1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric windscreen washer - a conversion

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by BrissyGeorge, Sep 22, 2016.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

Like every Kombi owner (safe assumption I think) my air pressure washers didn`t work. The operating valve was cactus - plus any system that requires you to get a bike pump out to run the washers is sus.

After reading many posts about conversions and not wanting to add a button to the dash I bit the bullet and firstly modified the switch/valve on the column by installing a micro switch in place of the valve (the most complicated part but not rocket science), a pump, connected to the original bottle and tubes, wired it up and hey presto - proper washers.

The only down side is that after each wash, all the fluid from the tubes drains back to the bottle, which means next wash there is a delay in water hitting the screen as the fluid needs to be pumped back up again. Compared to what I had before, its still great however I was wondering about a non return valve - anyone know if a micro size one is made and if so where can I get it from?

cheers

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

There are ones that might be suitable from an aquarium supply. They use them in the air pump lines to stop water draining back into the pump.

Adrian

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me I have to check the one in the Type3 - I can hear the motor working but nothing comes out = a blockage somewhere or just the distance to pump it :rolleyes:

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Where do you get the micro switches from thanks

5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Wayne Jaycar have micro switches,I fitted a few to beetles and kombis a few years ago,I used the Commodore washer one way valve and it makes the system efficient whilst looking original

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  6. leithbro

leithbro Member

This was actually one of the first things I 3d printed. There is a good micro-switch at jaycar that actually fits the end of the stock pin in the washer. Only problem is that it's only rated at 50mA. Seems to work fine, but really should be run through a relay or transistor.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/spst-pcb-mount-tactile-switch-round/p/SP0609

grumble likes this.
  7. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Yes the relay is the way to go,i forgot about that when I was typing.