1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door speakers for Splitty

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Longrasser, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Evening all. I put some speakers behind the old grills in my front doors this weekend (top front edge corner) . I'm running the speaker cable through the door hinge bold blanking grommets, but then have drawn a blanks myself of where to route them.
    Has anyone got speakers in their front doors and how did you secure and route your wires. It's a fair reach through to the body jamb, and keeping that length of wire under control might be a continuing problem.
    Ta folks. Keep dry..

2. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

T3 Caravelles use a factory rubber wiring harness cover connector between the body and the door.....

Perhaps something similar? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

At the bottom hinge there is a little gap where the hinge goes through the seal carrier on the body, maybe if you bring the wire in the door out near the bottom hinge you could pass it through there.
    Bring it out of the door a bit higher than the bottom hinge so the hinge doesn't pinch the wire on closing

5. seano

seano Member

Dno...what about a length of thin braided hose that is fixed to the door jamb but not the door itself (just poped through the grommet/hole)? When the door closes, it slides into the door and out of the way...and the wires just run through it. The Yanks make up a pretty version that is on the financial side (like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Braid...2v-wiring-power-window-1-2-inch-/152061721858) but a clever soul such as yourself should be able to find something appropriate in the parts pile...

6. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

Thank ye all lads. I'm still fiddling with this.

When I go to install the full power window, central locking and door heater vent system, I'll just graft in a Caravelle door cut :D. Thanks for the comparison photo Grant.

The big problem seems to be the reach of the hinges when the door opens out from the body. With the amount of wire needed to bridge the gap, it results in a big fold (in the cable) when the door closes, and when it is closed the clearances between metal surfaces is barely the diameter of the wire. Ideally the cable needs to go back inside the door when it closes, so Seano might be onto something with a well behaved bit of tubing allowing a heavier cable to retreat back into the door when it closes.

I looked at Mike's option around the lower hinge and had a go at seeing how far down I could fish inside the closed body channel that runs up to the A pillar, without much success (yet), but I still have the folding wire problem down there.

The strange thing is that the old bus had speaker holes cut in the door cards and partially opened up into the metalwork of the door, but no sign of where the speaker wires might have gone. Maybe they just strung them from behind the door card across to the parcel shelf, and tried not to get too tangled up in the process. (It'll do solutions).

So for this long weekend, I'm going down that route before I start drilling holes. Chances are I'm not going to hear the radio anyway. We will let you know..

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

There awesome. Anyone know if you can get in Australia to save $46 worth of shipping.

8. Longrasser

Longrasser Active Member

I'm going to take a look in the 'drawers of infinate possibilities' at Masters. See if I can make one of these do-hickies up.

I found these drawers on a reccon a few months ago.
    They exist as a set of about 15 large wide, shallow drawers up near the small nut and bolt packs, and carry mostly everything that you otherwise spend hours roaming the streets for.
    Have a look for them next time you are there. You'll be surprised !