Dual Battery - Power in the bus

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Marty, Aug 1, 2008.

1. drivesafe

drivesafe Member

Hi rat55 and in this day and age, if you are only getting two to three years out of any battery, cranking or auxiliary, then you must be a very heavy user or are just abusing the battery because 5+ years for a battery is now very commonplace.

Plus, I think you misunderstood the context of my post, it was about how you use a battery will govern how long it will last and how low you discharge a battery is only a part of the equation when trying to determine how long a battery is expected last.

The point was that T1 Terry had posted up a load of misinformation and I was showing how to CORRECTLY calculate the expected life span of a battery based on genuine user defined factors not some ignorance based misinformation.

2. Speedy

Speedy New Member

I'm a qualified mechanic and at one of the places I worked did racv as well, and I have to agree with rat55. Most battery's will have a life of around 3-4years. I've always maintained mine and the most I've got is 5years. I'm not saying they cant last longer than that. If you don't drive your car regularly or go down a lot of corrugated roads, then don't be surprised if they just make the 3 years.

3. milly

milly Active Member

Milly has dual batteries and I have installed a battery charger which is mounted under the rear seat and its wired to the batteries then into the 240 volt power at the other end, that way when camping at a powered site after you plug the bus into the 240 power you can use all the 12v items such as DVD player, lights etc that are wired to the 12v and the car batteries are charged through the 240v and never run flat.
    Great way to keep the little ones calm with a dvd etc when and if it rains.

Steve

4. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Batteries seem to do their own thing as far as longevity goes. I suppose it depends on many factors, but I recently replaced the battery in my 1990 Toyota Seca and when the chap at the battery placed pulled it out, he remarked that it's done a "damned good job." It had a date stamped into the top corner which said it had been in the car just a couple of weeks shy of 7 years. I remember buying it as it was a "demo" model and it was a long time ago, so 7 years sounded about right. I might have got another 12 months out of it had I not totally flattened it three times over the course of it's life by leaving the lights on.

That car is my usual means of getting to work and very rarely does it do a trip shorter than 30klm and mostly on sealed roads. One end of the day is always in darkness (shift work) however the lights are the only things that use a lot of power, although the heater fan gets a good work-out. I don't use the radio/CD/USB at all. The new battery has also been date stamped and it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. It might even outlast the car......... or me!! :lol:

5. chewtah

chewtah Guest

I put a second battery in my car in the hope of running the phone charger etc, while the key is off. Its just on the floor ATM, connected to the cigarette lighter and it charged it up. (It was thought to be on the way out.) When I turned the key off the radio light stayed on, indicating the 2nd battery was now energising back at least as far as the ignition. What would be the simplest way of stopping that, a relay?

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You need a proper dual battery system.

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Give Traxide a call and he'll explain it to you.
    Tell him you want a Kombi Club discount.

9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

I have a dual battery set up in my kombi, one starting and one deep cycle battery. The deep cycle only runs the fridge (Engel), led lights and powers the Sub for the sound.
    I have yet to put in an inverter.
    When I bought the deep cycle battery, the guy in the store said good for the fridge etc but not good for starting, BUT may be used in an emergency as a jump battery if the starting battery won't start the car. But only in an emergency.
    I have had no problems in the past 6-8 months since the installation.
    Steve

10. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

Chewtah, as well as getting your second battery connected up properly you also need to ensure it is firmly secured in the vehicle - a loose battery is quite likely to start a fire in the event of a crash.

Yep you can crank off a deep cycle, but as Deeksy says, only if absolutely necessary. Some battery isolators offer a function whereby the push of a button will connect the deep cycle battery to the main electrical circuit for such an occasion; otherwise a set of jumper cables does the trick.

Reading back further in this topic, member Drivesafe is recognised on many forums as being something of an expert with vehicle electrics, I didn't realise he was a member here till now.

11. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

Interesting discussion on the life of batteries, I have just this week replaced the battery in our Mercedes E Series, it sits under the rear seat so is not subject to extreme changes in temperature like those in the engine bay (Kombi) It was installed in 2005, 10 years!!
    When it was replace it measured around 110 CCA, where the new battery is 710 CCA so a fair drop in performance.
    That said, my old Triumph Stag, 3 years absolute max, and it was a pain the ar$@ to remove and install.
    Steve

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

What, the Stag?;)

13. chewtah

chewtah Guest

14. tombi

tombi Member

Great thread this one. I know so much more having read all the posts.

I have included a couple of pics of my T3 Camper dual battery set up. Batteries are 10 years old. Probably need replacing!

Attached Files:

15. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Tombi,
    Is that a simple relay setup?
    Cheers

16. tombi

tombi Member

Hi David H,

I think the gadget in the pic' is a simple relay. Perhaps it is a voltage sensing job. I do not know frankly. I do know that the blue wire runs to the ignition. I am yet to have the Auto Electrician take a look over this set up for me and identify and explain the workings of this dual set up.

I am reluctant to have it looked at, as I reckon I will be up for 2 new batteries and maybe a new relay (Voltage sensing) Ouch!!!

17. David H

It looks just like the relay I run. Batteries connected with ignition on. LH battery disconnects when key off. Damn simple. I like it that way. All my 'at rest' electrics run thru a second fuse panel off the LH battery. Hard to get caught with a flat start battery.
    Cheers

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    PICT likes this.
  18. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not really a good way to do it. Better to connect the relay to D+ to only operate when the alternator is running. A no cost option!

Tangles likes this.
  19. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Sorry, maybe a stupid question, but what's "D+" ?

20. David H

Hi Synchro,
    Where is the D+ connection. I'm no good at electrical stuff. Just guided by son in law.
    Cheers