1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine crossmember 1972 kombi

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by flat4pilot, Aug 7, 2018.

1. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

Hi all,
    My father is installing a 1600cc vw kombi motor into his 1972 kombi. It is the crossover model where it has the lowlight front end and late model rear end. We have been told there is a crossmember that goes under the engine. Looks like an upside down moustache.
    Is that part required for this engine or are there side mounts that hold it in. We can’t find this crossmember and can’t recall if it was in the Kombi when we got it.
    Alternatively does anyone have this crossmember as a spare if we need one as we have contacted several vw stores in Sydney and they say they are not available to purchase and we need a second hand one if it is required.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Yes Yes No Yes I think to all you questions. o_O
    You do need the cross member and it has three bolts that hold it to the engine block. There is also two brackets that are bolted to the cross member,at either end of cross member.Which has two rubber engine mounts in each bracket on them which isolate it to the body. You can't buy new ones only second hand ones and depends on where you find one could be costly. I don't think I have a spare one that I can recall.
    Don't get mistaken by the name mustache name as that is what they call the earlier cross member for 68-71 which is a different shape to the one your after.
    regards Wayne
    p.S have you tried Indian automotive
    Indian Automotive
    Email: info@indianautomotive.com.au
    Ph: 02 4731 6444

3. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

The '72 1600 one is still somewhat 'mustache-like' in shape. I had one modified to fit a beetle engine but I 'think' it got chucked or chopped up and made into bumper brackets :eek: Will see if I've got any pics...

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Found it, original engine mounts have been cut-off and the beetle mount welded on, but it gives an idea what it looks like (black bar thingy) -
    [​IMG]

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Like this ? A9151596-DACD-40E6-8F02-B8DA8C957831.jpeg

6. Wayne murray

7. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

Ok thanks guys, this site is so helpful. I will try and see if I can find the straight bar one. It must be around somewhere as this motor was originally pulled from this car.
    I was looking for the moustache style so maybe not looking correctly.
    The moustache one is for the 68 to 71 models? Is that correct?

8. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

I will post some pics up once engine and box is installed. We also need the pop top canvas redone. Any recommendations for a good trimmer in Sydney?

9. Wayne murray

The One that splitbus posted above:rolleyes: is what a lot of people call mustache bar , yes correct.
    The one gazman posted :rolleyes:above is correct except for the bit to connect to the engine block. Have you got the brackets that go on the outside of the bar?

10. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

Not sure will be looking over next two days as we want to install motor over this weekend.

11. Wayne murray

In front of the fan housing you see the bar that you require on the end of the bar is the brackets you need.
    180.jpg

David H likes this.
  12. PICT

PICT Active Member

These can only be used if you are installing a kombi engine, the beetle engines were not tapped for these brackets hence in the other photo they were using the the oil pump bolts, i'm sure there is a conversion plate from bar to oil pump bolts though that you can get.

I do seem to remember that there was a thread on The Samba about engine crossmembers and if they are needed or not, I think it was that some gear boxes had 'ears' at the rear and they are deamed strong enough to support the 1600 engine. I remember seeing referance to the discussion but not actually reading it as I had no plans on removing it on my '72, but was looking for ways to put in an oil filter/cooler with out tapping the case.

From the referances to the discussion it did seem like it was quite an extensive discussion with some quite knowledgeable people including one who had been running with out one for years. Might be worth trying to find it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  13. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

^^Think of how a beetle engine is mounted ;)

14. Wayne murray

:oops:True wasn't thinking clearly at all:oops: my mistake,thanks gazman for reminding me.opps . My previous post deleted :rolleyes::oops: thanks again @gazman

15. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

Hi guys managed to locate the engine crossmember so now just looking for the end brackets, slowly finding the stuff. Once again thankyou for the information.

16. Wayne murray

good news. Where you found one they didn't have the other.

17. flat4pilot

flat4pilot New Member

No but I think they are hanging in the garage somewhere. Now that I have seen the brackets I’m pretty sure I know where they are.

18. PICT

PICT Active Member

Ah, I missed it.... ;)

You have found the bar, but i'm pretty sure you could run the engine without it if you wanted to

Good time to change over the rubber mounts at the same time, easy to change and not that expensive

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018