1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dummies guide to removing and replacing an engine.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Necro, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Dave that is what I have put on will send pictures

2. Necro

Necro Active Member

That would be way cool Derek...:) Thanks Rob...Carbies paid for so any advice will be great... all excited, getting the flywheel off and on the stand was a confidence builder..:)

Can't wait to get that thar shiny box of parts...

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

5. Necro

Necro Active Member

Such a pretty engine in Marley....Mine will look a bit grungier with sparkly carbies...:) Although I am thinking of tarting my tinware...
    Is it just degreaser and elbow grease to get them ready for paint...

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

I have a brand new set of 2ltr barrels and pistons I'll never use Dave, no idea what I paid for them when I bought them so I have no idea what they owe me. They are of no use to me now as I plan to go electric so I'd like to see them go to a worthy cause :cool:

T1 Terry

7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

got the tin ware sandblasted and sprayed

8. Necro

Necro Active Member

Thanks terry...:) that would be cool...i will email you tomorrow :) i am going to have to do a special deal on that poptop now..:)

9. Necro

Necro Active Member

1800 out. 2000 stripped down to block and cylinders. Exhausted. Need new heads, who sells the best ones? Pics later too tired.. tahnks heaps to alpal who helped today.his help was fantastic...:)

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Such surgical precision and cleanliness in that Marley engine bay........and we'd expect no less! :rolleyes:

11. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hey Rob, getting technical now...I see the vacuum for the brakes has been drilled and tapped...in the manifold...did you do three and four? can't quite see but looks like lots of hose clamps...?

Also I got my carbies today and that hose in the bottom of four, what's that? it's a brass plug in mine...have to be honest, the kit looks daunting...fuel line is at the top..hmm just thinking is that the vacuum for the dizzy, I noticed the vacuum on it. I thought I had to go mechanical with these and get a new distributor and dump the 009...

12. Necro

Necro Active Member

So I had a big weekend, no sewing all engine...Using the Bug Me Volume 8 Jack Raby Type 4 rebuild video, Alpal and I stripped the engine in about two hours, just the top end...originally the fairy tale was a simple engine swap but it has turned into much more...after stripping the engine, I looked at the pile of bits and yup, had a panic attack, no going back...necessity is a wonderful motivator...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alpal said get a box, so I do and he came up with this to help us remember how it goes back together...pushrods, rockers, springs and tubes, sorted. Thanks Alpal...

[​IMG]

We then ran up the drive and removed the 1800 from Lulu, that was eventful but we accomplished all that in about 5, maybe six hours with lunch in the middle. Fluctuating between the feelings of panic and this is a piece of piss I got through the day feeling somewhat confident...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  13. Necro

Necro Active Member

I was hoping to use the heads I had again, some wild fantasy akin to Jack's Magic Beans that was...number 4 was gone, ring had cracked and then melted over the years, taking out the wall of the head with a pretty decent groove...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the cylinder went out in sympathy...

[​IMG]

No use sooking, time to man up and start more research....still feeling confident, I need new heads, luckily for me Terry and I have come to a great deal where we are both really happy, he gets a poptop sleeve and I get new pistons, rings, cylinders and so on...so I just need to get some heads and I'm right...I have a peek online, ask some questions, but pretty much fall asleep, I'm knackered. Mentally and physically...

14. Necro

Necro Active Member

Sunday is a new day, time to focus, to build I need somewhere to start from...We pulled the lifters out just to check and they where incredibly flat, in very good condition, they looked perfect...good news was I don't have to go as deep as the bottom...overnight, the plan is the basics, cleaning. I stuff all the openings with rags and start, I couldn't resist posting a pic of my delicately stuffed ports, vents and openings on facebook. It took me ages, trying not to knock crud into said orifices.

