and be registered. Now that's a rat! :lol:

Personally, like Col, I like original paint Kombis (polished up) that show a bit of history but mechanically & suspension & brakes are fully sorted. The rusty, dented ones are not my speed.....

11. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Correct Col, you only get the original paint once. If it's still got it's character and mechanically sound they look great.

12. Justin

Justin Active Member

are you for real !!??

i'd give my left nut for an awesome ratty lowie :D

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Whats so special about your attachment. I'd want more than that for a desirable driver!

14. Justin

Justin Active Member

i was just quietly trying to palm it off as it is rather tiny . . . :lol:

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Any of various long-tailed rodents resembling mice but larger, especially one of the genus Rattus.
    b. Any of various animals similar to one of these long-tailed rodents.

Seriously though.
    Shiny paint is classy.
    Good rats are just as good cause they have character. It is not something you can fake, it just is.

My favorite example at the moment, Classy lady with lots of character. If I had the money she would be mine.

http://www.thecoolvw.com/upload/120529125823.jpg
    http://www.thecoolvw.com/upload/120529125826.jpg

There are some good ones about. Bare minimal work done to get legal, ie, replace panels and sills neatly and file finish welds as much as possible.

As with any type of vermin though, you get some big ugly rats from time to time.
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372048&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 (Scroll down)
    And rolling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoocQyJC-0