1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drag link worries...

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Chidori, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Hi all,
    I was putting in a new steering box yesterday and when I was doing up the nut at the end of the drag link into the pittman arm, i noticed that the part with the thread on it that goes through the pittman arm was spinning freely.
    I managed to tighten it up to the required torque, but i'm wondering if this is dangerous??
    Could this mean that the ball joint is going to pop out and i'll have no steering? Or is this normal?

The drag link is only a year or so old and I went with the german option - so it SHOULD be good quality

If it's not normal and should be replaced - the drag link end is adjustable, so can I just buy the end? Is it the same as a tie rod end?

Thanks all.

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Is it still spinning after you torqued it up?
    If so the pitman arm internal taper may be worn (need another pitman arm)
    Rick

3. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

Rick could be right if the nut isnt torqued up enough, sometimes its a catch 22 where you cant do it up tight enough due to it spinning but stop it from spinning to do it up.

4. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Hey guys,
    It's not spinning once torqued up, only when I was starting the nut onto the shaft.
    I pushed on the back of the ball joint to hold it firm in the taper of the pitman arm and it tightened up fine.
    I then torqued it as per bentley and it did so fine.

I was just concerned that the shaft might pop out of the joint and leave me with no steering.

5. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

No thats normal so i wouldnt be concerned.

Mordred and Chidori like this.
  6. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Awesome, thanks guys... just wasn't sure... better to be safe and all....