Emergency Repair Clutch Cable Fit

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by 68BUS, Oct 5, 2016.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    I had my clutch cable break today at work and I need to replace it to get home.
    My question is. I have a spare new clutch cable for a 1968/1969 Type 2. Will this fit in a 1966 Splitscreen does anyone know?
    If not there is little point in me pulling it all out and I would be better getting it towed home instead.
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. grumble

grumble Active Member

Unfortunately there a lot of different length cables(and i can't remember). The easiest way is pull the old cable out and fit a phillips screwdriver through the eye,compare the length of the 2 cables

3. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

After getting stuck under the bus at the office i did the smart thing. Free lift home. And i drove it out the office and down my street so it barely counts as a breakdown.
    [​IMG]

I have ordered 2 cables (1spare). Plus while i am there i will replace the bowden tube and front clip too. Hopefully it wont break again any time soon.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good idea to do the full change Brad.
    Theres a bit of prefered brand thingy as well.
    Cant remember which tho so hopefuly you have the inside on that or someone will post the preferred brands then you will know why it has broken in short time again if its not the sanctioned item :oops:

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Clutches are only needed at red lights, or stop signs. Just match the gear change up or down, to the engine revs.

And wear out the starter motor in first gear at traffic lights, or stop start traffic.....;)

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Brings back memories :rolleyes:

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

8. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

Had to do this in 1987 in a Ford (I know?) Transit, a great V4 1971 Camper, but in the middle of Rome! Certainly focused the concentration, but managed to get to the mechanic for a quick easy repair.
    Haven't had to do it in the Kombi, touch wood!

Steve

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep, been there and done that in trucks. Which is exactly why I know it is a terrible idea to do it to get home when a free tow is an option. Brisbane city traffic is basically 6km of stop signs every 50m. I like my gearbox and starter motor too much. Besides, it just takes one mistake and and I damage the bus further. I am man enough to get a tow and not feel bad.

Grantus likes this.