Easy, cheap effective rust removal

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rhys, May 6, 2007.

1. 74_Microbus

74_Microbus New Member

hey, sorry for the possibly stupid question but waht do you mean by 'washing soda'? what exactly is it? lol, im a tad slow...

Thanks alot

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Washing soda is sodium carbonate, used as a water softener amongst other things... it is the basis of the soda lakes in which flamingos live...

Here is a wikipedia entry... (but take their details with a grain of salt... :) )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

So anything dumped in Vashing Soda vill be turnink Flaminggo Pink???

4. Rhys

Rhys New Member

actually the flamingoes turn pink from eating the sea monkeys.....

5. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

I made this a sticky thanks for the chemistry lesson every one brings back horrible high school thoughts ! explosions in the chem lab !

serious deserves a sticky as its right at home in how too and help full hints
    well done and great photos

6. Jehd

Jehd New Member

does this require much current?

Like can a AC->DC 1A power pack work? and is a car battery charger too much current?

What if the terminals on the car battery charger are really rusty? ;)

7. wow

put down the recipe for the whole kombi mate not just that bit!

8. joel268

joel268 New Member

By Washing soda do you mean bi-carb soda?

9. dlomas

dlomas New Member

water and molasses

I read and article some where you only need to let the parts soak in a mixture of water and molasses, and the chemical reaction will remove the rust, then just rinse it with clean water. Scrape off as much surface rust prior to placing the parts in the solution, first!

Cheers Dave

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  10. Organichead

Organichead New Member

I've got some of that. I'll give in a go and tell all....

11. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

im wanting to give this a try, can anyone please clear up a few queries i have???

1) what kind of leads do you use to connect the battery to the object? )just some wire?)

2) is just a 9volt battery (ie. one of those small rectangular ones) ok to use as a source? if not, what is used? (car battery??)

3)how exactly does the iron (nail) or piece of stainless steel come into it? i'm imagining the object in the water with two leads comming off it ie. one to the battery and one to the piece of iron...is this correct???

if anyone has a photo they could post this would be a great help.
    thank you

12. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

There's loads of links on the web for it, coincidental as I have been out this arvo scouring all the local hardware shops this arvo looking for those little clamps to make an electrolysis unit to clean up some coins with bad verdigris.

13. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

than you for the link! will give it a go soon! :)

14. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

Been looking into setting up a solar panel to do a similar thing so i can colour anodise aluminium for the fire toys i make, didnt even think of using it to reverse the process and strip things back, cheers for the 'wake up fool slap'

15. wavedancer

wavedancer New Member

Seriously Guys, My Problems Bigger than This

Hey Guys,
    My Kombi is seriously in need of some big rust solutions. I've gotten quotes to get her rust removed and a new paint job and have been quoted $10,000!!! The biggest problems are the roof and around the window treatments. I've already had all of the rust removed from her 'bed' so that she is structurally sound (kind of). If I don't have a 'loose' 10 grand lying around, do I just start with a sander and cut it all back or what? Is it possible to tackle this kind of job with no actual knowledge but a bit of girls intuition? OK... you can all stop laughing now... it really is serious and I'm scared that if I don't get her fixed up within the year she'll get too far gone. Poor Gulli :umm: she is very worried. Help her be groovin' again and give us some advice.

Wavedancer

16. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you are needink a BIG battery!! Gut luck Herr Wavedancer

17. greg pickworth

greg pickworth New Member

Hi
    Would appreciate some help.
    I have a strong petrol smell in my kombi ... 1975 ... I have been advised to: 1. replace the rubber filler spout flange and 2. replace the rubber fuel lines to the carbies.
    How does this sound?..... should this do the trick.....???.... anything else I may do?
    thanks greg pickworth

18. Nigel

Nigel Member

Easy, cheap effective rust removal - hydrogen bomb!?!

If one completely dissociates 4•0 litres of liquid water, it will NOT liberate a mere 2•7 litres of gaseous hydrogen, into the surrounding air.

The 4•0 litres of liquid water, has a mass of 4•0 kg or 4000 grammes, containing 444•4 grammes of hydrogen [i.e. 4000 x 2 / (2 + 16) grammes] and 3555•6 grammes of oxygen [i.e. 4000 x 16 / (2 + 16) grammes].

If you check your high-school physical chemistry text books, you will find that the Gramme Molar Mass, of the di-atomic hydrogen molecule, is 2•0 grammes and that of the di-atomic oxygen molecule, is 32•0 grammes. At STP - standard temperature & pressure, one Gramme Mole of gaseous hydrogen or oxygen (or any other gas), will have a volume of 22•4 litres.

Hence, 444•4 grammes of gaseous hydrogen at STP, will have a volume of 22•4 x 444•4 / 2•0 = 4977•28 litres or nearly 5000 litres; which is considerably more than 2•7 litres and more than 8¼ percent of your average lounge's volume. Similarly, 3555•6 grammes of gaseous oxygen at STP, will have a volume of 22•4 x 3555•6 / 32•0 = 2488•92 litres or nearly nearly 2500 litres. This together with the air (appoximately 20% oxygen & 80% nitrogen) would probably constitute a highly explosive mixture!

19. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

Another trick used by some vintage restorers is submerge the rusty part in a 44 gal drum full of diluted molasses. don't know the concentration but i've seen it work. takes a bit longer than the electrolysis trick tho.
    Cheers