1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Codes

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by KahunaKombi, Jun 14, 2007.

1. karstan

karstan Member

Did industrial engines come with a case to be bolted to a kombi ?? thats strange ... mines a Tp too ...

2. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

very slow then

3. karstan

karstan Member

engine number 7061571 ... ????

4. Sarge

Sarge Member

My turn now!

I have a '72 low light with the engine number AP008106. I was told it was a 1600 but the engine number would seem to suggest it's an 1800 out of a '75 transporter. I'm new to VW's and don't know much about them. Looks like I'm going to have to learn, Faast!!:D

5. rta99699

rta99699 New Member

hi does any one know how much horsepower my 75 kombi has at the wheels
    thanks rob. it has a 1800 motor in it.

6. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

Hi I am currently in the process of buying a 1976 Bay Camper with an engine number of GP023367 and supposedly it is meant to be a 2 litre. I cant seem to find any info online about Engine numbers starting with GP. Can anybody shed some light for me?/= cheers

7. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

Once I inspected the Kombi... It was intact GD phew... Thought I was going crazy trying to work out GP

8. mickey

mickey New Member

Can someone tell me what year and engine size the CE prefix is.? Its was sold to us as a 2litre but the RTA papers state 1679.0.

I cant find it on this thread.

Also where is the auto gearbox number located.?

Thanks

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

CE 062 1,7 08 / 72 - 07 / 73 Type 2

On the first page :eek:

Cheers, Mark

10. GRACIEPOG

GRACIEPOG Member

This is a very old thread, but I thought I would resurrect it as I cannot find an answer to my questions.

I have a Kombi and the engine number on the outer case is AP (1800). But the other engine number stamped behind the fan shroud section says NS, and this number corresponds with the rego papers. The capacity on the rego papers also state 2140, so 2.1L.

I've googled and cannot find any reference to an NS engine prefix.

Any ideas???

I'm guessing a rebuild using a new case that had no engine number so they stamped it themselves.

11. jbot

jbot Member

I have just bought a 1.8l to put in my 75' bus and found that the engine code and fan shroud code are different. Not like my 2.0l which is identical.

Both start with AP but the actual engine code finishes with an 'X'. Anyone have an idea to what 'X' means?

12. kezamakombi

kezamakombi New Member

Hi there,

I'm having trouble idenitifying my engine and year model, here are the numbers we've found can anyone de-code them?

CE 12036-39 number on the gear box
    AR 059 171 number on the generator base (definitely AR)
    2240320 VIN number
    2222210 112 chassis number

Help Please! Its hard buying engine parts when you don't know what you're dealing with. We also don't know if its a type 1 or 2

13. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

The first 2 digits of the chassis number 22 tell you it is a 9 seater Microbus. The 3rd digit 2 is the year of production i.e. 1972

Engine code comes up as a 1300 beetle engine.

14. obi

obi Member

ok folk so what sort motor AP049678 is on the motor im thinking its a 1700cc on the chassie there is 2 sets of numbers top one is 2340312329 the one below is 2352150432 so info if anyone has any

15. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

Ap is an 1800 engine....dont understand why there are two numbers as mine has two as well

16. obi

obi Member

Found out yes your right 1800 cc not 1700 cc motor but will investigate why 2 chassis numbers

17. jbot

jbot Member

Hi, I have a 75 bus which the previous owner converted the type 1 1.6l to type 4 2.0l with 002 box.

Since this, I have replaced 2.0l with matching 1.8l engine to box. 2.0l died and could find another.

My question is, the fan shroud has AP020344 and engine AP020770X.

I assume having different codes it was exchanged at some stage but I am unsure of its age, if it is a 75 year engine or what the 'X' means.

Can anyone help???

18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

the number on the case is the correct indicator of age. Maybe the X has been added sometime by police for registration purposes??
    does the X look newer or different font?

19. jbot

jbot Member

Hi cbus, cheers for response. I forgot I posted a msg before re this.

So the numbers correspond to the build number I.e number 20,770 for engine. Is that a 75 year engine code or earlier?

Looking at the codes and fonts. The fan shroud has the code stamped straight with same font and size. The engine code is different, the 'AP' and ending 'X' lettering are higher than the numbers, all of which are stamped on a slight angle, sort of messy or should I say hand stamped maybe. The X does look the same as the others. Hope this make any sense.

20. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

This appears to be correct because I have just seen the original dealer papers of a '71 Kombi with the chassis & engine numbers written in the book by the dealer (Ansis Motors, Oakleigh) dated 23/10/71.
    Engine code is AD.....