1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Fuel Pump?

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Alpal, Aug 31, 2009.

1. foobah

foobah New Member

Electrickery

Hi all

I'm about to attempt this process on my 74 Bay - it's an 1800 and the pump diaphragm carked it when I replaced the cracked fuel lines, and there's no rebuild kit available for that mechanical pump - so I picked up the pump (a Facet 1.5-3psi), a blanking plate and gasket from Classic Vee Dub in Rydalmere for $75, which is pretty good when you think Repco wanted $135 for the exact same pump and no blanking plate.

I still need the cutoff relay and a clearer idea of how to wire it up. Can anyone suggest:

1) the relay I need

2) where I could possibly purchase same

3) what the best wiring might be for this application?

k

2. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Second post on this thread, the gas safety switch can be bought from any LPG vehicle fitting station. If you post the terminal ID/placement on the particular unit you get I will draw up a mud map wiring diagram for you but any auto elect should be able to nut it out fairly quickly.

T1 Terry

3. foobah

foobah New Member

Awesome, thanks Terry. There's an LPG joint in Marrickville near my house, I'll go see them in the morning. I'm intending to take step by step shots of the process so if there's somewhere I can post them for posterity, to make this process easier for anyone in the future, please let me know.

k

4. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

How can one be sure that the pressure is correct? Is there a silver bullet for this problem of preventing over-supply? With a mechanical pump the delivery is in proportion with engine revs but with the electric unit surely it is either on or off - how does this perform across the range of the motor from idle to top speed?

5. 66 deluxe

66 deluxe New Member

I got some made up, their $15 plus postage with socket head bolts but no gasket i use loctite 518 for a gasket its the same as i use on the oil pump, camplug and oil filler tube, good stuff.

Damo.

6. Tash

Tash Member

Greetings all, just starting to go through this process myself. Did you folks cut short, or remove the push rod?

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Push rod is gone! Blanking plate made from a scrap of aluminum.

David H likes this.
  8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just pull it out, but be ready for a bit of oil leaking out. It is very low in the engine so you should have the blanking plate ready.

Adrian

David H likes this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sounds like an oil change at the same time might be a good thing;). Empty sump...no draining oil from fuel pump hole...clean surface for blanking plate. I've got an F/I so it just keeps pressure up & returns unused fuel to tank. Yes..F/I tank different with return swirl pot.
    Cheers

MAP77 likes this.
  10. Mordred

Have found some extra info about removing the push rod. If you take it out you end up with a oil gallery port open that is fed from the lifter supply. It isn’t a splash lubrication set up as I thought it was. It is suggested that you take the rod out, cut it shorter then weld a bolt or washer on the fuel pump end to stop it contacting the cam shaft, and then fit the blanking plate. People have been running without them for years but having a leak in a oil gallery isn’t the greatest idea.

Adrian

Tash and cbus like this.
  11. Alpal

Sounds like a plan! Will do. Now where did that push rod go?

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

There's a need to have a lot of these little gems catalogued so that they are easy to find. Bit like finding stuff in Ratwell.

Anyone up to it ;)

13. Mordred

We can just ask you to find them for us!!

Realistically though you have a point. There are a lot in stickys but often the info is buried in the middle of threads with often discussions or other posts hiding them. Take the Microbus Resurrection mega post. Great info, well documented, including pics, but you do have to look through it to find info on a particular item.

One to think about.

Adrian

14. Alpal

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Relying on my memory would be a worry.
    Runs a bit like a 25hp motor....
    Turns over and makes noise but progress is not guaranteed. :)

I eventually recall seeing something on the issue but SFA chance of recalling where.

And only work off a phone now so can't create a useful cache of interesting items.

16. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain the fuel pump rod oiling is fed from the non pressure side of the last cam bearing, so doesn't mater wether rod in or out.
    I sort of know this because I was going to replace the mechanical pump with an electric during reconditioning the engine so looked at the oil feed while the cases were apart.
    I ended up using different cases from a T3 with no fuel pump push rod bore
    I still have the original cases and will double check to make sure my statement is correct.
    Pics to show 2morrow.
    P3190088.jpg

CU designated engine.
    Main oil gallery blocked by the bronze sleeve, no oil in to were the rod runs except from the back of the cam.
    This my not be the case in earlier type 4 engines in which case it needs to be blocked to maintain oil pressure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  17. Alpal

Had a bit of time this arvo so dragged old block out. Agree with above. No oil feed into pushrod tube. This was from an 1800 block.

rstucke likes this.
  18. Mordred

19. Mordred

More developments to come methinks. It would appear the gallery feed hole may not appear in all fuel pump fitted blocks? Bear in mind that the hole may be a fair way in looking at the measurements in the diagram.

Adrian

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Valid point.
    But often changes are done by "geniuses" for one reason or another without consideration to long term consequences.

Not all issues show up short term or are obvious to owners.

In this case it is good that the issue is being looked at and I for one am confident in the skills of most contributes here to give a good asessment that is valid.

Motor builders "should" have the requisite experience and I agree to giving a builder the full job so that everything is considered and his responsibility, but again there's a "but."
    Not all builders are suitably qualified, skilled or honest.

And not all owners are willing to pay to have it done right.

I also await the outcome of discussion with interest as to if it has an affect in oil pressure or other peripherals

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018