Dubs By The River 2016

Discussion in 'South Australia' started by wombatventures, Mar 19, 2016.

1. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Dubs By The River 2016 is looking to be bigger and better for it's 2nd year. Saturday Sept 10 will have a Cruise starting from the Blanchetown Service Station, through to Waikerie for a lunch stop. Options from Waikerie will be...
    Waikerie ferry across to north then west via Overland Corner to Morgan.;
    Waikerie to Cadell and a Kombi cram to see how many will fit on the ferry, this will join in with the 1st group to Morgan;
    Waikerie to Cadell then to the Morgan Ferry.

There is plenty of accommodation available at Morgan. Powered and unpowered sites and cabins at the caravan park. Motel and BnB's available as well.
    Morgan caravan park. River frontage area. $25 per night for 2 people. There are 35 sites available in the River frontage area for $25 per night for 2 people. I'd like to book the whole area. Contact me asap to book a site. Terry on 0413867380.

Sunday Sept 11 is a day to relax and socialize on the lawns by the river. Picnic or BBQ, and there are plenty of takeaway options available.
    This is a social, non club event to enjoy getting together with other Dubbers.

More info will be added here as we get organised and also at....
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/Dubs-By-The-River-1727775030793463/

2. wombatventures

Getting things more organised for Dubs By The River over the last week.
    Have organised for a fellow Dubber to play at the local pub on the Saturday night.
    I'm looking for some minor help with an idea that was suggest to me a while back.
    Many of you will be coming through to Blanchetown on the Saturday via the Sturt Highway.
    I would be interested to hear if anyone would be willing to act as a run leader from the Parking Bay at the corner of Moppa Road on the Sturt Highway near Nuriootpa making it a gathering point so that the run can start there, maybe with another pickup point at either the servo in Truro or the parking bay on the eastern side of Truro.
    Thinking start fom Nuri about 10am, Blanchetown is about 40 minutes away
    Depart Blanchetown about 11am
    Should have everyone in Waikerie by Midday.
    Afternoon cruising from Waikerie to Morgan with the options of ...
    Waikerie Ferry to Morgan via Goyder Highway
    Waikerie to Cadell then To Morgan via Cadell Ferry or Morgan Ferry.
    There are wineries both ways for hose who are interested.....
    Any Suggestions are welcome.

3. Waz356

Waz356 Member

Just an idea, but there's a great property worth visiting in Morgan. It's the original homestead for all of North East SA and the owner is a car guy - early Porsches and a 23 window kombi. Let me know if you want details.

4. wombatventures

Way cool. Didn't know about it.
    More info would be appreciated.
    Terry

5. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

We are keen for the cruise/camp Terry

6. wombatventures

This is the press release I'm getting out at the moment.

Dubs By The River - September 10-11 2016.
    Morgan, South Australia.
    Following on from last years small get together of 11 VWs by the River Murray at Morgan we are holding another Dubs By The River on the weekend of 10-1 September 2016.
    Saturday will begin with a Cruise starting from the Blanchetown Service Station at 11am.
    Hopefully Dubbers coming up from Adelaide will meet at a start point at Moppa Road, Nuriootpa about 10am and travel up together to Blanchetown.
    The Cruise will travel to Waikerie by Midday for lunch and sightseeing and then through to Morgan in the arvo.
    There are 3 possible routes to Morgan each with a ferry crossing. Participants will be able to chose which way suits their vehicle best as some of the ferry ramps are pretty sharp.
    We are hoping to try a Kombi Cram on the Cadell Ferry (aim is for 10 Kombis!)
    The Mark 1 Golf Guys are going to try for the same on the Morgan Ferry.
    Saturday night we have organised a fellow Dubber musician to do a gig at one of the local pubs.
    Camping and Accommodation is available at Morgan. The Sunday Picnic BBQ is right alongside the caravan park unpowered camping area so those staying there won't even have to move their cars. There are local Motels, BnBs and Hotel Rooms and the Caravan Park has cabins available.
    Sunday is a day to relax and socialize on the lawns by the River Murray with a Picnic or BBQ, there are also plenty of takeaway food options available.
    This is a social, non club event to enjoy getting together with other Dubbers. No show and shine is planned but last year plenty of locals and people travelling passed came over to look and chat.
    More info will be added at https://www.facebook.com/#!/Dubs-By-The-River-1727775030793463/ as we get more organised.

tomhic and chris taylor like this.
  7. wombatventures

Hi Bazz
    Looking forward to seeing You there.

8. wombatventures

We have music at the Commercial Hotel Saturday Night...
    Jimmybay Hall will be playing...

9. wombatventures

I'm in the process of making a stencil for T-shirts, jumpers etc and have got some spray fabric paint.
    Bring along something to be made into a 2016 Dubs By The River Memento.
    And yes I will practice before the weekend!
    :rolleyes:

melissa likes this.
  10. wombatventures

Dubs By The River 2016 is almost here! 10-11 September at Morgan SA.
    Yes I am counting down!
    Here's the almost final plan...
    For those coming from Adelaide direction on Saturday you can met up at the Parking Bay at the corner of the Sturt Highway and Moppa Road just before Nuriootpa.
    The group departing from there will leave at 10am. I'm looking for a volunteer to get this group started as I will already be at Blanchetown.
    Saturdays Cruise officially starts at the Blanchetown Service station on the Sturt Highway.
    We will depart at 11am and head to Waikerie for a Lunch break.
    From Waikerie there are 4 options for getting to Morgan.
    1. Cross the ferry at Waikerie then travel around the north side of the river to Morgan.
    2. Travel to Cadell via Ramco and cross the Cadell Ferry then to Morgan.
    3. Travel to Cadell via Ramco, then to Morgan and cross the Morgan Ferry.
    4. Option 4 is a ferry crossers delight! Cross at Waikerie Ferry, travel around to cross at the Cadell Ferry then to Morgan Ferry and cross the river again.
    Ferry ramps are steep with a sharp angle so low clearance vehicles could have some issues.
    There is Accommodation available at Morgan although I have heard that caravan park cabins are already booked out.
    Some Accommodation contacts for Morgan
    Morgan Riverside Caravan Park
    Main Road Morgan SA 5320
    Phone: (08) 8540 2207
    Morgan Colonial Motel
    1 Federal St, Morgan SA 5320
    Phone: (08) 8540 2277
    Terminus Hotel-Motel
    15 Railway Terrace, Morgan SA 5320
    Phone: (08) 8540 2006
    Sunday Plan is a Picnic/BBQ get together on the lawns by the River Murray.
    There is plenty of parking both sides of the Ferry Road.
    There are some excellent Food venues for food in town including the Bakery and the Takeaway a well as 2 pubs.
    Come for one day or both.
    We look forward to seeing as many Dubs as possible, Air cooled, Water cooled or any other possibilities!
    CheersTerry Jackson

11. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I'm a probable, but still not certain - I hope work doesn't rear its ugly head.

I do like option 4 as you can never have too much ferry. Although the fact than all options require a ferry crossing, means there isn't a bad plan.

12. bazzamagoo

bazzamagoo Active Member

Our Kombi's going to be getting cancer treatment so we cant make it :( the panel we needed came in this week. Still very keen for any upcoming trips though

13. tomhic

tomhic Active Member

I'll try and make it for the Sunday Terry.

tom

14. wombatventures

Come along in a non Kombi if you want Bazz. A BBQ is a strong attraction.
    ;)

15. wombatventures

I have a down the track idea on that Brian. Starting at Paringa, ending at Milang or Goolwa and involving Bridges and Ferries! ;)

16. wombatventures

Look forward to seeing you there Tom.

17. wombatventures

Ok
    Last Post before the weekend
    Dubs By The River
    Cruise Leaves Blanchetown Servo on the Sturt Highway at 11am.
    To Waikerie for lunch stop and then to Morgan.
    BYO BBQ/Picnic/Takeaway lunch and chill out session on the River Bank by the ferry Sunday.
    I have a largish BBQ but bring your own if you want. Bring a rug or chairs. And Bring Sunscreen!
    See You There
    :)

melissa likes this.
  18. wombatventures

What a weekend!
    I'm not going to bore you with the drama of why our little Notch ended up in my Folks backyard and why we lead a VW cruise in a Falcon wagon.
    Thank You to those who came along for a Sunny weekend at Morgan.
    This is our well attended (tongue firmly in cheek) cruise on from Blanchetown to Morgan on Saturday.
    New Beetle, 71 Lowlight Single and a 92 Saab!
    DBTR16-02.jpg
    Oh, and a Trike that looked like a Ford Ranger ute and all lead by a AU Falcon wagon pretending to be a 71 Notch!
    DBTR16-09.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  19. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Sadly, I was a late scratching with the flu. Hopefully, I will be there next year.

20. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

The weather reports were not encouraging for the weekend but typically it turned out great, nice sunny Fri, Sat, Sunday and a light breeze so anyone worried about rain................ya missed out ! :p
    We actually had 2 Nicely presented Bay Campers, a very tidy Lowlight Single Cab, 1 Lowlight Bus (supercharged), 3 magic Beetles, 1 Superb Karman and a lovely new Beetle Convertible as well as a nice Silver Golf, Oh, and our T3 (back at the CP)
    Terry (Wombatventures) was his irrepressible self where nothing seems to get him down..............thanks for a nice outing, until next year ? :)

Now the weekend from our perspective, we arrived on the Friday, I thought we would break out the full camping accommodation rather than chill out under the open sided Fiamma awning for 3 nightsyou know, happy wife happy life, so I sooked out of uncoupling the T3 and taking it over the road to the display area. :eek:
    As we are over the top tea drinkers we got one pot of tea out of the electric jug then it went FFfffffzzzzzzt, ha ha all was not lost, we had a single Coleman stove in the kit:cool: this gave the little Aussie housewife an excuse to FIX the jug :eek: mmmmmm result..............she let the smoke out and tripped the supply circuit breaker ! funny thing was I was the wood duck that turned it on, oh well off to Kmart to get another $7.50 jug :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

wombatventures and cbus like this.