Engine Rebuild Help!

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by dilgz13, Jan 11, 2017.

1. dilgz13

dilgz13 New Member

Hi all, am currently rebuilding the engine out of my 73 bay kombi and have come to the point where in need to replace the pistons. The engine code suggests its a 1700 but the piston size is 93mm, is the correct for an engine with the code CA. Also if it is bigger am I better off keeping it at that size?

Cheers Jack.

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

93mm x 66mm crank is 1800

90mm is really hard to come by

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

93mm is 1800 .where 1700 is 90mm. As mentioned above you would still be better keeping it bigger. As Barry mentions 1700 barrel and pistons are hard to come by . AA performance pistons still do them. It is cheaper on there website to buy 93mm then 90mm pistons sets.

4. dilgz13

dilgz13 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm guessing someone has previously upgraded it to an 1800 then.
    Do you have any recommendations as to where to buy them from as I'd like buy a complete barrel and piston kit.

5. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Hi guys, can I just confirm that if (like dilgz13) I have a CA motor and 90mm pistons, I can just swap in a set of 93mm pots with no compatibility issues?

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Link to AA ;) - https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-liner-kits-sets/type-4-914

7. KahunaKombi

To my knowledge you should be able to put a new 93mm cylinder and piston kit in.

Issue with an unknown engine could also be that while the pistons are 90mm but the pots may have been over bored so rings need to be accounted for accordingly - something I found out the hard way :rolleyes::eek:

Gordon D likes this.
  8. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Agreed - am heavily into risk mitigation at the moment so replacing the full set with already matched kit should reduce the unknown factor pretty well :D

KahunaKombi likes this.
  9. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Blimey - the cost of shipping is USD$137 ... nearly as much as the piston set :eek:
    May ask them if there is a cheaper shipping option.

10. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Can't get a set locally?

11. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Can't you rebuild it as a 2L?

Will 94's or 96's fit?
    71 mm crank?

12. KahunaKombi

Rod Penrose (rodpenroseracing.com.au) has Type4 cylinder/piston kits - talk to Rod - at least if there's any issues then it's only a phone call to resolve ;)

Gordon D likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

VW engines being what they are can't see why you not - when I had the '72 Beetle I spoke to Brett Crothers about some more ponies and his solution was 1. Larger cylinder/pistons 2. dual throat Weber carbie ..... cheap solution back in 1991/2 :cool:

14. KahunaKombi

See JKA have 1700 90mm kits $762.00 :rolleyes:

15. Gordon D

Gordon D Active Member

Pretty sure it's the 66mm Crank ... need to have a good look.
    Spotted that last night too ... couldn't see the set I was looking for so will message them. Given shipping, the price is not much different so would prefer local too :)

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Be aware that original 1700 (90mm) heads will not fit directly onto 93mm barrel, however 1800 (93mm) will fit 2000 (94mm) and vise versa.

1700 = 66mm crank - 90mm piston.
    1800 = 66mm crank - 93mm piston
    2000 = 71mm crank - 94mm piston.

Due to different pin heights you cannot fit pistons from a 71mm crank onto a 66mm crank and vice versa.

Easy way to determine if the crank is 66mm or 71mm is the journal diameter for the conrods. 66mm will have a ~55mm diameter and the 71mm will have ~50mm diameter.

Sounds like it has the common upgrade of new barrel and pistons and new/rebuilt heads to make it an 1800.

Syncro27, Gordon D and cbus like this.