2 minutes later, facebook tells me I should have used paper towel as lint from the rags could block oil passages...arrrghh...run to get paper towel...no paper towel...argggh...I decide they are in there now, even if I replaced them they were still in there, so just bloody leave them...so small screwdriver, wire brush, small fine brass wire brush, old towel, kero, wd 40 and a tin of degreaser...oh and a toothbrush....dreading it, I start to clean the engine block...how many fins, cavities and romantic grottos does a bloody case need...I start to get in to the swing of it, thanks hugely to the Coopers family in South Australia for that and at lunch time I am here..

A smidge over halfway..

[​IMG]

The first bit's I did were easy...like the top...the left side with cyl.3 and cyl.4...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom was quite hard catching dust and oil over the years, a good stiff brush and screwdriver were the only way...

[​IMG]

15. Necro

Necro Active Member

The front was a true test of patience and dedication....

[​IMG]

Feeling pretty chuffed I turn it over to the last side and I was horrified, I'd learnt a bit about cleaning engines by now, but cyl.1 and cyl.2 side is like willy wonka's factory, it just got a shit load harder...this side by far took the longest...

[​IMG]

Deeper divots, gnarly grotto's, more angles than a tetrahedron...it just went on and on...

16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Lookin better than when I left. Dunny paper is always available!

17. Necro

Necro Active Member

The shroud was pretty easy, but I have to admit, my diligence was waning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine mounts and rubber boot for alternator added to the shopping list...I still have the crossbeam, oil breather, tinware and various bits to clean.....but I had had enough and it was getting dark............fade to black.

18. Necro

Necro Active Member

The shroud was pretty easy, but I have to admit, my diligence was waning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine mounts and rubber boot for alternator added to the shopping list...I still have the crossbeam, oil breather, tinware and various bits to clean.....but I had had enough and it was getting dark............fade to black.

19. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Dave, have I got a job for you :lol: Very nice clean up there Dave, I won't let Kombi see these photos or it will expect similar treatment... and that just ain't gunna happen.
    It might be worth getting a machine shop to eye how bad those heads are, from the photo it doesn't look like much of the head material is gone, maybe a fly cut would bring a full face back. They will need guides and exhaust valves for sure.
    I'll get that lot boxed up and on it's way tomorrow and ask Margaret to send some funds to your account.

T1 Terry

peter drogi likes this.
  20. Necro

Necro Active Member

So far this big adventure has been exciting and intoxicatingly free...now however comes the tricky part...

Carbies, I went with what I could afford and got empi, dual hpmx 44mm carbies...they look impressive and quite daunting in 250 pieces as they arrive....more research, but I am learning, after I bought them I find out I can't use a vacuum distributor anymore, so I need a mechanical advance distributor, I have ordered a petronix with whizz bang coil...it was only a bit more than other mechanical 009 clones and has good raps...and I order a complete german made gasket kit...I also realise I need to tap the manifold for a vacuum for the master cylinder so the brakes work...more tools needed..

I search all the forums for heads and see the odd anti amc thread so it makes me want to desperately avoid amc, cip have no names, chinese ones, which seem an even bigger risk...in the end the dollar demands I listen to reason and go AMC...90% of suppliers only supplied AMC, what with import duty, gst and all the kerfuffle,vintage vee dub had them for 1350 so I went with them, I looked at all of the suppliers and they all came in within $50 of each other, so bought from an Australian company. The ones I wanted, DRDL5's worked out to over 2 grand, raby's I decided were way to expensive at over 3 grand, I didn't have rabies so went with a moderate decision...

My exhaust were a set of 1970's independant thunder boxes, it used to run real well, but three mechanics had trouble tuning it, then one cut the pipes and joined them together halfway along. Ever since then it has run like crap with the cylinders fighting each other, it wasn't a 4 into one funnel transition but 2 into 2 directly opposed in a crossroads. I looked around and for a little bit more from vintage vee dub again, I have scored a vintage speed stainless exhaust, of course it may mean my towbar doesn't fit any more, but then I never used it...

I haven't lashed out in any way but I am still up to just over three grand..and have a ways to go....it ain't cheap doing a rebuild, imagine if I was paying a mechanic, at this stage it would be about another 2 grand...I hope this works..hahaha