1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End play, 2 litre

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by mr happy, May 10, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    Am i correct in thinking that the flywheel has to be on the engine to accurately check end play? Was unsure so removed it initially only to find literally mm's of movement. Looking at the way the flywheel is machined and the shim arrangement it looks as though it is this that limits the end play.
    Anyone confirm if this is correct? Engine hasn't been run since being rebuilt (by previous owner) and i just want to find any gremlins before install,
    13E44865-903B-4E81-B5EA-ABF18178ACAD.jpeg
    Cheers guys
    Mr h

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You are correct in your thoughts
    The flywheel holds the shims and thus limits the end play

That seems a lot
    You should have 3 shims in there
    Normally, from distant memory, shims are .25mm-ish
    Would have thought anything more than 1mm without shims was excessive

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

endplay .07 to 0.13, wear limit 0.15
    shims 0.24, 0.3, 0.32, 0.34. 0.36, 0.38 (some sizes available from VW Heritage)

to measure
    put in 2 shims
    use dial gauge to measure movement
    calculate 3rd shim (minus desired end play)

oil seal goes in after the final shims are put in
    use Loctite on crankshaft bolts

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Rick.
    I have had a similar scenario ( can't remember exact measurement) with possibly mm or more sans the shims and flywheel.

Is there a limit on that measurement?
    ie. Is there a point / measurement that the bearing controls limit before fitting the flywheel.

5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If your saying should the lip on the rear bearing be a certain width then yes, but I don't know what it is.
    There are 4 shallow dimples on the thrust surface to help get oil in and out and the condition of those would be a good indication of wear.
    Riding the clutch in city traffic will contribute to wear in this area. I've seen this on earlier (up right) engines a long time ago.
    I did machine my flywheel in the corresponding area because it was scored (which would increase end play). This could be the cause of excessive end play when everything else is ok (machine shop seeing the scored surface and machining it out while machining the clutch surface not realising it also controls end float)
    I bought two 0.38 shims (the thickest ones) and the third shim came in at 0.32. I used standard main bearings.
    I can't see there being a problem with using a 4th shim which I was prepared to do to my engine (but not necessary)

The original engine in my Kombi was butchered by some idiot
    It had excessive end float and only 2 shims (which I think contributed to the crack through the main centre journal and ruined the engine)
    After removing the flywheel I could see where some idiot had used a chisel to hit the bearing all round in the hope to raise the material
    Makes you wonder how these oxygen thieves were capable of breathing on their own.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    peter drogi likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Ha.
    Some bl###dy geniuses out here.:rolleyes:

Thanks.