1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does this meet criteria for performance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by roverbay, Mar 22, 2013.

1. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

not quite once I get a Prius air con compressor it will be close. the motor is only to test the cvs on lock to lock under rotation

2. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

the latest part for ECLECTIC. I'm picking up the roof of 1 of these tomorrow it should fit with a bit of massaging. It has an air con system behind the drivers seat that I plan on using by turning the out lets to face the front

[​IMG]

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow Ernie, four years on and your still finding new ways to make this build unique!
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall when it comes time for a RWC..........;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Ah......... the madness continues,

Nice to meet you at the abbey Ernie

5. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Yes the vw social scene is a great venue for meeting people face to face I missed Brad Sellick parked next to you.

6. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

SHHHOOOOSH Mark. We don't talk about that dreaded RWC yet. I plan on getting the roof stripped down to the inner & out skins less from drip rails down. the sit it insitu to see how much need to be trimmed of the vw roof I hope to get away with recessing the new roof into the kombi then have an angle filler panel to weld around the perimeter.

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good afternoon all. I will have the roof on thursday so spend some time drilling out spot welds

oldman likes this.
  8. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

I think you will have to call this kombi Frankenbus Ernie.

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Actually that roof will look like a Brazilian Bay style roof if its wide enough.

Those tarago things look quite narrow compared to a bay kombi - will be a very interesting hybrid

David H likes this.
  10. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

I picked it up today will put up a pic tomorrow I have to build some type of stand to put it upside down on so I can strip out the interior. then the cutting & spot weld drilling begins I was surprised at the good condition of the interior blinds that pull out to close off the roof panels. once its down to the gutters I can sit it on top to mark out for fit

11. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Think you need to do a severe roof drop so that the windows act like clear engine covers a la some fancy itie sports car ;)
    Remove cab area roof and and windscreen down to waistline and put in a couple of roadster windscreens for driver and passenger.

Resnort likes this.
  13. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Now now Col. Be nice. But I understand what you mean. I need a rear seat for sauna application

14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

final CV set up using Magna inners modified using the Commodore output shafts spigotted onto the CV body.

[​IMG]

This combination of commodore CVs will form the rear tailshaft set up. the axles will be machined to take custom 10mm thick flanges to bolt to the commodore diff & the transfercase the overall length is 28cms 1st attempt to long

[​IMG]
    2nd version CV's bolted together with spacer. The finished unit will have a 15mm spacer with flanges to centre the CV's & 12 threaded holes to bolt CV's up to it

[​IMG]custom flanges to be welded to the CV shafts.

[​IMG]

The shaft is the diff output axle shaft these will be machined to fit the flanges

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    David H likes this.
  15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Oh my golly roverbay;). Bloody impressive:cool:. More angles than the last snake I ran over.
    Can't wait to see the roof on.
    Cheers

16. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

I picked up a rusty front chassis rails & floor to use as a jig. to set up the steering rack & bevel box. I found the bevel box easier to fit than the T3 type looking at how others have done there's. the set up is upside down at the time been. I have to set the ride height then I can turn it over on the engine stand to set the bump rubber positions. the next job is having the new steering shaft made. in this pic you see that the steering fits through the chassis rail on the left side the rail will be tubed, On the left side I had to cut out a section there will be a hand folded 4mm plate to weld into the space then the rack mounting bracket will bolt over the top. 2 plates will be formed to strengthen the sides of the rails .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Mitsubishi L300 bevel box. A really easy conversion it utilises 1 original kombi steering box hole 1 has to be drilled & tubed & the top 1 will bolt to the plate I have made to hold it tight to the rail.

[​IMG]

The bevel box has moved down on the angle of the shaft to more level

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the position of the tube & lower bolt hole. It has to be tubed

[​IMG]

this is the plate it will be welded to the rail there will 6 bolts through it plus the weld. It has to be trimmed down to size.

[​IMG]

This is the work involved in fitting a T3 bevel box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  17. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good evening all. More progress today, I notched the right side & made up a template to form the insert off. I will be folded out off 5mm plate with the nuts welded into the back side for the rack mounting bracket to bolt to. there will be 5 mm plates welded to the insert & bolted through tubed chassis rail, this will help to remove the rack when needed. the left side is a simple tube welded to 5 mm plates & again bolted through tubed chassis rails. the mount clamp will bolt to an angle bracket also bolted to rail against plate

[​IMG]

The steering & rest bits in place
    this is the 1st setup. It was to low into the chassis so I cut the remainder out & lifted it using a tube cut off a tailshaft. Good thick tube wall. I will make a thing steel sheet template to transfer the position to ECLECTIC'S chassis rails to make the cut. once its insitu I will weld the tube to steel plates then bolt to rails through tubes. This will help removing it by simply undoing the plates & dropping unit out

[​IMG]

this is the 2nd design. the mounting for the rack will be a simple angle welded to the plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  18. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

Good evening all. started fitting the steering bevel box & column today. Both out of L300. the column has tilt for ease of entry. I'm also centering it up with the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resnort likes this.
  19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Tilt?
    You planning to put on some weight.?
    Only need one spare tyre. :p

20. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

looking good, can't wait to see the beast up and running