1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver door locking mechanism - year differences

Discussion in 'Body' started by Dingostrategy, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Dear All,

When fitting my keyless entry things, i've discovered the drivers door locking mechanism/latch/levers/clockwork has broken. This means that when I turn the key, the inner manual latch (the one near the pull handle inside the door) does not unlock. This means the remote actuator does not move, therefore no central locking.

That's not the important bit.

In an extraordinary piece of Kombi Karma, the exact mechanism has appeared at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200217656192&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

But, since my camper is a '73, I'm not sure if this will fit, since it specifies '74-79.

Is any super kombi expert prepared to offer some advice as to whether there really are any differences between 73 and 74 inner door workings? I'd be very grateful, even if its a punt.

I know I could always go to the wreckers but for 30 bucks or so, new old stock seems like a good idea.

All the best

Dingo
    Just back from a great ocean road trip in a partially disassembled Kombi. Fun!

2. Mafti

Mafti New Member

If your locking button is intergrated with the opening lever your out of luck, its not going to fit, but if your locking button is on top of the door near the window its going to fit. My kombi is a 72 and it wont fit they are different. Dont worry what year you've got as the doors are interchangable between the years.

Mafti

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Until 75 when they changed the hinges.

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Dingo
    I have a 76 and so not much help....but after some thieves broke into my Kombi by putting a screwdriver into the keyhole and turning I removed the the mechanism that joins the key barrel to the lock mechanism ie you put a key (or a screwdriver) in and you can do 360's..... only the keyless entry works ......I now have a new Lexus and there is a lot of electronics now to seperate the key barrel from the lock.....

So if you can't find a new mechanism fix the old one and don't worry that the key won't work

5. Dingostrategy

Cool guys, thanks. I like Doc's idea... Good one.

I'm still having some installation issues with the keyless entry including

:actuators are very close to the windows when rolling down... Will get worse once door cards back in place.
    :actuators needed to be reversed to stop yo-yo effect (that is, hitting the open button to close and the close button to open, and reversing the wires to the actuator)
    :my inner mechanism is not functioning properly so when unlocking, for some reason it just re-locks.

Fiddly and frustrating and the instructions in the steelmate kit are bloody useless for essential advice such as centering the main actuator.

So, new job is to find proper mechanism from pre-74, overhaul, insert (a prick of a job, I just did it with this one, that's how I know it's broken) and try again with the keyless.

It should have been an easy job!

Dingo

6. Dingostrategy

More....

Doc, I take it from Mafti's info that your locking mechanism is on top of the door near the window and works in an up-down action rather than sideways... I wonder if that's why I'm having so much trouble. Lots of people have this same kit fitted but now that I look, they're all in post 75 Kombis... I think I feel better now, it might not be just me.

Dingo

7. Alpal

Nah. Its you dingo!

8. Dingostrategy

Mods? Anyone? I'm being picked on...

But seriously, you may well be right, Alpal. Another weekend of bending metal and another locking mechanism from the wreckers and I'll be able to say once and for all whether Alpal is right!

Cheers!
    Dingo

9. 2tone

2tone Member

dingo, sorry to hear the mods are'nt going quite to plan. I'm worried, next week i want to install an alarm, imobiliser and central locking "ouch" not looking forward to it. i did read somewhere here that "aparently" its no harder than installing a stereo!!! we'll see. I've been quoted $600+ to do the full install including parts - another "ouch" I feel your pain man or i will next week.
    any handy hints or advice. maybe this should be a handy hint/sticky

peas,

tony

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  10. Alpal

Maybe an Ipod and headphones for music and a padlock and chain for security? Easy to fit and maintain!

11. Dingostrategy

Tony - if you have the lateral moving locking mechanism (i.e near the inner door escutcheon rather than on the window sill), this is going to be a bad job.

Reasons are that the locking mechanism is reversed so that a pulling motion unlocks, rather than locks. Secondly, the strengh required for the lateral motion pre-74 windows seems very large compared to 'normal' up/down. Thirdly, to positon the actuator, you need to put it in a place where it fits between the door-card and the window 'holder' (the metal at the bottom of the glass). I am yet to find a way to satisfy all these elements, but I am not an engineer or in any other way skilled at this sort of thing.

If you have the up-down ones, you're laughing and having taken a look at the mechanism at the wreckers, there's heaps of room, and the number of people with that door and central locking is testament to it being simple enough.

No one has written to tell me I'm just a bonehead, so I think it really is tough (despite Alpal's libelous claims above...!!)

Apparently the hinges are the same for a few more years, meaning I could get some new doors with the up-down mechanism.

