Engine prices

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Lenzy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

Hi
    just wondering what the current market price ranges are for bay window engines? 1800 and 2 litre? rebuilt? running? non-running etc etc
    trying to weigh up some options.
    thanks jas

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

3. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

wow not cheap hey

4. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Seems very reasonable to me all new moving components they will add up then think about the man hours in acquiring parts, cleaning, stripping , painting , machining and then assembly by someone with enough experience that it is good for a 12 month warranty, that could easily be 20 hours plus.
    Then if you think in term of the cost of a later model engine a used 2 lt for my amarok from a wrecker with 90,000 kl on it is $7,500 with a 3 month warranty. So yeah I recon thay are a good deal.

Sahara Hilton and Chidori like this.
  5. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

yeah I know what you mean....Being all fresh adds up. Cost me more to build my own ford falcon motor few years back but not exchange over.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Lenzy, seeing you're Location in the Avatar is Caloundra so you could also talk to Matt Berry (Matt Berry Motorsports - Vassy69 had his engine built by Matt and I used him years ago for servicing of my DoKA with a Pobjoy 2.1L stroker) or Gary @ Conti Engines @ Bribie - contact information available in VWMA ;) or if you don't subscribe then google search should bring them up :D

grumble likes this.
  7. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

yeah all good, A mate knows Matt, I just already have a few options available and deciding on which road to trek LOL
    thanks though

8. grumble

grumble Active Member

Matt Berry is a very approachable, knowlgeable Volksie mechanic and his work is excellent, I have the greatest respect for his work and can't speak highly enough of him. Mike at CBB has also done some work for me and he is also approachable and willing to discuss what you want.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  9. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I've got a good bottom end here with reco heads, barrels and pistons with rings, don't know their condition $1200

10. Lenzy

Lenzy Member

its all good, as I have a rebuilt 1800 and a subie motor and auto and manual....but trying to decide which road to go down and what to sell off later. How have people found the reliability of kombis with fresh motors? If I stay original I can put in a built 1800 and auto, twin carbs (to be re-kitted) and electronic ignition. Or I have an EJ25 and adapter ready to go in also.

11. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are after.. for me... I'd never ever buy a kombi with a rice cooker in it...not for love or money.. That's just me. Aircooleds are reliable when built correctly . They are not as fuel efficient as rice cookers..BUT...I don't care.. an aircooled has its place and that's in the back of a bus.

Alpal, MAP77, oldman and 1 other person like this.
  12. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

Could call Andre at Scorpio motors at Gaythorne (Bris Northside)