Ebay Scams

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by vwkj87, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

With kombis and parts gets rarer, I'm noticing more suspicious looking ads and sellers on ebay.

After months looking for a part I finally found it on ebay and made a deal with the seller. I paid with PayPal, but then he refused to send it until the funds from PayPal cleared or I send him the money directly. That looked very suspicious so I insisted we use PayPal to protect myself, and he cancelled the order.

It's annoying because I really needed the part and he put me in a lose-lose position where I either lose the part or risk getting scammed.

David H likes this.
  2. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

BTW he has since relisted the item at a higher price.

3. Uke Baby

Uke Baby Active Member

Could be legit. When I’ve sold stuff and been paid through PayPal it frustratingly takes weeks to get the money from them.

4. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Well this only took 2 weeks to clear (well actually 11 days now), and he wanted me to transfer $500 directly to him. The whole point of PayPal is to act as a middleman to protect everyone.

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

mmmm.................. not that i am a power seller or anything, but i have sold a few things over the holiday break and the money has been there from PP overnight

Also isnt having PayPal payment a non negotiable to selling things on ebay?

I would be putting a complaint in to ebay

vwkj87 likes this.
  6. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I've put in a complaint but I doubt there is anything that can be done about it.

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Always one in the crowd who sees sizeable interest and plays people for fools and won't honor auction site rules ;)
    May be an obscure seller somewhere out there that has what you're after :rolleyes:

vwkj87 likes this.
  8. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

There are exceptions but generally Paypal transactions are instant, if you have a credit or debit card linked the money will go straight in. If not it should only take a few days to clear (same as a cheque)...
    BTW plenty of buyer-scammers out there too, I had one that tried to get a refund claiming item never arrived, until I showed him the delivery slip with his name, address and signature on it! and still fighting another one similar but they managed to get a refund from their bank, so paypal took the money from my account and its up to me to 'prove' they received it. Paypal offers very little seller protection (almost always siding with the buyer) so I understand when some sellers try to avoid using it.

David H and vwkj87 like this.
  9. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

With PayPal though the seller can cancel the transaction, but the buyer can only request a refund and then it's up to PayPal to decide. Sucks though that people ruin the system on both sides, but I'll still use PayPal over sending money direct.

10. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I can understand a sellers' hesitation using PayPal - they charge fees and ebay charge them fees so just say you paid him the $500 for the part, he ends up getting say $475 after they take their cut (this is just an example, I don't know the exact fees charged) but for a buyer we don't get hit with any charges to use them.

11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Many sellers on TheSamba add the Paypal fee onto the price if you want to use that payment method. I have been refunded by Paypal 4 times over the years when goods never arrived, so prefer to pay that way. Up to the seller to decide how to either recoup the fee or absorb or inflate the price to cover it.

David H and melissa like this.
  12. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

The ebay fee is the big one.

13. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

The fees weren't his issue, he wanted money upfront. We made the deal using the "make an offer" feature so he should have taken into account the fees before he accepted an offer. He just wanted me to pay outside of the safe payment methods, so he can get the money instantly. If he was genuine, he was forcing me to gamble $500, which isn't fair. But the way he handled it made me suspect I would never see the item once the payment went through. That's the whole point of PayPal.

David H and melissa like this.
  14. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Whereas he had a lot less risk. He can see that PayPal has his payment ready and I can't take the payment back without launching and dispute with PayPal, and the tracking will tell him when the item is delivered. So again, I suspect scammer.

15. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Or maybe just dumb lol. Tbh I was tempted to pay direct because I really need the item. But not worth the risk.

16. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Also avoiding fees and trying to solicit alternative payment is a breach of policy.

Sorry I'm ranting. It has really annoyed me lol. Has anyone else had similar scams or dodgey dealings ?

David H likes this.
  17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I would be annoyed too.

vwkj87 likes this.
  18. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Perhaps time to out this seller so others dont get stung.

19. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Like the thread where an owner claimed her kombi was possibly stolen, might pay to be sure first?
    There doesn't seem any solid indication so far to confirm its a scam?

20. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I'll never be able to confirm it's a scam, but it's also not my style to name and shame someone. Like I said it looks like a scam but they might just be an idiot. Either way, they shouldn't have put me in a situation where I either lose the item I want or give up my protections as a buyer. It's just disappointing that I was excited about the item, but the person was completely unreasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.