1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does this meet criteria for performance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by roverbay, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

I like your idea..
    Are you going Digital for the speedo too??

2. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good evening kombi-man. Yes I found a couple in the states but a bit dear at the time being. The Instrument bloke up here is going to build a impulse control for me. The Toyota speedo VSS is 2 pulses the rover runs on 5 so a bit of science coming into the build.

3. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

4. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

5. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good afternoon all. I made a bit of progress this week found after a lot of looking that Mitsubishi Magna short front Axles are the right spline & length for ECLECTIC. I had the inner cv modified to fit the commodore diff centre so the front end is finally sorted out parts wise now to assemble it into a working unit make sure everything turns the way they should then disassemble it to have the new bushes fitted into the beam tubes in place of the end bearings. this will save the use of cut & shut axles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

that just doenst look right seeing the two beams with driveshaft sitting in the middle - well done Ernie - another step closer

Resnort likes this.
  7. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

good evening all. the rear setup with the lift plates & arms insitu. I has achieved lift without moving the springplates on the torsion bars. here are a couple of pics giving an idea of ride height. Note the standard Kombi tyre sitting under the sill. due to tyre size I may have to move the new panels out by welding a shaped spacer between the panel & the body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  8. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Damn. You're in nose bleed territory up there. Can't wait to see it's stance when it's all done.

9. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

I have to look at fitting Porsche CV's on the rear. Lucky the son works for a European parts importer.

10. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

930 flanges seem to be popular so i imagine the CV's get used as well.

11. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

I have adaptors on the diff to take the kombi CV's so I will get 4 new ones made to bolt them to both ends. These will help with the lift angles from the hubs to commodore diff centre. Ok found out hey don't fit the shaft I did some quick measuring yesterday the syncro shaft is 75mm longer than the bay a commodore VT is 65mm longer so by spacing the rear hubs a suggested by a former Baja DC owner it will give more movement on the longer axles. I only have to have the commodore spacer made in reverse to fit the cv to the hub shaft.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Maxa1967 likes this.
  12. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

been working on the rear guard arches I have to either use fiberglass flairs or do something different to everyone else. Here's my different approach. 10cm exhaust pipe 2 mandrel bends. cut in half then the side to be used cut into half again. then trim the new arches. Tack weld them together & this is what it turned into. I will be adding a ection of flat cut to fit inside the pipe to screw up to the body using rivnuts nutserts what ever you call them. Along with Beetle type guard piping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  13. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Looking good.

A little late now but. Speedhut do all sorts of awesome customizable gauges. Gps speedos and all

14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

15. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

These are the ones I have in the wifes daily DSC_5425 (Medium).JPG

DSC_5096 (Medium).JPG

roverbay and Dapom like this.
  16. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

that looks good. I had a look at their site last night nice stuff on there. Did you buy them local.

17. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Nope. straight from their site, the US dollar was better then.

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

You've certainly got a lot of creativity going on there Ernie.

19. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. I had a debacle with the inner cv's not looking I sent them away to be modified. On their return I couldn't fit them to the magna shafts turns out aftermarket companies don't follow OEM sizing's need 26 spline these are 27 so back to starting point. the Caloundra CV radiator Man rebuilt a set of Magna's for me. & the price was really good. I plan on bolting a v pulley onto the diff flange & turning the diff with an electric motor to check for binding through the full lock to lock the suspension travel is less than the rodeo so up down should be ok as the axles are square to the diff in the neutral position equal travel up & down

Syncro27 likes this.
  20. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

So its a hybrid as well Ernie :cool:.