Drive-In anyone??!!

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by VeeWee, Dec 5, 2012.

1. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Hi All,

Had a bit of a brain-wave this afternoon when I was listening to talk back radio... (MAN! That makes me sound old!!)
    A lady was talking about taking the station wagon to the drive-in at Dandenong, opening up the boot and watching the movie from the comfort of the car (complete with pillows, doonas, snacks, bevvies etc etc!)

Well, that got me thinking that it would be rather a laugh to get a group of Kombi Loving peeps together and do the same thing - using the comfort of our VWs!

I'm thinking late January or early Feb when things have settled down a bit after Christmas. The only drive-ins I know of are Dromana and Dandenong...do you have a preference??

Selfishly I'd like to see a family-friendly film so the little tackers can come along too, but I guess that all depends on dates etc.

Anyway, just throwing it out there to see if there is any interest at this stage...

Hooroo for now!

2. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

had thought the same thing and discussed it with a few peeps at DOVW. Dromana would be great particularly with a day time Kombi cruise before, dinner at the beach then the movies at the Drive in but not during school holidays as it is soooooo busy on the Peninsula then. I'd be up for either Dandenong or Dromana

3. eamondevlin

eamondevlin Member

Sounds like a great idea.
    I would be very interested in this, however it all depends on the dates due to work constrictions.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a giggle. Last time KC in Melbourne did this it was middle of winter und bloody cold!

5. martini olive

martini olive Member

last summer dromana drive-in showed morning of the earth, with live music from brian cadd, gyan,lior and mike rudd - awsome!
    (there's a drive-in at coburg too.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. skat66

skat66 Member

Sounds good, agree outside school holidays is the preferred, don't mind any one of the three drive-in's, got to drive down from the Rock anyway.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Coburg was the last adventure.

8. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

DRIVE IN !!!!!!!! do they still exist ?? the last time I went to the drive in I was in my hotted up Zephyr and Bullet was showing.............yes and like a imature cretin I drove like Steve McQueen on the way home, as you did in those days. :umm:
    Would love to come, 1200+ kms, Mildura- Melb and back might be a bit much, will wait for the night after posts.

9. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I had this same thought a few weeks ago and was going to post something but never got around to it!
    We go to coburg drive ins quite often, especially on warm nights. We reverse in, open the rear hatch, lay down the rock n roll bed and we're good to watch the movie!!
    Better than gold class because we can take the dog and if it's cold we just use blankets!

VeeWee likes this.
  10. JonV2

JonV2 Member

Great Idea!!!

I'm putting my hand up for this too! - My last drive-in experience was in Croydon in the late 80's... The Croydon drive-in is now an aged care home :(

11. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I take the bus to Coburg a fair bit, going tonight in fact...

12. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Awww. What's on tonight?
    If my van wasn't in at the mechanics, we'd probably join you!

13. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

love the drivin in been to all 3.. ...tuesday nights are real cheap at lunar drive inn at dandenong
    best set up is to ...park perpendicular to the screen and open the sliding door

had a problem with my electric fuel pump...you see it comes on with the accesories..radio
    ..quickly realized the problem...just have to remember to take a portable radio along ...they got rid of the old speakers ...shortly after the movie Bullet was on...these days they broadcast the sound over the wireless
    if any one else has the same problem..the drive ins ...have spare radios...but if a dozen old Kombi vans all roll up ...

14. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Bond....James Bond. 20:50 screening *Edit ; Sat night. Not Fri night.. :wtf:

15. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

kombi will be back tomorrow - but going to japanese film festival tomorrow night. Would prob be perfect tomorrow night for drive ins... if the cool change isn't a big storm!

16. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I can highly recommend a drive-in. A couple of the WA dub drivers organised an outing to Busselton drive-in about six weeks back. They were in contact with the people who operated the drive-in so we could arrive early for photos before the gates opened. Looked a bit like this.
    [​IMG]

VeeWee likes this.
  17. Mustard Sally

Mustard Sally Member

Peter Britt here, new member.
    Great idea, count us in.
    I live at Mt Martha if you decide on the Dromana drive in.
    Can use my place as a meeting point if you want.

Regards
    Peter 0423667346

VeeWee likes this.
  18. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

that sounds great Peter......also for thoose interested next door to the dromana
    drive inn...is a campground

VeeWee likes this.
  19. tinny

tinny Member

I'd be keen too - never been to one. Got to be done.

20. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Just got back from Coburg. Saw Skyfall.... Meh.. Driving the bus home was more fun.