That's a drag because my paint isnt so bad, but not the end of the world because I couldnt give a ratty about cosmetics (I am not about to flip this ride), but not stupid because the inside of my pax door is pretty rough and boggy.

Just thinking about it further, my gear is worth around 120, plus an alarm and immob., maybe another 100 (cheap jaycar stuff). So, 220 for stuff, plus several hours of dicking about, maybe new doors, etc etc. $600 might not be terrible if they could actually get it to work in this style of door.

Dingo

12. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Dingo might seem stupid, and you may have already tried it, but have you tried to turn the actuator around and adapting it so that the pull motion becomes a push?

Jono

13. Dingostrategy

jono,

its a good idea, which I did try.. the problem is that then the actuators get a heap of lateral movement in the little piston, which weakens the overall effect and exacerbates the strength problem. It's also tricky to find a place to put the actuator coming from that angle and would require some bracket-making. No big deal but I'm working on the street in front of my house :(

who knows what's next. Now its raining and work is mental, so i'll have to be a povo and use keys. The shame of it.

14. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

At a time like that you need keyless entry aye!
    Rain what is that? Send some up this way please.
    Keep us posted how the thingy doova works out for you.
    When I get my next kombi, keyless entry is high on the agenda.

15. Dingostrategy

howdy zombi
    rain is not something to complain about anywhere, I reckon. My friends in my other homes simply don't get that a drought is unusual for Australia. They think it's a desert anyway.

Back to keyless entry.

I am ready to conclude that without finding a lower profile and stronger set of actuators, on the '73 fore/aft style door locks, this is all but impossible without serious door mods. I have three more experiments to try:

1 - try and shim out the alignment of the door trim to give more space to the actuators. Problem = door card may sit too far from door and be nasty / let crap in / ugly.
    2 - try and rig the actuator directly to the inner locking mechanism rather than the long wire to the escutcheon thumb lock with some clever wire bending
    3 - flip the actuators, combine with option 1, and find a way to stop the actuators moving laterally.

Failing that, kill several birds:

- lose window tinting
    - get some vent windows
    - get doors that dont let so much water in
    - re-do rubbers
    - with right hinges / up-down lock
    - install keyless entry

Might endy up with a multicolour kombi instead of reasonable paint, but since this is for cruising and enjoyment, not such a big deal. If I decide to flip it and lose KC friends, I'll need to keep the old doors and invent some lies.

I'm taking pictures of the process. I should start a threadblog because it's likely to help others. Looking at the up-down doors, this job really would be an utter piece of piss. 30minutes MAX. Not so with these '73 doors.

Dingo

16. Alpal

Why lose tint? Thinking of adding to Schmett to reduce the heat from the side in the sun and the headlights from the rear at night.

17. Dingostrategy

well with new doors would come new windows without frigging about, and my tints are not legal in victoria.... And moreover the tinting is a little scrathed because previous owner was a lazy prick and didnt adjust the winder mechanism to stop it scratching the tint.

18. Alpal

'my tints are not legal in victoria..'

why? too dark. What is the legals? and what is the Dingostrategy you dog you?

19. Dingostrategy

Hay,

My tints are too dark. I don't know what legal is, but according to my tester, mine are not. I have a solution for the testing process but in fact I dont like them in the longer term, so if I lose them in this process, I don't really mind. I think they're cop magnets, reduce visibility and dont really suit this particular Kombi. Maybe dumped and with some gasburners but not as is. I know there are compelling reasons for tinting, but its not overly expensive to run a lighter tint over a new set of glass down the track.

Dingostrategy is a moniker I use to obscure my true identity as a lying cheat flipper. Oh no wait, that's who I bought Warren from.

In seriousness, I acquired an old footy jumper in my late 20s (now in in my early 30s) with the name Dingo emblazoned on the back. I wore it, it stuck, and now I'm Dingo. The strategy bit is when shitfaced one afternoon I announced I was starting a thinktank - a thinktank's thinktank - and calling it the Dingo Strategy. A loose play on the Chamberlain affair. Be the dingo and frame the family sort of thing.

You had to be there, Alpal.

In other news for anyone who cares, Roy's doorcards arrived today along with clips and rubber and other goodies. I'm hitting the vinyl suppliers over the weekend. Will document my process for making door trim. I know a thing or two about industrial sewing so it might be valuable for other punters. Might also turn out shit, either way, should be a larf.

Now, I'm off for a Kebab.

Dingo(Strategy)

20. Alpal

Hey Mr D.
    You make a lot of sense!