1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door vents - what do they do?

Discussion in 'Body' started by BrissyGeorge, May 2, 2014.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

I am currently replacing the door cards on my 73 SC. I always thought that the rectangular vents with the blue slide had something to do with ventillation but with the door cards off all they seem to do is open into the door cavity - there is nothing connected to the back of them.

Has anyone any idea what they do? I thought they might have something to do with helping the doors close a little easier (letting the air out of the cab) when closing the doors with the windows up but they don`t seem to effect that (still have to stand back and slam).

cheers

George

2. nickc

nickc Member

No idea but they give an original look!

3. nickc

nickc Member

DSC06323.jpg Our door with vent.

4. BrissyGeorge

Yup Nickc - thats what I have - but what do they do???

5. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Think recirculating control on air conditioning. Close them to recirculate, open to extract air from the cab.

Fresh air.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. BrissyGeorge

Thanks wirrah for taking the time to post the photo - to be honest I haven`t noticed any difference with them opened or closed. Pity they don`t make closing the doors with the windows up any easier - probably just a SC thing.

cheers

George

7. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I suspect age has something to do with it but then I drove bays continuosly for 10 years and could never work out if they did something useful!

Greg

8. Pomboy64

Pomboy64 Active Member

Opening the blue vent allows air to be drawn throughout the door frame from the holes in the front of the door. I reckon this would require the air in the cabin to be vented outside. I can't see how a reasonably airtight bus would let in air with this method :umm: