1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver's seat

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by kr.au, Dec 23, 2020.

1. kr.au

kr.au New Member

This has got me stumped.

I am restoring a 75 single cab with a 1/3-2/3 bench seat. I pulled the tracks etc off the driver's seat because it wasn't running smoothly and I wanted to clean it up. I'm now working on the reinstall. Everything looks like it's meant to go together and fits pretty good EXCEPT there is not enough clearance between the tracks and the base of the seat to allow the locking lever to turn properly. (Hard to explain - hopefully the photos make sense)

I am sure that I am putting it back the way that it came off - this problem actually existed before I pulled it apart.

Is there meant to be some sort of spacer between the tracks and the seat base? Have I gat mismatching parts? Am I doing something wrong?

InkedIMG_3216_LI small.jpg InkedIMG_3217_LI small.jpg

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

A stab in the dark - did you remove the rod that connects the 2 sides locking rods :oops: ..... I'm not sure how it connects to the right side and if it is a bolt & nut securing them so possibly you need to play with the the mounting orientation eg change the lever side so the connecting rod is on the other side of the welded plate that connects it to the adjustment lever ..... looks like in the first picture it is behind the plate on the lever and if it can be moved to the other side that may fix it.

3. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @KahunaKombi. No, I didn't remove the rod, and it looks like it's permanently fixed so I doubt that a previous owner has either. I know what you're thinking though - I've spent ages staring at it wondering if something is on backwards. Worst case I can put some steel or aluminum plate in there as a spacer, but it's bugging me to have to retrofit something when it looks like it's all there and should work.

BTW - best for the season. Hope you have a great NY.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Is there any thing bent? Could also be a later model seat.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

@kr.au . So you could rectify with a spacer between the tracks to get more 'pivot space' or detent the base of the seat at lever to get more arc movement. I've a 76 & the space clearance for the pivot is very small...like paper thin:eek: so it wouldn't need to be far off to strike the seat base. Maybe some heavy bugger in history has moved the base a bit south;)!
    Cheers

KahunaKombi likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

David may be on to something and the rod/bar that you turn could have a slight bend in it and may just need a bit of persuasion to straighten it up ..... previous owners may have not known how to adjust the seat correctly or it had become stuck and forced it thus bending it :rolleyes:.

7. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @David H @KahunaKombi @Wayne murray. It sounds like I have all the right pieces so I think I'm going to go with the theory that a heavy bugger in history has bent something. It's Christmas and I'm at the beach for a week, but when I get back to it I'll try a little more persuasion. Thanks again.

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

It would be good to have a spare seat to compare the difference in what you have and see what might be incorrect (bent) and to also see if the other seat works smoothly, correct in function in you kombi.
    Don't know if someone else is close to you to be able to do this. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

9. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Thanks @Wayne murray . That'd be useful. I'm in West End, Brisbane if anyone's out there.

10. KahunaKombi

Sorry but don't have a seat as don't have a Kombi and even if Igor was still here he wouldn't have been of much help as his seats were fixed in place and no adjustment runners :(

11. toeknee59

toeknee59 New Member

I know the reply is late but did you sort out your seat issue? I have a 74 panel in west end with 1 2 seat combination you can look at.
    Cheers

Tony

12. kr.au

kr.au New Member

Hi @toeknee59. Thanks! Ended up sorting it out by adding some aluminium flat bar between the tracks and the base to act as spacers. It's working fine. Am still curious how the stock set up should look though. Would be great to drop around and look at your panel if you are local. Will send you a seperate message.