'Dipstick' Oil Temp Senders

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by phantom, Jul 17, 2007.

1. phantom

phantom New Member

Hi all,

Having just had some issues with a new 'Dipstick' Oil Temp Sender, I thought I would post some details on here, in case anyone in future has the same experiences.

The patient was a 72 DoubleCab that we recently rescued from a VW graveyard, with a standard 1600tp. The car had an oil temperature gauge fitted from its previous life but no sender.

After some investigation I went with a dipstick oil sender, as the car would need no fiddly modifications...just change the dipstick, wire it up, and go. I did find it hard finding a supplier of these senders as (I was told at 2 places) VDO don't make the senders anymore (unsure how factual that is). The Bus Stop had stocks of the sender, and I bought it from there.

I had some issues fitting the sender, hence this post.

- the dipstick was too long (as far as I was concerned), it was around twice the length of the normal dipstick. Subsequently, the collar came nowhere near the top of the oil sleeve. Advice came that the collar section of the dipstick is adjustable, which it was (small screw that I didn't see), and you can adjust if accordingly. Worked well.

- the length of the dipstick sender meant that the top ended up hanging around in the engine bay. Result - dipstick top rested against the generator pulley. Obviously not a good idea. Using some plastic straps I gently flexed the sender to one side and attached it to some air pipe, thus moving it away from the pulley by a few cm. The dipstick seems to have a bit of give in it, luckily.

- hint from Roy - keep your original dipstick in the engine bay, as the sender dipstick does not have graduated markings when checking your oil. Use your original dipper for oil checks, then reinstall your sender.

Roadtest has been successful, I don't yet know how the temps will be for the Kombi as most of the driving since has been sub-zero, but time will tell. The temp is registering on the gauge, therefore its working - thats all that counts.

The back-up support from the Bus Stop has been great, Roy has messaged me a number of times until we got this figured out. He also contacted his overseas supplier to get the right info. Big thanks to Roy.

If you're looking at running an oil temp gauge, I reckon a dipstick sender is an easy way to go.

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Super Moderator

I keep the original dipstick handy (and clean) for checking the level.... I am thinking of marking the sender unit though. I managed to snap the sender while checking the oil so would prefer not to have to keep swapping it!

I am a fan of the dipstick unit - although I find myself always staring at the gauge....

3. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus New Member

I ended up bending the dipstick sender to about 45 degs so that it rested on the heating ducts, never had issues with it. A very easy retro fit.

I ended up running a 5 core trailer cable from the engine bay to the dash, so that I could install the temp gauge, a pressure gauge and a tacho, also running a couple of direct feeds from the battery for the spotties I put up front (fused in engine bay of course, with relays under the dash).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  4. Nigel

Nigel Member

Long & short, VDO oil-temperature dipstick senders

VDO make (or at least, used to make), two different lengths of oil-temperature dipstick sender, whose VDO part numbers, end with 001 & 002, for the short & long senders respectively. The short one, is appropriate for the VW 1600 Type 1 style engine, whilst the longer one, was more commonly used on the VW 17/17/2000 Type 4 style engines.

5. Alpal

Alpal Active Member

The active part of the dipstick is a little thermister at the bottom of the dipstick. A gentle bend would probably be ok. Have had my unit for about thirty years and its still working well. First installed in a 69 bay 1600 then transferred to the 79 Bay 2l.
    I keep the original dipper under the drivers seat with a half litre of 'top-up' oil and a rag.

6. Rossco WA

Rossco WA New Member

Apal,
    I put a thread on this subject yesterday, but minimal feedback. It related to the lengths of dipstick senders, type 1 & type 4 engines. Mine is a 2l, so as you say the 1600 sender fits ok into the 2000 motor and these are shorter as well. Cannot figure why they sell them at different lengths and so long for the 2l, JK sell them 435mm & 615mm, 1600, 2000 repectively. If 1600, fits 2000, I will but the shorter one avoid all the hassle of all that length sticking out.

7. VanAime

VanAime New Member

I've got a VDO dipstick sender unit and it's only about the length of the original dipstick. I can't help but wonder why they'd make the longer ones in the first place.

Mine already had groves etched into it by previous owner so you can gauge how much oil is in the sump. Any deeper and I reckon he would have cut through and ruined it. As it is, it's very hard to check the oil using the sender as being round, the oil tends to get smeared up the unit making it very difficult to read, although if I'm patient, I can usually read it ok.

8. Rossco WA

Rossco WA New Member

Thanks for feedback, is yours a 2L, as I'm sure the shorter one would fit as the 2L is not a long dipstick. JK shorter one is 435mm long, is that the same length of yours approx.
    I will keep theoriginal dipstick to check the oil.