Ebay Scams

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by vwkj87, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sahara Hilton

Sahara Hilton Member

My Dorothy Dix tuppence-worth ?
    Earlier I did set a flag that I "liked" that you had recorded a formal Complaint with eBay.
    I did that because I considered, based on the discussion up to then, that your reluctant Seller was Wrong on two formal eBay counts -
    1. That he.she was imposing AFTER the agreed Sale, an improper post-Sale condition not specified in the original terms of your mutually agreed Sale price, and
    2. That he/she was demonstrably using that first reneged-upon-Sale to manipulate the ( newly increased ) second Sale price.
    Both those behaviours are 'illegal' in eBay's system, to my understanding.
    You should look to the various headings under "Report This Item" ( a tab on the r.h.s.) for the various formal terms under which Complaints may reasonably be sustained.
    Posting Negative Feedback is another Buyer's option, provided you actually have received the item, when Sale terms as originally described are changed by a Seller.
    Now, given ALL that you have written, especially that you now say you CANNOT establish that it was a Scam ( in my view you might reasonably do that ), and that you say it's Not your style, I think you should reconsider Everything.
    As you have NOT got the item, and you would have to be really, really desperate to buy at a higher than $500 price, AND since the Seller may now Know you have lodged a Complaint, even assuming that the Seller is "just an idiot", WHAT is to stop him (extra cash in hand) from tampering with the item that you wanted to buy at a lesser agreed-price previously ?
    I reckon You have now got yourself into an impossible position with this eBay Seller.
    I'd say just give up, and Keep Looking Elsewhere. That Seller is a dud.
    You could persist with the Complaint with eBay, but I reckon you'd be daft to try to get the needed item from THAT Bad eBay Seller.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

The seller already cancelled the item so I'll never get it now. Like I said it was a lose-lose situation for me. And only person who can confirm if it was a scam or not is the seller.

Before the seller cancelled the order I really tried to explain to the seller my point of view and how PayPal works. But he just kept asking for money. Again, more suspicious behavior.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Trust is a very important part of any transaction;). Be it verbal or financial
    Agree with Sahara. Supply & Demand curves operate accordingly to their rules. Desperate is not a kombi vibe I understand:(. That part will turn up when it should:D. Don't 'fuel their fire' with desperate demand & please do protest:p. What they did is not okay:(.
    Tell them to P..off & wait with Kombi patience:p:D. It will turn up when you least expect;). Opportunity meets timing!!!
    Cheers

vwkj87 likes this.
  4. David H

I've bought some stuff from Club members so I know they're trustworthy;). Don't know their real name, nor their address, but some how it helps me feel more comfortable about the transaction:rolleyes:. Had a guy call me this arvo about his bus that I checked out for me & another member last week ago. He was asking what was left on a very roached bus. We went thru it to see that it wasn't just rust:p. Showed him my bonafides by my KC thread. Happy to take the time to help him. Had a front beam (rare), wheels, nice dash pad, maybe steering box (mine), rear torsions etc ;).
    Cheers

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

We normally go by our stomachs. If we fill hungry we normally have something to eat. If we fill uneasy about something,like a transaction on ebay it normally in good notion that there is more chance that there might be something wrong.

David H and vwkj87 like this.
  6. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Just an update, the seller has now made it personal and given me negative feedback saying I'm useless and cancelled payment. It doesn't even make sense, I can't even cancel payment, I can only request a refund. He cancelled lol.

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Now you need to contact ebay and get that removed from your feedback - complain to them about the seller.

vwkj87 likes this.
  8. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Wait, eBay deleted his feedback comment because they saw what he was trying to do.

This is all because I insisted on sticking with PayPal.

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good. He should get a suspension or something for his actions.

vwkj87 likes this.
  10. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

David
    Do you need a steering box?

11. David H

Not yet but happy to put one in the spares box:).
    Cheers

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

OK, are we done with this now ..... :rolleyes:

An unpleasant experience but reality is only ebay and PayPal contact can resolve any ebay issues and unlikely any 2 circumstances would be the same :confused:

If it's and buts were beer and nuts, we'd have a party every day.

Name and shame or if item still for sale then share with us as some may like to ask question(s) :eek: And share their experience with you :p

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  13. David H

Never heard it before Bert. Love it:D. Can I come to the party?:p
    Cheers

14. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Not totally related, but kinda.

I bought some mud flaps online from a guy in Turkey. I wanted the original square non-necked type so I had to source the OS and this guy seemed the best deal. Anyway purchase and delivery went aok and there were no drama's there. Immediately subsequent to my purchase however I had a significant increase in spam email. 30 - 40 or so spam emails including numerous questionable "click here" emails were bombarding my account every day.

I can't prove anything and maybe it wasn't related, but it was an interesting coincidence.

Got to be careful about all online purchases. It's not only getting scammed in relation to a purchase that can get you into trouble, but what happens to any online info people can get access to.

15. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Was it through ebay or direct from the seller?

16. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

The initial purchase was through ebay, but I think there was then some direct email correspondence following this. I can't remember.

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's the bigger issue - buying something online and getting ripped off is one thing and as much as people don't like to hear it, it was probably your own fault if you did. We all like to buy for the lowest price and that comes at a price. if you take a risk be prepared for the worst possible outcome. Paypal is not perfect but there is at least a reasonable chance you will get a fair outcome. (try buying something from Ali Express - paypal doesnt venture into that muddy water - but having said that Ive made a few purchases there and only one item of around $5 value is yet to arrive, the seller assures me its still coming)

But that aside our digital footprint is a much bigger issue most people even just on this forum have posted enough information for someone to access your bank accounts - then there's face book!

people jump up and down about security and privacy but post their most intimate details of their life in excruciating detail.

David H, oldman, OSF and 1 other person like this.
  18. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

So true!

David H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.