1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dipstick oil temp senders

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Archeress, May 25, 2011.

1. Archeress

Archeress Guest

hi all..
    these dipstick oil temp senders for around 150 bucks. Are they the goods?. Can a fool like me install it. Just wondering seeing as i have a new engine i thought maybe now is the time to start keeping an eye on temps. i have usually just flown by the seat of my pants in a kombi and never worried about it.

Any brand or the vdo ones on here and jk

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
  2. teeveezed

teeveezed Member

I have one, but I got a friend to instal it, I'm not mechanically minded so I wanted to keep an eye on the oil temperature.

3. JayBone

JayBone Member

I installed one last year, they come with a wiring diagram. You need to be able to find ignition live, headlight live and a good earth. You can do it all from the dash which keeps it nice and neat. Buy yourself a nice connector block to make all the connections. Remember you also need enough wire to run from the engine compartment to the dash. I routed mine into the cab and along the internal guttering, i hate to see wires!

The one i got was a VDO one, make sure you buy a VDO gauge to go with it or it could be inaccurate. Another tip: boil some water and drop the sender in so you know how accurate it is before you start relying on it. It has been a godsend for us, we would have killed our engine by now without it!

If you get it all wired up and it doesnt work, the culprit is probably your earth connection. The bain of all kombi electrics!

This will help you

http://www.cjroberts.com/steve/ht/gauges/dipstick.htm

Good luck

4. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Thanks jaybone....perfect.:)

5. Dip stick senders are inaccurate as when you get oil surge when cornering no oil is actually touching the dipstick so the reading is inaccurate. Found this Out the hard way!! Now I have a temp sender fitted in inspection plate in crankcase so it now constantly is submerged in oil. Gauge reads correctly as we tested oil temp with snap on temp gauge. Make sure you always have the correct oil sender that matches your gauge parameters or it will read wrong as well!!

6. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

hi archeress
    i did it a little different and put a oil temp sender via the sump plug and must admit I am happy with how it works.

I put the temp gauge up in the clock hole.

for a coupel of weeks of doing short trips I was wondering if it I did it right then realised, it was pretty true , the kombi takes a while to warm up sitting at 50-75D then once I get it on the highway at 100kms an hour it soon come up to 95-100d .

on a hot day if I put the foot down , wound the 1600cc rubber band up and hit 110-120kms it soons goes to 110 -120 degress getting a bit hot

7. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm doing the same as Paul. I'm having a sump plug sender fitted with the VDO gauge put in the spare clock hole.

8. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

SunnyJim & LIFE IN THE LOW LANE, like your ideas do you have any photos of what it looks like and the type of sender you put in, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

9. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Kombi Madness,
    Can do let us know who is doing the sump plug sender for you ? and or where you get your hands on one, they seem the way to go.

10. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

That has been the advice from my mechanic as well! "Crankcase over dipstick any day"...

11. KombiMadness

Milly, PM sent...

12. Archeress

Archeress Guest

Thanks guys for all your oily input.:D

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Had a VDO dipstick sender on my Kombi,s for about 35 years. Still works fine.
    Sender wire from gauge to sender. +12v ignition and earth to gauge. Illumination from existing lights. No rocket science involved.

14. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Kombi Madness, Do you have the details of your sender, Ta very much

15. KombiMadness

G'day Rossco - PM sent...

16. SunnyJim

17. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Sunnyjim

Thanks for that I'll contact Mick and arrange to have one sent down, its seems to be the way to go.
    Cheer's

18. SunnyJim

sump plug

milly
    remember to specify the diameter of the sump plug, i know a few people have got this wrong
    alos i had a lowlight , think different to a late bay??

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Always a bit concerned about stuff hanging under vehicles. Bummer if you break the sender off and dump the oil!

20. Nigel

Nigel Member

At 150 Aus$, that seems rather expensive, especially as a VDO gauge & sender kit, are less than 6/10 of that, here in Great Britain & Europe!

[​IMG]

The VDO dipstick oil-temperature gauge-senders, for VDO 50~150 ÂșC oil-temperature gauges, are available in three different lengths (i.e. 327 mm, 435 mm or 507 mm); the choice of which will be influenced by the effective length of one's engine oil-dipstick, downward from the upper end of the dipstick-tube.

http://www.ahnendorp.com/VDO-Anzeigen-und-mehr/Oeltemperatur-Kit-VDO-mit-Oelpeilstab-327mm.html

http://www.ahnendorp.com/VDO-Anzeig...-Kit-VDO-mit-Oelpeilstab-327mm-1439-1440.html

http://www.ahnendorp.com/VDO-Anzeigen-und-mehr/Oeltemperatur-Kit-VDO-mit-Oelpeilstab-507mm.html

http://www.ahnendorp.com/VDO-Anzeigen-und-mehr/Oeltemperatur-Kit-VDO-mit-Oelpeilstab-327mm-1439.html

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/oil-temperature-gauge-kit-j11684.html

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/vdo-dipstick-oil-temp-sender-435mm-j11572.html

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011