1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Dormobile on Ebay

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Deluxe, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Hi all,

Saw this pop up on ebay - looked too good to be true and it seems like it is. I was taken in and emailed the guy yesterday - thought I might pick up a bargain (even though I can't afford ANOTHER van)....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1971-VW-Dorm...wItemQQptZAU_Caravans_RVs?hash=item35a87f2bd2

I emailed asking about rust, log books and more photos and heres the reply....

Hello and thank you for your interest,

We've owned this camper for 5 years and have travelled extensively. Ready to use, very reliable. I bought her a bit over 5 years ago with the intention of doing her up and travelling around australia, but due to some changes no longer have the time or funds. Her body is in excellent condition with no rust, it has been repaired 2 years ago, and it is currently rego'd with 5 months left - registered in VIC. She is a great start for someone wanting to do up a Kombi. The engine start first time, no noises or smoke from the exhaust.
    Anyway I will only deal through ebay for our own protection, no money first to me, no camper first to you. I am registered with their secure trader department and they will handle the trade. Your funds will be 100% insured by eBay. So if you are still interested please make me an offer and maybe we will complete the transaction together. As soon as I will receive your offer if OK, I will issue you an invoice.
    I'm looking for your answer!
    Regards,

Alarm bells rang so I contacted ebay and they said that they do not offer such secure trading options and they are investigating the ad.

Does anyone know the van in the pics? Looks rather lovely.

Goes to show once again that if something looks too good to be true, then it probably is!!!

2. Megs11

Megs11 New Member

Wowsers, thank you!

3. Marto

Marto New Member

I asked some questions about this one on eBay and got EXACTLY the same Email reply... is that dodgy or what?!?!?

4. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Thats not in Australia...its in the UK I bet...look closely at those plates. Just a scammer...watch out.

5. 4inabus

4inabus Active Member

I think your right about the rego in the pics. From memory the 'rego' stickers are round.

6. Misabi

Misabi Member

Yep, UK tax discs are round (hence the name 'discs :) ), or at least they were 10 years ago... bloody hell, how the time flies!

7. Meggsie

Meggsie New Member

Thanks

Thanks for that we were just looking at that ourselves, Hubby was getting carried away with how nice it was, looked like a bargain.
    Cheers

8. Guzzler Chief

Guzzler Chief New Member

Does sound too good to be true, but the payment options does say cash on delivery, so you could bid on it and if you win only pay once you are in possession ???? I also believe that paypal has some sort of insurance scheme if there is dodgy ebaying going on but that would be a whole lot of hassle to get your funds back !!!!

As always be careful on evil bay !!!

9. mannmade

mannmade Member

Has anyone asked if they can view it? would be an interesting response :wtf:

10. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

I asked this morning but no reply... will let you know if I hear back.

11. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Funnily enough, still no reply

12. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

No reply from ebay to my email reporting a suspicious ad. It's still up for sale. Tempted to buy it (without handing over any cash) and see what happens....

13. Thomas

Thomas New Member

i would be keen.

14. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

I emailed about it:
    Hi
    I'm in Footscray - and sick of this non-stop rain, we've collected 3" this last 5 days.
    I'd like to come have a look at this VW asap. It is just what I am looking for, I had a 1970 Westy back when I was only 25.
    Where is it? When is a good time to inspect?

15. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

This sort of thing is also becoming common on other sites - hence the importance of checking out the kombi either yourself or by trusted proxy. Sadly, these sites place too much importance on the honesty of sellers, and are apparently reluctant to check or edit ads without compelling evidence lest they become liable for the veracity of their ads. :umm:

16. Beerwagen

Beerwagen Member

It looks really nice.
    If it didn't appear to be shonky I would be interested.
    Maybe the seller is based in Nigeria.

17. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

That's part of the trick - offer up a really nice kombi at a great price, so that the potential buyer feels that they have to get in quick and therefore have no time to check out the kombi or the seller's credentials. If a kombi seems too good to be true - then it probably is, and extra caution is therefore warranted. It is much better to miss out on an apparent bargain than discover the bitter truth.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  18. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Okay, so I heard back from eBay and I think (as often happens with overseas contact centres), my report was lost in translation.

They thanked me for reporting the item and proceeded to explain that I had received an email from someone pretending to be the seller. Therefore it seems that the item is (in their eyes) legitimate but the contact I received wasn't. What they failed to explain to me was how the email address in the item description (the one from which I received a dodgy reply) got there.

I have written back to tell them that they need to remove the item....

Here is their initial reply in full:

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to eBay. I'm Debra and I appreciate the chance to assist you regarding an email you received.
    The message you received is fake and was made to look like it had been sent by an eBay user.
    Please be aware that some eBay members have reported receiving messages stating that eBay has a warehouse and has inspected the item in question or that eBay has insured the seller to cover possible fraud or even making false claims that eBay or SquareTrade will act as an escrow service. Again, these messages appear to come from eBay or other legitimate companies, but in fact do not. It is important to remember that eBay acts only as a venue for buyers and sellers and does not handle any of the items listed on the site or act as an escrow service.

In addition, we do not recommend the use of instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram, and we ask that users decline sending payment in cases where these are the only methods of payment offered by the seller. Generally, if payment is sent using an instant cash wire transfer service and the item is not delivered as promised, no recourse is available for recovering funds. In most cases, an escrow service should be used when purchasing high dollar value items. More information on the benefits and risks of individual payment methods can be found at:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/methods.html

If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay or through the email forwarding system, open a new Web browser, type www.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBay site. Sign into your account and check My Messages in your my eBay. If you get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks like it's from eBay about a problem with your account or requesting personal information, check My Messages first. Also, only emails from registered members will be sent to your My Messages. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the email you received. We appreciate your efforts in keeping eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,
    Debra C.

Trust & Safety Team

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  19. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Sent a message to him yesterday to inspect the Kombi and still no reply.

Just sent another message offering $15K to end the auction now. Let's see if he takes the bait.

20. vinny

vinny Active Member

what are you going to do if the sale is legit? :lol: