1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dummies guide to removing and replacing an engine.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Necro, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hey guys,

Miss Lulu has had an engine failure. There is something inherently wrong with that engine, been rebuilt twice by mechanics and gone again.

I am thinking of transplanting a 2 litre engine into Lulu...I DO NOT want to spend any more money on this engine.

Questions:

Does a 2l engine bolt straight on to an 1800 gearbox...?

Is it hard to strip off fuel injection and put carbies on...? Hoping to use air filter and carbies from Lulu..

Is there a good guide? which is the best, I have idiots guide to vw and I think I have the Haynes book too...

Should a clown attempt this?

Is there a procedure for starting an engine that has been idle for a while.

I have the help of Dad in law who has done it before and Mum in law who helped him...some tools and a sewing machine if needed...

I am thinking of starting soon and having a mechanic rescue me if I fail...Is this wise?
    Everyone says they are easy to work on and now is the time to learn...bloody things are keeping me broke.
    I am going to use the 1800 in Lulu to learn more and possibly rebuild it...but I have a lot to learn..

2. Necro

Necro Active Member

Oh and the policey mans said I can't drive Brutus due to oil leaks, they didn't canary me but told me to get it fixed......so it's now or never...

3. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Warranty!!!!!

4. Necro

Necro Active Member

A warranty, from a mechanic...surely not...do such things exist...?

5. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hello Necro,

Refer to Australian Consumer Law. Good luck!

AJD

6. Necro

Necro Active Member

Haha, no, I doubt it very much, last rebuild was maybe five years ago...

Me and Lulu are on our own, unless someone who is handy wants to come and help...:)

7. cameron

cameron Member

I'll help dave and i'm cheap. Apoligieas for asll caps asnd aspelling my boy sapilt qwtaser on keyborasd asnd nqw itas astuffed!@

8. cameron

cameron Member

Oh good it corrected my asll caps

9. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

10. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

11. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Did it get any easier the second time?
    Good luck with it at any rate. mitchell

12. Necro

Necro Active Member

No, wrong engine...flat 4 1800..for a flat four 2000...

Lol.

But seriously, does anyone know if I need an adaptor plate or shroud to put an 1800 gearbox behind a 2000..?

13. robmich

robmich Active Member

pretty sure you need to change bell housing or fly wheel or both, i am not really much help am i

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

put the 1800 flywheel/clutch and pressure plate on your 2l engine and you wont need to change bellhousings.

15. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Physically the bits will fit but the 1800 carbies are not otimised for the 2 liter engine (Jet size and accelerator pump volume are different). It will work though.

Just dont throw out the EFI bits there are people that will use them.

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

PM sent Dave

17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Kai is correct, if you don't want to change bell housing put the 1800 flywheel on the 2 litre. I think ratwell has all the possible combinations. Remember a 2 litre flywheel will not fit in an 1800 bell housing.

18. LOWK71

LOWK71 Member

Necro have a crack at it all, sounds like you have the good guide books and a support team. Keep us posted on progress and good luck (not that you will need it).
    Remember there are some great threads on here to pluck up your confidence.:)

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

It may seem obvious but the starter motor needs to match the bell housing and flywheel. In my opinion for what it worth, if you have a running 2 litre with fuel injection I would keep it as is and change the flywheel on it to the 1800 one from Lulu. The 1800 carbs are not really a good idea as it is not jetted or set up for the larger capacity and will run lean especially at highway speeds, which will be a higher revs with the 1800 box. Lean as we know is bad and risks damage to the valves. If you want to go carbs I would try to find a set of proper 2 litre carbs and fit those. That is in a perfect world. With the limited funds I would fit Lulus and get operational but limit long trips until I could find some more carbs or finish the other engine.

Either way take it one step at a time and there is nothing you cant do. We are here to help as much as possible.

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

or you could just change the jetting...