1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

distributor cap and rotor

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by REB, Jan 26, 2014.

1. REB

REB Active Member

vw audi
    050 jfud
    0231 168 005
    021 905 20B
    These are the numbers on my dizzy.
    How do I know what distributor cap and rotor button to buy?

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The third number which is the VW number does not look right. It should have nine numerical digits.

3. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

That distributor is 021905205P

All 10 digit numbers below are BOSCH part numbers.

Cap: 1235 522 056 (GB739)
    Rotor:1234 332 144(GB331) This is the correct rev limiting rotor... you can use GB782(non suppressed) or GB792(suppressed) but don't cry if something sticks and ur engine explodes from no rev limiter.
    Condenser: 1237 330 252 (GB808)
    Contacts: 1237 013 044 (GB534)
    Vacuum Can: 1237 121 581...You can buy new or get it reconditioned(couple of places in Oz that open them up and replace the diaphragm- DONT throw it away..).
    Shaft bushes:1230 301 005.(You need TWO...soak them in engine oil for 24 hours before installing, they are porous...easy to damage too...). When techs say that the dizzy shaft is worn, They are LYING....The shafts never wear, just the bushes. Replace these and "spark scatter" disappears, especially the upper bush. Use the VW Starter bush drift to install(VW223 from memory or VW223A-the later one)...perfect fit and no hassles.
    Small parts kit(shims, etc): 1237 010 007.
    Fibre washers(The small parts kit has only one, you need TWO): 1230 107 011.

Distributor end float(feeler gauge under the drive dog): 0.002"-0.004"..most old distributors have about 2mm(0.080") and people wonder why they have distributor issues...

When ur done there...you need to find somebody with a distributor machine to check the advance curve against spec.

There are are also a few other traps that will ruin your day in regard to rebuilding these things.. Pretty easy to see where the coin disappears in a good rebuild...but the fact is that there is NOTHING that will treat your 2L motor well like an original distributor.

Any other questions if you want to get adventurous, let me know..! :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. 1500king

^^^ some of the part numbers are also good for the Digifant/Digijet dizzies, but in place of points/ condenser, you need the Hall module.

5. REB

REB Active Member

What electronic ignition would be good in this dizzy.
    2l fuel injected motor

6. 1500king

none.

You can create the californian Electronic setup with an early watercooled WBX distributor and ignition setup, but you need to change the vac can and advance springs.

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What's the Californian thing?

8. 1500king

Distributor 039905205C. You need to de-smog it with the correct vac can. They had the dual vac can to retard the timing at idle(reduces HC's when retarded) with the rest of HC(Hydrocarbon) control finished off by the Catalytic converter.

Alternatively, use a 1.9L WBX dizzy and re-curve it with 2L bus distributor parts.

You can use the wiring loom, ignition module and electronic coil from an 84-85ish 1.9LWBX. You can also use the idle stabiliser which will hold idle at 950rpm with timing advance control.

You can also rob the wiring loom, ignition control module and coil from a early to mid 80's dead Audi 5+5/ 100....you will find the ignition module even has the 211 Kombi part number on it!! :)

The ignition loom is stand -alone just for the electronic setup. :)

I plan to use this when I install A/C with the idle stabiliser as it is perfect to hold idle rpm when the compressor kicks in. The Idle stabiliser shuts down at 1200rpm(when you are just off idle) and you are then back on the distributor advance curve.

mmmmm...going off on bloody tangeants again!! LOL!! all he wanted was a correct rotor and Cap!! LOL!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Be careful with Audi, as some of them use an inductive coil pick up, not a hall unit.

You can also use the ignition module from a few local cars (eg Camira) As long as they have the same 7(?) pin plug.

10. 1500king

Yes the early 80's 100's and 5+5's are all Hall effect distributors... Know where you are coming from though... Volvo's use an inductive pickup(and are a TWO wire lead, not THREE). Well aware of the differences! ;)

In regard to modules, you need to check the part number...not all are compatible.

11. chewtah

chewtah Guest

You could go to a VW bloke with the cap in your hand and ask for one the same, perhaps? Not too hard to put it back on.

12. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I was wondering what places stock these Bosch part numbers? or do you have to order them?

Cheers

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Try Ashdown as they are the Bosch auto electrical suppliers. They had stuff I was looking for that no one else even had listings for. Quite a few branches out there.

Adrian

14. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

This seems to be closest to you mate.
    [TABLE="align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Regency Park[/TD]
    [TD]08 8347 1637[/TD]
    [TD]1 Pambula St Regency Park SA 5010[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

15. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Thanks for that Brian and Adrian, I will give them a ring and see what they come up with.
    Also, any tips for getting the little pin out under the spring at the bottom of the dizzy? Can't get mine out for the life of me.