1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemna - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by GypsyWannabe, Nov 26, 2011.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I have a bit of a dilemna, so thought I'd bounce it off the KC community to help me decide...

I am thinking of buying another bay. The T4 is great but I really miss driving a bay. This time, however, I want one that looks shmick. I took redundancy from Aussie Post after nearly 24 years and am now working for Bunnings for about half the pay (but much less travel and stress) and I think I can afford to treat myself a bit. :) I could buy a bus that already has all the work done - but a fancy paint job could be hiding something, or I could buy a good honest bus and get the work done how I want.

So... I have seen two solid buses. Both are in original paint with no rust. One is a camper (76 I think) in a mustardy colour and has factory air con (which is appealing) and the other is a 77 deluxe microbus in white. If I bought either I would want to paint them. I prefer the looks of a microbus over a camper but the camper probably needs less work and the air con is a plus. I could strip the camper interior out and just have it as a semi-camper and maybe get a ragtop fitted instead of the poptop.

Which way would you go?

Thanks,

Baz

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

I would go the micro Baz, but you could take off the pop top and get a paris beetle sunroof?

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

'77 is German, doesn't have a hole cut in the roof.

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Baz, that didn't take long :lol: Was it the pics. of Janie at Wollongong or Currarong cruises that did it ? No matter, there's definately a feel about driving a "real" kombi, hey....( no offence meant to ANYone that is not in a Bay....).

After Old Bar, I'm grateful for having the camper - just made it bearable with all the rain. Poor buggers in micro's that had tents were floating after day one...I suppose it just depends on what you want to do...Once you're inside driving & looking through the 'screen, they'll both feel the same anyway.
    Clean original body is def. the way to go - a blank canvas if you like.
    Good luck & look forward to the pics. Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  5. GypsyWannabe

Thanks Phil. Yes the 77 deluxe I have seen is a microbus, not a camper, and it has no metal behind the front seats (so I can put in swivel seats maybe?). The camper I have seen is a 76 (I think) and the interior is pretty good but I really don't think I need a full camper fitout. I'm short enough to move around in a microbus OK when needed! But I do like the idea of having power if needed, the factory air con is appealing and I kinda like the idea of having a rag top.

Baz

6. GypsyWannabe

Mark, partly due to seeing pics of Janie out and about but I have also seen a few nicely restored bays around locally lately. It's early days yet and I have to work out how much it's going to cost me in the end. I just figure it might be worth it to get all the paint work etc. done when the motor is dropped. If I can afford it. :wtf:

We'll see.

Does anybody here have factory air con?

Baz

7. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Did you check to see if the Acon actually still works Baz?

8. GypsyWannabe

It will just need a re-gas. I had another look at the camper today, in better weather, so I could climb underneath etc. It is in really good condition, all original. I am quite impressed. The camper interior and pop-top are very good and it would be a shame to strip it all out and install a ragtop.

I'm still only looking around at this stage. I just started thinking about a bay again when I had the shits with the T4 (some minor annoying things that will soon be sorted out). The T4 is a good daily drive and the bay camper would be a good daily drive also (wish it was around when I was first looking for a bay!). If I am going to take the plunge back into a T2, I think I would want it to be show quality. So, although the camper is very very good, I probably wouldn't have the $$$ to bring it it up to show quality. :wtf:

Cheers,

Baz

9. ybhve4

ybhve4 New Member

i think a build up is the best option to avoid getting some patched up bus....unless your paying top dollar and the person has reciepts for all work done.

im bias...i like the microbus' however if i was to get a camper i would do the rag top but have the 8 seater.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Big area for the AirCon to cool down and keep cool - never rely on something as simple as a regas to get it working :wtf:. The older units don't work as efficiently as the new ones.

11. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

Baz,

I would be very wary of the aircon 'just needing a re-gas' - that's was the impression i had of mine in the T3 (and that's 13 years newer) and about 2k or more later i finally had it working, then the knob fell off :lol: ...

jon

12. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

" then the knob fell off ... "

I hate when that happens!

13. pvwg

pvwg Member

Baz

Although you have a hard decision to make you cannot loose you want a bay and it will be yours , all yours.
    Both the camper and transporters have benefits listen to your heart not your brain that is my thoughts. Have recently been listening to my heart seems to be working thinking to much only causes worries that might never happen anyway.
    Hope to see the photos sooooon.

14. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with the "regas". They only leak in the fist place if something is wrong. Seals in the compressor, crack in the evaporator or condenser or faulty piping. Also the original gas type has been changed and there are new components required to swap it to a modern gas. Work out your price without it, and if it turns out to be ok, you have made a win. Dont get it just because it has it and you are expecting it to work.

My 2 bits.

Adrian

15. GypsyWannabe

Re the air con. My vehicle source is reliable and everything would be brought up to spec before a purchase decision is made. :) I think I'd prefer a microbus anyway. A camper is a lot of weight to lug around when I don't really need it. But I might be persevering with the T4 for a while yet anyway... :rolleyes:

Baz

16. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

If it's a decent camper it'd be a shame to gut it, especially when you could just choose the micro. We all dig ragtops though!

17. GypsyWannabe

Aaahhhh!!!!! Is it normal, after selling a Kombi and moving onto something else, which is really more practical/modern/reliable, that, about every 6 months you regret it and start looking at Kombis again??? :wtf:

The missus said she never thought I would sell Janie and has encouraged me to look for another bay. I never had a speeding ticket in Janie but copped a 6 point infraction (double demerits) last Easter and another one this Easter in the T4, leading to a 3-month suspension notice... I'm taking the 12-month good behaviour option and driving soooo carefully (might need to wear a hat to complete the image!). Surely it will be easier in a bay!

The T4's a great, strong, daily drive but it just doesn't excite me like a bay! The heart might win over the head, this time and I might part with more $$$ than I should, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Baz

18. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Of course it will be worth it :) either one will bring a smile I'm sure. As for the aircon I would just open the window ;)

19. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Well we have read a lot of stories on here over the years but yours is the best. Only a true dedicated Kombi lover would risk their license in order to win their wife over to get another kombi. :lol:

I hope you have moved that offending letter box and garden in readiness for the new purchase.

Welcome back Baz, I'm sure there are many of us that look forward to hearing about your adventures with the 'new' kombi.
    :)

20. GypsyWannabe

Very funny, Lorraine! :) The letterbox was replaced and a new garden planted. The frangipani was relocated and is coming along slowly!

Still early days yet but I plan to inspect a sweet looking microbus this weekend. The price will be far and above what I was originally considering but it certainly appears that nothing has been left undone in the resto, leaving me nothing to do but enjoy driving her (carefully!) although she might need a name change to something more aligned to my nature. Hint: she does not have a Type 4 motor and she is only 10 years younger than I am... ;)

Baz