1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFI motor transplant?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Purple Hazel, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Might not be to a lot of people's taste but has anyone done the swap from aircooled to EFI? If so what are the costs involved and is it worth it?

I'd like to keep the old girl original but having peace of mind with a newer motor while cruising around this beautiful country of ours would be really nice... :cool:

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

There are aircooled EFI kombi's. :rolleyes:

3. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Really?? I meant more along the lines of the water cooled 2.2 ltr subaru motor out of a late 90's liberty

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Lots have done it. Have to ask why though? Lots of $$$ that could be spent on getting your aircooled VW motor right. Its a VW - not a Subaru ;)

5. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Haha yeah I know. I knew asking the question might be controversial.. :confused:

6. Grantus

Not that controversial...many suby powered running around, and if done properly, they seem happy with the results.

More easily done on an already watercooled Kombi.

To convert an aircooled one, is a much bigger task, but anything is possible, with varying amounts of time and money.....

Your first post mentioned going to EFI. Aircooled 2litre EFI's are available.

7. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Thanks Grantus, i might research more on aircooled EFI... Would I be looking at around $6,000 to $8,000 for this roughly motor and labour?

8. Grantus

No idea on costs for either....sorry.

Early aircooled T3's run a 2 litre EFI type 4 motor, that transplants into a bay with a bit of fettling, mainly swapping Bay stuff onto the motor.

Much cheaper option than setting up the water cooling system to install a Suby motor...

As I said, both options are possible, depending upon which direction you want to go, how much you want to spend, and.... most importantly, how much you trust the person to do it correctly. o_O

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

now its had a tune up do you still want EFI or a suby?

reason I ask , is that many people look to changing things as a cure all when somethings not working,
    easiest option is usualy fix properly what you already have and it will give good service.

Many 2l bay engines came with EFI. due to people not understanding how to fix some issues or with the age of these throwing some computer and connection issues that can be hard to solve, many folks take the option of converting to carbs. then have a process of trying to get the carbs sorted because some jerk thought they would run right straight out of the box.

Moral being . swaping doesn't necessarily fix the problem and sometimes there are other issues and swapping component X is only half the job.

I would suggest a discussion with your new found mechanics will be more helpful as they are in a position to know more of the externalities of your beast.

yes. a good aircooled with reconditioned carbs and dissy will give good reliable service.
    yes a suby conversion if done right is nice and has a lot of benefits.
    yes you can swap an EFI aircooled to carbs and with a bit of work make it run nice,
    yes , you can fit a modern EFI and reap some benefits. read 'fan forced vw' posts on his t3 with efi.
    No , I wouldn't recommend retro fitting an old air cooled 70's EFI system to your bus

but Im also NOT a mechanic so take you pick :)

10. Grantus

Wise words....... ;)

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

If you are looking at a "drive in / out" i reckon you would be looking a 30% - 50% more.

Give CustomVee Dub a call and have a chat.
    He does these conversions and should be able to give a ballpark over the phone

Peter Walshe
    Custom VEE DUB,
    28 Hayward St,
    Stafford, QLD, 4053.
    p - 07 3356 4356
    f - 07 3355 5234

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

recon we missed a good chance to convince you to go a 2.5 suby in the last few weeks .:D

13. Grantus

Moi? ..............NEVER!

100% VW all the way......... no matter what "speed humps" it chucks at me. :eek:

;)

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Don't think Pete is doing many nowdays. plus PH is in Adelaide
    AM auto in noosa is doing good conversions and I think its around 12k now

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yeah , Yeah, stock standard ? :p

16. Grantus

Very close to......... even running VW Borbet wheels at the mo. ;)

Point being sticking with VW, is that each bus left the factory and arrived for sale in working order when new. No reason it can't get back to the same running condition, with the right mechanic. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    Only caveat being if original or quality replacement parts for original EFI become NLA.

18. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the impression I got from Pete at custom vee dub. There is enough work around for mechanics that know aircooled.

19. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

Thanks Barry

20. Purple Hazel

Purple Hazel Member

No she drives great now cbus its just a thought I had even before purchasing her. More power, reliability, air con perhaps??

I love the sound of a happy and healthy vw motor everyyime I hear one it makes me smile but the efi suby motor was just a thought of what could be.