1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric windows?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by wazza, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wazza

wazza New Member

Hey All

I have a 74 Bay Kombi and I was wondering if anyone had successfully installed electric windows for front driver and passenger? If so, how did you do it?

Cheers
    Wazza :D

2. lotsofhair

lotsofhair Member

I myself have not had them installed however, i have been told you can get them done cheap with central locking at the same time... only thing u may want to look at is how much power the windows will draw from the battery (my uncle was telling me electric windows will equal to a new battery each year)

3. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Do a search Wazza, Iam pretty sure Doc has done this mod.

4. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Kombikid was the dude who put in the benz actuators. He sold that Kombi though I think.

Lotsofhair it wont work on your 73, FYI. The actuators for the central locking have to go in the way of the windows, so they wont roll down.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I havent done this yet but have been researching it.

I stumbled across the website of Rapid Electronics - www.rapidelectronics.com.au

The two door power window kit looks pretty good, here is the link:
    http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/products/2-door-power-windows.html

The installation example is here:
    http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/...d Electronics Power Windows into my first car...

There are a couple more installation guides also. It looks like it would work if you mounted the motor in the lower part of the door where most people mount the front speakers, i am mounting my speakers somewhere under the dash to allow for this option later on....

I have the kit from here also for the central locking and for the trunk release, will keep all informed how I go setting it all up.

Cheers, Chris

6. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

no offence meant, but I don't get electric windows at all. I find I have the windows up or down, and that doesn't take much effort. Maybe others go up and down a lot.

Actually, I recently came across the first time I wish I had electric windows, driving the commodore. I had dropped the passenger side down an inch to help release the heat that builds up inside. When I drove off I found I couldn't reach the winder and drive safely...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

My 5 year old neighbour, hopped in the kombi to take a load of garden clippings down the back paddock.

She looked at the window winder on her door, and said "What's that for?" :lol:

She grew up in a Subaru Forester, and relations newer vehicles..... :rolleyes:

8. Nigel

Nigel Member

Electric windows or rain-sensing wipers!?!

There are some people who react that way to clutch pedals; mostly North Americans I think!

The only times when I might find electric windows to be useful, is when I'm alone and stopping to ask directions from a pedestrian. Otherwise they're superfluous!

However, I am looking forward to retro-fitting my rain-sensing, windscreen-wiper speed controller! :) :cool:

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that, especially VAG power windows.

10. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

i agree also, just another thing to go wrong, but i would still want them as when wired correctly a "global" function can be installed winding all the windows up for you when using central locking from a distance :)

also i have seen someone modify i think it was a mercedes regulator to fit a kombi, looks simple enough and the instructions were fairly indepth

11. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think "Electric Life" may do a Kombi window.

12. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

13. dbs

dbs Member

14. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

I worry that sometimes these kit's can make a vehicle look sort of cheap. But I do agree it's frustrating when someone leaves their window open or if you are trying to ask direction's, but I'm a man so don't realy need to ask for directions lol.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  15. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I guess I show my age. I am from the old school and don't like power windows. I don't mind central locking but in both my kombis it is pretty simple to lock all doors when parking. I am in the habit of walking around the vehicle to make sure it is locked before I leave. Who is to say that one door may be left unlocked if an actuator fails in a centrally locked vehicle. I have driven / owned Subarus (wife still has the latest Imprezza) and don't like the power windows. If you need a window down you need power on. In an accident if the power is taken out and you need the window down, one wonders at the result.

Ian

16. dbs

dbs Member

Central locking from a safety point of view is not good unless it is one that can open just the driver's door or all doors. A girl on her own could find someone jumping in one of the other doors. It is handy if you are carting others around to unlock or lock thbe vehicle quicker... but me, I could take it or leave it.
    Electric windows I find very convenient, but like Ian I'm aware that failure can be dangerous... Both my wife's car and mine have an emergency tool kept in them that has a glass breaker and seatbelt cutter, just in case.
    ;)

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I had electric windows in my golf and found it rather usefull when wanting to wind up or down windows in other parts of the vehicle. Svaed trying to reach behind while driving to wind the window down. And the remote control ofthe windows up and down, was great - especial If I left the windows down and itstarted raining no running outside getting wet just grab the remote and all sorted...

It also has the feature of giving you the choice of just unlocking the drivers door or all doors, and if you locked the car then accidently hit the unlock button the doors would relock if a door had not been opened within 30secs.

The fords I am FORCED to travel in (I certainly wouldnt call it driving) for work unlock everything, if you bump the buttons you leave the POS unlocked and if you accidently press the boot button it leaves the boot not only unlocked but open.

But I am certainly more than content with my nice SIMPLE Kombi opperation. I couldnt imaging the golf been still useable when it is more than 30years yold the works POS isnt even usable now :)

18. Nigel

Nigel Member

Central locking & electric windows

Some of the modern cars have laminated side windows, for both security & safety reasons, so your pointed "life-hammer", might not be so effective in smashing through the windows, from inside!

19. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

Winders? What are they?

My windows slide!:p

20. dbs

dbs Member

got that coverred ... I've got one of these:
    :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApUSw0xsRY