Doorskin on a ‘76 dormy with a pleasant twist!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Member

Ok peeps,
    Decided to have a bash at a door reskin, chassis was largely undamaged and will need a little TLC along the front edge but up to this point i can't see any movement in the hinges. Door was in way too good condition to write it off with only very minor surface rust internally.
    Anyhow, as i start to cut off the old skin i can hear something rattling about inside, i give the door a shake and out drops a coin. Almost just binned it but didn't, gave it a clean up and it turned out to be an old 2 cent piece from 1976, i'm gonna pretend that its been in there for 42 years cos that makes the story better (and perhaps it has). Pretty cool find so when Alfie is finished I've decided to machine the top of the gear stick and glue his coin in there under clear epoxy resin (wifes idea).
    For anybody who's interested i got an igp skin from Micks motors in Briz and at this stage even though the metal is slightly thinner it does appear to be a very good fit. Will know more once i start to weld and then offer up the door to the bus. Easiest and least destructive way to remove old skin is to use a flapper wheel on the edges of the door where the skin folds over the chassis, this leaves the main chassis in good undistorted shape.
    B8C3AB47-2582-4DAB-83CA-32FBAE8F4036.jpeg 0F108EC0-25E3-486E-AF07-128A1E31AE8B.jpeg 43F6C7EF-63A1-4512-BF96-E2F436ECCEB3.jpeg 536BB9D0-38BF-46FB-8718-F6B1E668570F.jpeg 3AE56B54-341B-4D9D-A915-53FF9C801D21.jpeg

chris taylor, OSF, Grantus and 2 others like this.
  2. robmich

robmich Active Member

that a coincidence i found a 2c coin in my passenger door when i took the card of to fishoil cant remember the year,i put it back in for someone else to find in the future

ruby6689 likes this.
  3. robmich

robmich Active Member

should add my bus is also a 76

4. mr happy

mr happy Member

Maybe it was a thing back then

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

A lot of trinkets/memorabilia hidden in these older cars ....... :eek: anything I've found left by previous owner(s) stayed in the car when it moved on :D

mr happy likes this.
  6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Been in there as one of the rattles you can never work out where it is coming from for 42 years.

Adrian

mr happy likes this.