Engine number? And rebuild advice

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Dragonbus79, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Dragonbus79

Dragonbus79 New Member

hello kombi lovers ima first time bus owner and have sadly had one of my valves decide to try it’s luck with a piston leaving a beautiful kiss that rendered her useless now upon taking the once beating heart of my bus apart I’ve seen piston rings imatating hula hoops making me wonder how she ran at all

Any way I armed myself with the bus repair manual and set to work but looking in the index I don’t see my engine number (Ap012005). And my 94mm dish pistons are sourced as Porsche pistons which I’m happy to rebuy for the rebuild but I’m just after any info on this engine and any helpful tips in going down this path

I am fairl mechanically inclined and I’ve rebuilt a few dunnydores in my time but I didn’t mind if a stuffed them the bus is a whole different story

Ride: 1977 micro is deluxe

Thanks for your time
    Love Adam

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Adam

Can you tell os if the bus has a Type 1 or 4 motor.
    or put a picture up

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Adam, if you're not sure on Type 1 or 4 then a picture of each "style"

Type 1 - you'll notice it has a "doghouse" fan housing

[​IMG]

Type 4 (some may also call it a Type 2) - flat pancake style

[​IMG]

4. KahunaKombi

5. Dragonbus79

Dragonbus79 New Member

Definetly a type 4

6. Dragonbus79

Dragonbus79 New Member

Vam thanks for the great reply my repair manual doesn’t list it but yeah twin solex carbs and 94mm pistons not sure on the stroke I’ll check when I get home and post some pics of the engine but until then here is my bus and I’ll post more in this thread of my experience of rebuilding the bus and see is I can offer help through my journey

Also have a pbp aircon unit in my bus not currently gassed but still I’m working order I was recommended by tony and volksworld not to use it due to labour on the engine thought?

77C4272B-B9BD-45B4-9D4E-DB9885FF4D54.jpeg

7. KahunaKombi

Don't know of the pbp Air Con :rolleyes: If the AC outlets for the cool air out are mounted in the dash then front area will get relief.
    There is a huge area for the AC to cool down so it will be pusing it to cool the whole interior. Opening the quarter vent windows while travelling`will work almost as well - if rear quarters are non functioning - pivot pins are shot then upgrade to sliding windows as you can get them for all 3 windows adnt he sliding door.:D

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The AP case code is an 1800 Type 4. 2 litre is CJ for solid lifters with carbs and GE for hydraulic and fuel injection if memory serves. Make sure you are reading the number from in front of the Oil Breather, as the Fan Housing one may be off another engine.

The inlet valves on the 1800 are bigger than a 2 litre but the chambers are a different size to the 2 litre heads so you need to do a bit of research. The book "how to rebuild your volkswagen air-cooled engine" is worth tracking down. It is getting a bit long in the tooth and is American based but the basics are there and there are some helpful hints.

Adrian