1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine conversion kits

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by deanokombi, Dec 23, 2006.

1. deanokombi

deanokombi New Member

i was talkin to my uncle who told me that you could get kitts to put holden engines in kombi and i was just wanderin wat is the biggest engine you can put in them and how much does it cost for the kits for all the engines? thanks

2. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

This has a Ford 351 Windsor up it's Khyber Pass...

[​IMG]

This has a 3.5L Rover V8...

[​IMG]

and this has a Holden 3.8L EcoTec V6 from a Commodore...

[​IMG]

You are really only limited by how much you wanna spend.... can be anywhere from $3000 up to $20000 depending upon the setup, who does it, etc etc. The GM 3800 V6 one is the tidiest of the lot IMHO and has been done fairly frequeently, so it would seem like a good one to try... should be plenty of info out there...

Kimm Garland from Indian Automotive ("The Cheif" on Kombi Club) owns the black crewcab in the photo above, he'd probably be your best contact as he has seen and done many wierd and wonderful engine conversions, lowering jobs and all manner of other interesting modification in his time.

Indian are up here in Kingswood NSW, but Kimm might be able to recommmend omebody to do the work down in Victoria and give you a better idea of the kinda money you're looking to shell out. :)

CHeers!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  3. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

air or water?

Are those modified engines air or water cooled?

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

All watercooled mate... the green panelvan has a radiator cleverly mounted behind the front apron... hence the vents in the nose. Kevo's yellow one has a VZ Commodore rad mounted on the bullbar, and Kimm's crewcab has a custom radiator setup wiuth two fans underneath the tray in front of the motor. The crewcab is supercharged. :cool:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

5. brookie

brookie Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  6. Takhoal

Takhoal Member

http://www.volksconversions.com.au/

John can sort you out with kits to suit around 150 different combos that will mate any engine to your g'box. Thats the easy part. Rad mounts and placement and crossmembers and engineers certs and so on are all the fun part.

Check out the forums here for a cpl of threads on engine transplants, some nice Subaru jobs have been done.

Another thing to consider is your states local rulings on what is okay and what will get you spanked.

if youre in brissie and want a Toyota 18rc with a weber on it with adapter plate for a 091 bus box gimme a yell as my front yard and neighbours would appreciate it gone. ( you got first dibs, anyone else reading this in brissie is welcome to come and heave it away if OP doesnt want and isnt in brisbane )

7. deanokombi

deanokombi New Member

question

can u fit a holden 5.7litre into a 1976 kombi

8. deanokombi

deanokombi New Member

and how much would it cost to get the engine fitted?

9. brookie

brookie Guest

If you have the $$$$$$$$$$ you can fit anything-whether it would be legal or not that is a different proposition.

10. compayo

compayo New Member

I would hazard a guess at $25,000 for parts, labour, engineering and other various upgrades required.

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Saw a nice job in a workshop in Gosford some time ago. 5L Holden fitted in a Bay. Anyone know the unit?