1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFI vs NA

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by kombi-man, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day KCers,
    I have a 76 EFI Kombi.
    I purchased it with a CBBVW 2L with EFI, running a MicroTech MT-4 ECU with original single throttle body setup and injectors (Original computer is still in the bus).
    It is frustrating that I can't adjust anything and to do so I need to put it on a dyno.

Given it has already been altered,I am contemplating a Dual carb setup (Webbers).

Thoughts?

2. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

EFI is NA. Both carbies and fuel injection are both naturally aspirated, no forced induction used (turbo).

I have the same motor, less the Motec, any idea why it was put on?
    You can adjust idle speed with the main screw, what else are you thinking of modding? Air inlet feed, cams etc? Are you after more power or better sound etc?

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You are still alive Carl! :rolleyes:

No help at all with your question.......but should catch up for a coffee one day. :)

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

talk to mike and he will sort it out.

5. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Getting it right on Webbers is also going to require dyno tuning! Its no big deal, take it to a vw friendly dyno tuner and get the microtech setup right.
    Oh and if you like to tinker with your engine yourself you can get a hand/dash mounted controller for microtechs...

6. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Thanks All,
    DanSA points out a blatant flaw in my post, they are both NA, well you got what I meant, thank you.
    The Microtech was a replacement for the OEM computer (still in the bus) which I guess was either broke or inadequate for the CBBVW Gold Spec motor that was fitted back in 2007.

G'day Grant, still alive, I had to put the kombi on hold while I built the studio/granny flat in the back yard, I can give you the run down over coffee one day :) if you still have my number send me text and we can catch up.. I hope we can resurrect Kombi Coffee soon.

Thanks Kai, I have been talking to Mike, the main issue is Mike is in Penrith which is 4+ hours from Canberra, given my Kombi is a hobby, I don't want to take up too much of his business day, he has been very generous with his time and experience thus far though.. Communicating by email is ok, but still no substitute for deep thought with a cold beverage staring into the darkness of the engine bay.

G'day Garth, I got on to MicroTech, just yesterday, the MT-4 unit I have dates back to the late 90's and is Fuel only (they wonder why it was fitted in 2007 when there were better options available) and there are no firmware upgrades and nothing else that can be tweaked, the only solution is replacing it. A replacement unit is at least $1000 which ever brand I look at.

Quandary:
    The OEM injection has already been modified, so would it be wrong to replace it with a dual carb system or should I keep going and enhance with the EFI mod.

I have spoke to Mike at CBBVW and he as both technologies available.

I went and spoke to Rod Penrose in Wollongong (had to go there for work), he has a dual throttle body set up that I can bolt on that should work with my Microtech, he also showed me a dual carb set up (which I am familiar with) and for me, I understand it and it looks cool stacked on either side of the motor.

Whether it's stick with EFI or change to Carbs what ever I decide to do is going to cost $1500,
    The current set up is not quite adequate for the engine, the guy I bought it off did a good job, but it is now tired and worn and technology has moved on.

Every time I weigh the pros and cons I get a headache.

In the back of my mind I hear 1500king saying "Original is the way to go, it worked then and it still works now (I read it some where in a post about a guy who wanted to do a Suby conversion).
    But, it has already been modified so is it wrong to think about a complete change of technology??

Enjoy the long weekend Canberrans and Mexicans :)

7. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Pfft sorry Carl, last time I played with a microtech was nearly 10yrs ago and I assumed you had a newer unit, not an older one! Have you looked at megasquirt ecu's? They are cheaper and I've heard are easy to setup (not actually done one myself).
    I dont see anything wrong with adding some modern technology to our old kombi's....

8. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day Garth,
    There are a few that are cheaper but, it comes down to what kind of support you can get, everything seems limited here in Canberra (except politicians).

9. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

You said you have costed out both options - going for dual carbs or remedying the EFI issues - and it comes to roughly the same dollars i.e. $1500. So I think you have answered your own question. Go with your gut and what you know. You know carbies and will have fun tinkering with them. So go the new dual carb set up. Rod Penrose can definitely sort you out there.....
    Or plan a trip to Mike @ cbb and pay him to sort out the EFI. I think reading between the lines of your posts, your gut is saying dual carbs..... Good luck, either way.

10. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Thanks KM, I think you might be on to something.
    I am not rushing this decision, if I can find a Kombi friendly Dyno tuner in Canberra I am willing to stick with it, but at the end of the day I am never going to have one in the shed.

I am a little worried about the backlash from the Kombi purists though about removing the EFi and going old school..

A few more weeks/months before I need to do anything though.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You could try Auto Tech at Hume. They have a dyno AND I have seen an immaculate Bay in the workshop there at times...;)

1a/15 Sheppard Street, Hume ACT 2620
    (02) 6260 1166

12. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Thanks Grant, I will drop by next week and see what they say.

13. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day KCers,
    Latest update,
    I just had a call from Mike at CBB, he is very passionate about EFI.
    I trust his experience and I will be sticking with EFI and probably upgrading my skills and the technology in the bus along the way.

Also, while I was on the phone I ordered a new set of Pistons and Barrels, top end rebuild is about to get underway...

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Yeah - stick woth the EFI Carl.

tinkering with EFI is just like tinkering with carbies - just the tools are different...

They both measure airflow and throttle posistion and deliver a set amount of fuel.

My next build will be EFI - IF it has an internal combustion engine.......

15. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

Saabman, great to hear from you.
    I did consider the full EV conversion for the bus, but I still think battery technology has a way to go until it is reliable enough to take on a long weekend holiday.

But who knows what's around the corner :)

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

:cool:It all depends on far you want to go