1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doin the splitz

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roo, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Roo

Roo Active Member

Hello to all you Kombi freaks out there! My name's Roo from the Wagga region in NSW. Married, 3 tin lids and a dog. Have just acquired 2 late 50's split screen buses and have got the bug to restore them. Would love some feedback as to what to do with them. Leave them standard or modernise them. Paint or Rat. It seems there's no boundaries. Are there enough stock ones running around. Hoping to achieve freak status one day!! Cheers to all, Roo.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Your call. There are lots of opinions on purist resto to Rat looks. They are all righteous!
    A mix of classic original looks with a little mechanical upgrade of brakes and suspension may suit modern motoring?
    Have a look and work out what turns your wheels then plan your attack. Some pics of your challenge would be good.

3. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

If you want you can give one to me.:) if not do one rat and one original and have the best of both worlds.

4. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Hi Anthony and Welcome to the KC :)
    Nice try Adam :p

5. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks guys. Great feedback. Yeah, nice try Adam but I'm gonna be greedy and keep both at this stage! Will start posting pics as soon as I get them home. And I work out how to post them up!?

6. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

And btw welcome to the KC.Hey Mick its worth a try.:)

7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Lucky bugger, good luck with the restos. Post some pics when you can

8. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Welcme to the club

Restore restore restore...even if it takes ten years.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Restore

Goodluck and keep us posted

If you want to sell one.!!!!! Give me a yell!

9. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Welcome Roo, Wagga is a nice place I go there a lot for my business...

Wise words from Alpal - restorations range from purists who wouldn't have one non original VW part in their Splitty to as wild & custom as they come. But I'm with Al, overall classic looks with some modern touches thrown in (engine, suspension, brakes).

But they're your Kombis and you get to do what you want. Plenty of learned Kombi freaks here on KC so don't be afraid to ask questions (and use the search function).

Regards, Markus

10. Roo

Roo Active Member

Thanks again guys. Might need some help identifying them! Going on chassis number I'm pretty sure one is an 11 window 58 bus with semaphores. The other one I don't have a chassis number yet but it's earlier with centre rear brake light and single small tail lights. Think it may be a panel with a couple of windows cut in. Will hopefully have some pics after wkend. Cheers.

11. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Hi Anthony,
    Welcome to KC,
    Concentrate on getting one going, this will give you and the family time to decide what to do with the other, as well as trying different things like engine, suspension, wheees and tyres. interior, colours......
    I only have one bus so I am relying on the forum to tell me what works and what doesn't (foolish me, lucky I trust them) :)