Easy, cheap effective rust removal

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rhys, May 6, 2007.

1. Rhys

Rhys New Member

Check this out guys, before and after photos of the cone piece of the accelerator linkage that connects to the carby.
    [​IMG]
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After.

sorry about blurry pics, but you get the idea.

It's a process called "Electrolytic rust removal"
    get a plastic bucket, (don't use a metal bucket, it causes all sorts of problems) make up a solution based on 4Litres of water to 1 tablespoon of washing soda. put it in the water and stir it to dissolve. You then get a low voltage battery charger or DC converter, about 9-12 volts is perfect, if you don't have one you can use a 9 volt battery, attached to leads.

Take your NEGATIVE lead and attach it to the object that needs the rust removed, it must be fully submerged in the solution with good connection contact to work properly. now take your POSITIVE lead and attach it to something iron, a nail seems to work fine. If you happen to have any stainless steel lying around use this instead, the iron tends to get eaten away quite fast.

you should now have both of your objects submerged in the solution but not touching. (turn the battery charger on ;) )

The time needed to clean the object will depend on its size, and severity of rust. I left this part overnight. This process works on surface rust only. When your done your once rusty object will be black, take a paper towel and wipe it,the black should come off showing the shiny metal beneath. if it dosen't come off just put it back for a few more hours and try again.

Hope this helps in some way, Happy rust removing.
    Cheers - Rhys.

happyrainforest likes this.
  2. Saggas

Saggas New Member

wow thats really cool!

saves scrubbing it for ages with steel wool

I wonder if you could do it on a massive scale, dunking your kombi parts into a toddlers pool?

ahh the mind boggles.

peacepizza likes this.
  3. Rhys

Rhys New Member

only the lower 6 inches.........

peter

4. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

I was thinking on a bigger scale. 240 volts...cables......a swimming pool , a ramp and a kombi connected to a winch........Hmmm

peacepizza and jobell like this.
  5. tstrawb

tstrawb New Member

cheers Rhys totally forgot about this process. I remember now doing this in manual arts in high school. Please keep us posted on other parts you dunk :)

6. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

So lowering the rusted piece only six inches is better than say it laying on the bottom?.....Is this because electrolytes concentrate near the surface?

7. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

Well i mean the electrolytic process

8. Rhys

Rhys New Member

hey kelly.....nah, kombis only rust on the lower 6 inches

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Is der Koka Kola doink the same think??

10. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

Sorry rhys...read the post wrong.........thought you were referring to lowering rusty bit only so far down bucket......duhhh....ill shut up now..

11. Saggas

Saggas New Member

hah very funny :p

also im thinking this is a sweet idea.
    :p

12. ahoogah

ahoogah New Member

I get the same result with acetic acid, just leave rusty parts in a bucket of it for 24.Acetic acid $1.65/2ltrs. aka vinegar.

13. Saggas

Saggas New Member

my flat mate is testing it tonight a car rotor.
    will let you know the results in the morning. but its started working already!

14. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Bloody awsome Rhys... I forgot all about this trick too... here was me sanding the rust of the back of my corner panel cut! :eek:

ANybody have any idea if this works on chromed surfaces... ie hubcaps and metal dressrims?

15. Benniee

Benniee New Member

This is a fairly common technique to remove rust from old hand tools as well (planes, etc).

One thing to remember is ALWAYS DO THIS IS A WELL VENTILATED AREA!

The whole process gives off hydrogen gas which is highly explosive. Open a window or garage door and leave it to "clean".

Ben

16. Saggas

Saggas New Member

shit aye!
    didn't know that one.
    we were doing it in the loungeroom. had the stove and everything going.

17. Rhys

Rhys New Member

this process does give off hydrogen gas, but not in big enough quantities to create an explosion. it is a good idea to do this in a well ventilated area but it shouldn't cause any problems even in your lounge room.
    what happens in the electrolysis process is that the composition of the water is being turned into a gas. you will notice that the negative lead has fine bubbles coming off it, this is hydrogen. you may also notice that the positive lead has some bubbles coming off it, this is oxygen. there will be twice as many bubbles coming from the negative lead as the positive. this is because the composition of water is H2O. 2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen. the gases would have to be very concentrated to create any kind of problem. if you look at your 4 litres of water, and imagine it is all depleted by the electrolysis. that would only be 2.7 litres of hydrogen in the huge amount of air in your lounge room. avg loungeroom is about 60,000 litres. (3m x 4m x 5m) It it makes you feel better do this outside, there isn't any real danger unless you had kelly's idea of the kombi in the swimming pool. in your lounge room. then light a match and we could see saggas orbiting around the earth!

schmo, if there was rust under the chrome it would lift the chrome off. if its good solid electroplated chrome it won't be a problem.

18. Saggas

Saggas New Member

haha its all good.
    this rotor must have been rusty cos its been about 26hrs in the solution and still stuff comming off.
    we changed solution after 12 hours cos you couldn't see through it. looked pretty saturated.

19. Rhys

Rhys New Member

you dont need to change the solution, just top up the water as it goes down, the solution lasts forever. it will look dirty but it still works just fine.

20. kommodius

kommodius New Member

I've an image in my head of an olympic-size swimming pool full of splitty bodies and a frantic saggas running around a battery charger the size of a small block of flats grinning hysterically!!:D

Ray & da Boyz