electric power steering

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by 85 Caravelle, Jan 2, 2014.

1. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

Hi all,, Happy New Year to you all .

Just wondering if anyone has any info on aftermarket power steering , saw the youtube link posted the other day ,, are there any Sydney stockists and installers of this or similar systems .

Cheeres

Geoff

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff someone on here posted quite a while ago and seemed happy with the result, think it was on a bay. I have a complete factory power steering kit for sale. I also have the flexible high pressure hose as mentioned in the attached link. Can source the low pressure line in Australia but I could not get the correct connectors for the high pressure line. Installing with these hoses makes the job simple and quick as no need to remove the fuel tank and no risk of kinking the factory supplied hard lines. I ended up with 2 high pressure lines as 1 was ordered from Frank at beginning of November and didnt arrive so I got one from the only other supplier in USA I could find. Franks has now turned up. So I will supply the full factory kit as well as include the flexible high pressure line.
    http://www.frankcondelli.com/hose.htm

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Nick at Volksparts here in Bungendore has installed at least one electric power steering that I know. I was going to install one with him on my '82 until the '89 with factory power steering came on the scene. We will still install the one in the '82 at some stage as my son has purchased it.

Regards,
    Ian

4. Robomac

Robomac New Member

5. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

So I just did a search for electric power steering and found this from 2 Jan 2014 !!! Must have been a good New year as I had no recollection!!!!Quite apart from that the members who kindly replied to my post with info must have thought me a right rude @##@@#%, so four years later please accept my apologies for not replying to your responses .

6. Luckyphil

7. Luckyphil

See post above

8. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

Sorry Phil ,haven't been on for few days , Those look like a good deal, exchange rate is pretty good at the moment,

9. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

I wonder how much extra load this would be putting on the linkage and relay box. Normal PS is in the rack its self, this system transfers that throught the relay box and universals.

10. 85 Caravelle

85 Caravelle Member

Thats worth thinking about for sure .

11. peter915

peter915 Active Member

I considered this idea myself, but I discounted it when I looked into getting a engineers certificate for the unit.
    That alone made the exercise very expensive.

I've now gone down the path of installing a factory PS rack from another van, plus the additional pump and hoses.
    But technically it should comply.
    And I agree with Brent - the electric unit must place stress on the linkages between itself and the steering rack. ?