1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dizzy hot to touch

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by deepburn13, Nov 6, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi all, So my distributor is really hot when i touch it after only a 20min drive. Any ideas why? Cant be good right?
    Cheers

2. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

So i got the chance to have look at the dizzy today. Firstly the vacc hose had come off of the carby, not sure if that would explain heat though. And secondly i took the cap and rotor off to find that the wiring for the points had started to melt! So it must be gettin pretty damn hot in there! Anyone have any ideas why??
    Thanks,
    Scott

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

How's the oil level….?
    Dizzy is driven by a gear that is subject to hot oil in the crankcase……low oil level + overheating engine = transfer of excessive heat through dizzy drive gear/shaft.
    Strange that points wire would start to melt based on that though…..;) check all connections are tight….eliminate anything that would cause excessive resistance.
    Start simple & work back from there…..

4. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks very much! I went to add oil today but only had a little left. First on the shopping list! Cheers!

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

have you put a few drops of light oil on the felt on top of the shaft in dissy?
    also do points look burned.? if so condensor may need replacing? replace it anyway.
    could be a coil issue. run tests on it
    just guesses

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You aren't running a flamethrower or similar high energy electronic ignition coil or a coil designed to have a resistor connected in series (for example at Bosch GT40R which is the resistor requiring version of the common GT40 coil) on a standard set of points? If the coil current is higher than designed it may cause some of the problems you describe including premature wear of the points. May even be a failing coil itself. Might be worth trying another standard coil to see if there is a difference.

Adrian

7. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Thanks for the replies all. Ill get another look at it tomorrow and see how i go.
    Cheers!

8. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Actually just had a quick look at the coil, looks like it says GT40T. Any ideas on that type of coil?

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

these are the "square" type - not the standard can type?

If you search on the net there seems to be a fair bit on the 40T having heat problems

I would be putting a standard coil in for starters

10. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Yeah i found a bit saying they are higher voltage so i guess that could well explain my fried points wire and hot dizzy. I'll wack my spare from my other bus in and see how we go. Cheers guys!