Employment post

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ttmck, Nov 7, 2008.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Just over a week ago, we were advised of another restructure. There are no forced redundancies but voluntary redundancy packages are available if you don't want redeployment/retraining etc. My position is actually safe but my unit is going from 9 positions to 3 and there are another 21 positions going in nearby areas. As I almost have 22 years with Australia Post, the package is attractive and I have asked for a quote. (Colleagues whose positions are going, see me as their saviour :)) My payout won't pay off the mortgage but it will put a good hole in it if we refinance (have to talk to a tax advisor). However, I believe that I will have to go straight into something else.

So, I would be looking for a middle-management admin role - I am currently in operational support/process improvement/project, so would be looking for similar roles, possibly in freight/logistics but not necessarily. I also have a background in hospitality and retail.

Sydney location needed - city is fine but west/north-west would be great and I would consider a slightly smaller salary package if closer to home. Any leads appreciated. I have a couple of months to look and make my decision on whether to stay or leave.

Cheers,

Baz

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

I'm a waif! Well not really a waif, but I am looking for work.

I live in a little house in Ringwood with my beautiful girlfriend and a cat named Squeak.

I've mostly worked in printing and stationery, facilities, hospitality, security and photographic location work, but my talents are wide and varied. I studied photography for a year, love hands on roles, I'm very practical, etc. etc.

Licences = Car, Medium Rigid, Motorcycle.. all full and unrestricted.

I'm really open as far as work goes, as long as it's not gutting chickens for $2.50 an hour. :p

fekkinell@hotmail.com is me.

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  3. rjdsunsets

rjdsunsets New Member

Hi all,

I am a freelance photographer and graphic designer based in Melbourne who is about to become the proud owner of a mortgage and is looking for work.

I would be interested in hearing about any projects or positions going, casual, part time, full time and happy to forward my CV on to anyone ( I also have a ten year background in project and client management ). Some examples of my work can be found here http://www.robdaniel.com.au

I also shoot weddings so if you know of anyone getting married then a referral would be great.

Finally, if any wants some professional shots of your ride then please don't hesitate to get in touch. I will come to you (Vic).

Email: rob@robdaniel.com.au
    Mobile: 0432 510 232

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
    Rob

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

hi everyone :) i thought i would chuck my own spill in here :)
    I need a job badly! thats the bottom line! i am willing to do any job.. ANY!! i have a car :) and licence. 6yrs experience in retail/customer service. I have a cert 4 in business management, a cert 4 in small business management and a cert 2 in IT. i have experience building and maintaining websites, admin duties, bookkeeping skills even! I am looking for a job in any industry that will take me!

Cheers Anna.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney New Member

Hi all,

My brother is looking for a painting job..... He is on the South Coast of NSW (Gerroa, between Wollongong & Nowra). He has done some work experience and has a white card... He's 18 too.

please call me on 0415 041 697 if you know of anything.

Thanks

6. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

I'm looking for a new direction.

Currently doing retail sales work in the marine industry but seems not to many people have any $'s to spend on boats, as much as i enjoy the work i'm not up for the cut throat competition between salesman where i'm at just to try and hit budget let alone make any decent money.

i have been thinking about doing a mature age apprenticeship or going back to study somthing new.

i guess my aim is to get into a career that i can do for the next 30 years before i retire to a small secluded beach side village in Northern NSW. (i want to be the local old guy in speedos hanging 10 at the point every day on my mal) :lol: :lol:

i am looking for work anywhere on the Goldcoast

7. wasabi

wasabi New Member

I had my own bicycle shop, dont anymore, it was a stress watching $$s .So closed it up, then was very happy and found myself again, went surfing did what I wanted, even bought a kombi .Then wanted $$s to fix up kombi. I found the best way to get a job is to walk around and ask for a job, Seek did not work for me, tried to get lots of jobs but when I went asking around I got one within a week.Do it it will work even though the Gold Coast is like a ghost town when it comes to jobs.

8. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

So now I am an almost qualified teachers' aide as well as studying for my childrens services ceritificate. I do work experience two days a week at a primary school and love teaching and even though I have 3 casual jobs to keep the money flowing in I would love it if anyone has a position for a teachers aide or at a pre-school. thks Melissa

9. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Looks like my Fantastic new job, turned south, spent 7months growing the business, finding new customers, building relationships only to be told they are heading in a different direction and my services will no longer be needed. So when not browsing the KC I am browsing Seek.com, with the time off I would love to be doing a few majorish things to the Kombi but can't afford to not have it drivable in case of interviews, as it is now my daily driver having lost my company ute.

Thought about a mature aged apprenticeship in Auto Electrical but am scared the money will be too low to support mortgage, Kombi needs and still have cash to live off. No one can give me a clear idea of wages etc.

10. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I contemplated a mature aged apprenticeship years ago but decided against it based on the wages. As a mature apprentice (25+) you still receive normal apprentice wages plus a government subsidy which can be up to $6500 before tax per year. 1st year apprentice probably takes home between $300-400 per week. Not much to live on after you take away mortgage and bills. But then money isn't everything.

11. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

One of my customers was the RTA and I know they pay way better, a 1st year mature aged gets 4th year rates which I was told was about $850pw as they prefer older apprentices and try to keep them, the catch i though that they do tend to keep them meaning its not often a gig comes up.

Yeah money isn't everything but at the moment its a necessary evil.

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with trade jobs. The money really is crap and you get health problems as you get older. Clerical jobs really are the go. More $/hour, 35hr week, you don't have to work in the rain or cold, usually no shift work and you probably live longer.

If you want to earn good money get intp RailCorp and become a train driver. $100k+ each year but you have to work crap shifts.

13. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Scored, Just got a phone call from the Parts Manager at a Big Brand Auto Company. Start in 2 weeks. Big Brands (oe) Occasional 1/2day Saturdays (only) at better pay, 15mins from home.... No company car for now.....but a certain (Favorite) Brand within the company is expanding soon and upgrade is on the cards!

14. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Good to hear Nath :)

15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Fantastic news Nath - but what about Easter?

16. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Easter is still a go!!! I made sure of that first!:D

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Woohoooo!!

18. bushie

bushie New Member

regarding mature age traineeships .......if it with nsw railcorp or the major Electical suppliers you are paid the rate of labourer between $20 to $24 per hour plus O/T.
    After doing his own thing for a few years my son at 23yo apply and got a trainee
    linesman job on railway .
    Now in 3rd year of training he has an offsider age 40 who just started as trainee.
    So give it a go and see what comes . Cheers bazz

19. AdamBorzy

AdamBorzy New Member

Thanks for starting this thread few years ago. Does anyone of you guys know who deploys and work at home? Posting websites or urls regarding those sites will be highly appreciated. :)

20. thegownchick

thegownchick Guest

There might be three days casual work going at my workplace, July 24 25 & 26.
    More of the same work will be available December 10th to 14th.
    Location - Southbank in Brisbane.
    Great job for a mature aged mum. $21/hour. Friendly team of people.
    Customer service role, helping to dress university graduates in academic gowns for their graduation ceremonies. So you're on your feet most of the time.
    If you're interested, let me know.
    jcorporal@qutguild.com
    Janette