1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dummies guide to removing and replacing an engine.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Necro, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Necro

Necro Active Member

Oh and while I was cleaning the bloody engine and rotating it the bloody distributor drive shaft fell out, in a rush I cleaned it and put it back in rotating it gently until it bedded. But I have no idea if it was in the same position as before...does it matter, should it be facing a certain way when a certain valve is open...?

2. Necro

Necro Active Member

Thanks Terry, can't wait to get them and start rebuilding...:) all my other bits should be here by Friday, Saturday will be taking off the cylinders and some delicate final cleaning, and some hurried tinware cleaning. then I will lay all my bits out, take a pic for KC and then start trying to put it back together...5 weekends to go...maniacal laughter....

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

YES.

you got a book ?

4. scooterlabs

scooterlabs Member

Dave,
    I am a fellow novice BUT I was reading about this shaft business (for the 1600 so not sure if it applies).
    I read many warnings about shims that sit underneath that can drop into the engine requiring a full teardown. Perhaps someone can enlighten us on this detail, or what angle to have the engine when pulling the spindle out.
    The position will be important. Mine is 180 degrees out (PO) and I had to reassemble the drive on teh dizzy to get the thing roughly in the right spot.
    I'll make it right some day when the engine is out.

Derek

5. Necro

Necro Active Member

Yes but the book said, don't move it, note position, then remove, I didn't know that until it fell out :( Hey Derek you got a tap and die set in your Lab...

6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Wot fred are you looking for?? Looked like a fine one. Diameter and pitch required.

7. Necro

Necro Active Member

Don't know yet, might pull the one out of the old manifold and check...cleaned the strainer and breather today after some sewing.
    Thought about pulling the cylinders and resisted. I did however remove the dizzy drive as there is no chance its in the right spot...

8. Necro

Necro Active Member

Don't know yet, might pull the one out of the old manifold and check...cleaned the strainer and breather today after some sewing.
    Thought about pulling the cylinders and resisted. I did however remove the dizzy drive as there is no chance its in the right spot...