does this meet criteria for performance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by roverbay, Mar 22, 2013.

1. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day All. started kombi mods on Friday. moved pics. I'm giving it a non gender name ECLECTIC as a choice to describe what will be going into it so I hope you all enjoy following the build. Any information of parts or procedures is available to anyone who is interested.
    ernie

Attached Files:

• 080.jpg
      080.jpg
      File size:
      14 KB
      Views:
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      82.9 KB
      Views:
    • 097.jpg
      097.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
    • 127.jpg
      127.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. gusfallis

gusfallis Member

NO!!
    Need a few more cylinders than in the photo to make up for the desecration you have displayed.
    Make it worth while, at least 8 cylinders plus unnatural aspiration, then try and make it legal.
    Look forward to more photos of your build, hopefully.
    Cheers, Gus.

3. kombivan

kombivan New Member

looks interesting at least you have the engine in the right place for handling.

4. kombivan

kombivan New Member

wouldn't you need some beams to support engine running length ways independant of the body so the sliding door doesn't sag.

5. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Whats that motor? I cant tell, those pics are a bit small. Looks like a fun build though.

6. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

With 60lbs of boost it will meet the criteria ;)

7. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all its a rover v8. Iam building a seperate 10cm x 5cm frame that will be bolted inside the kombi rails to support the motor transmission & transfer case in order from front to rear is the rover bolted to a hiace 5speed alloy box same size as supra but with side shift linkages using dellow bellhousing behind this is a 720 nissan divorced transfer case running to vt commodore v6 irs diff centres front spindles are out of a izusu rodeo the are at engineers being reamed out to accept kombi balljoints & top camber adjuster. Iam putting 2 centre pin mounts either side of front diff similar to the bay's used as mules for the syncro development there are some good pics of it on the late bay site out of the uk i am not after a lot of power just enough to do the job. has anyone on the goldcoast had a look at the maroon bay running a gen 11 chev in the back its a bit to big for my purpose light weight but enough to be comfortable st highway speed. The kombi is at my daughter's place on the gold coast I go down to babysit wed thurs once every 2nd week.If anyone on goldie is interested enough you are more than welcome to come & have a brew & see what Iam hoping to achieve. drop me a pm to contact.
    Since sstarting thread I have relocated the center arm to below beam instead of thru the middle giving room for front diff
    Ernie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  8. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all this is the nissan transfercase & relocated center pin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

g'day all.picked up intermediate shaft to test length pics. Just have to get gearbox yoke machined now to fit into vw drive flange. you can see the original nissan shaft in pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow,

Lots of effort here and very interesting too.

Watching with interest!

Love to see how this beast turns out - are you allowed to get these mods approved in QLD these days?

12. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day syncro27. I am meeting with mods man on Monday so should know if I can go 4x4 or just 2x4 will post the answer then picked up the front diff open center so I can start setting up mounts I have a complete rear suspension tube & front beams in shed to save getting under the van to do all the jig designing. Will post some pics later next week of their progress once diffs are located I can send the axles to be done kombi outers commodore inners on rear front kombi inners rodeo outers. I hope to get the 1st spindle back tomorrow to see if it will workout fingers xed. I may have to spread the beam tubes like the Brazilian JEG had theirs not to much work to do to achieve what I'm trying for something a bit different. All for now
    ernie

13. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. Another pic comparing nissan drive shaft to shorter creation the kombi drive flange has to machined out & toyota slip yoke end machined to press fit into kombi flange like the kombi axle into the nissan tail shaft flange.
    [​IMG]

14. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Lovin' your skills Ernie !! Hope it all comes together...& lasts !! Cheers, Mark

15. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day oldman. I have not stop thinking process that sometimes wakes me up with an idea. I have been building this thing called ECLECTIC no boys or girls name for it as nothing is going to describe it other than WTF. But unfortunately I lack the equipment & the technical skills to do my own machining so I have to get everything done for the project I'm using a very good shop in Nambour but I have to wait for him to fit in the small job's I take him but there's plenty I can do around it while I wait. The next job is the support cradle for the drive train it will be bolted to the reinforced chassis & lift out as a complete unit with motor gearbox transfer case. The biggest drawback is that I live on the sunny coast & the bay is on the goldcoast & I babysit my granddaughters down there 2 days a fortnight so between mine & son in laws sitting next to it I work on both so keeps me busy his ej22 is in my shed while I do the computer harness for it so at least I can do a bit on it when I'm home was fitting a 1600 box but everyone has different opinions on what's best for that swap any input gladly accepted as far as ratios go I have contact with someone who can build me box with selected gears so chuck ratios at me. all for now off to shop to hopefully pick up front spindle for test fit pics tonight if it's ready
    I hope it last's the body & floor are 90% rust free and we all now what there capable of I will take some better pics of the body on Tuesday.
    a quick costing in dollars
    motor $113.75
    gearbox including slip yoke $200.0
    transfer case $20.00
    diff center's $220.
    machine work to date for shaft $25.00
    front spindles freebie
    I'm picking up another set of spindles complete with axles tonight $30.00
    so not a big outlay yet
    the body is in need of a buff & the roof is ratstyle so I will give the roof a quick rub & spray it just stop what could turn nasty
    ernie

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  16. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. diff for front 1/2 hour set up now make mounting bracket it will take the standard commodore mount Note the bent axles they are hose for checking clearance & loose tierod nuts plent of room there. Note the clearance under relocated center steering arm lot less complicated than what I was going to do by following pics of the factory built 4x4 bay & the JEG in that they used double arms lot of work remount pivot boxes took me 10 minutes to modify pin to fit upside down. next job is to build the frame to reinforce the chassis then the frame to take the drive train that's a couple of hours on Wednesday so pics of what it took to do build. Still waiting for the spindle hope full for tomorrow. If you look at the diff flange you will see the Nissan uni joint flange it is the same locator size as the commodore so the Datsun 180b half shaft depending on length & drilling 4 holes in diff flange it will bolt straight up. All for now.
    ernie

[​IMG]

17. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Love your work Ernie.

You are putting lots of R & D into this 4wd bay. Shame it doesnt have a rear mounted engine (from any vehicle model) but that would make the transfer case thing difficult but you will end up with an off-road weapon - maybe a bit noisy though.

Keep the photos and explanations coming - they are great!

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

"Eclectic"....perfect name for your build. Love it !! Cheers, Mark

19. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. some pics of the van
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all syncro27 I'm going to use an inboard outboard fibreglass engine box that came of a boat with a hot 350 chev in it & was pretty quite I don't think it will be as noisy as most forward control vans. I plan on running a single tailpipe to help as well using p6b manifolds that hug the block so the hole doesn't have to made any bigger to fit
    extractors. Some pics of van & underneath t he floor.
    Some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]