Engine running rough

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by billoddie74, Sep 9, 2009.

1. billoddie74

billoddie74 New Member

A few nights ago drove across town (about 20km) engine running fine (as it always has), parked for about 4 hrs, got in, started it up, and started fine, but refused to idle, just conks out, so I had to force it home, it stalled every time I approached a set of lights i.e. when out of gear and my foot off the pedal.

Engine running very badly, wanting to backfire a lot, so I replaced spark plugs, no improvement, which leads me to think it could be a fuel problem. i.e. fuel getting to the engine but not evenly/smoothly.

Where do I start, fuel filter, pump?

Drew

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Check the 2 elbows on the bottom side of each carby, one may have blown off, also check the 2 elbows near the left carby, could be of or have a split..

3. Radar15

Radar15 Active Member

Fuel filter could be blocked?

4. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Check the elbows (can't think of the proper name) at the bottom of the carbies, I'll bet one of them has come adrift. Push it back on & all should be good. OSI does this once in a while.

5. billoddie74

billoddie74 New Member

After fiddling around the carbies under the din of a rapidly waning torch light I managed to find the suspect 'elbow' at the base of the right hand carbie had come off, slipped it back on, starts and idles beautifully (or as well as a Kombi idles cold anyway).

At the very least Ive learnt how to replace perfectly good spark plugs :(

Many thanks oh Kombi gurus.

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

And you learned what to look for first, not a bad nights work really. That's the great thing about kombis, they still get you home and slowly teach you things you would never have learnt with a new electronic gizmo car. You wouldn't have had a clue what the problem was with one of them.

T1 Terry

7. Carter

Carter Member

Amen to that

8. Courtney&Vinnie

Courtney&Vinnie Member

Hi I just found this post late last and think I could have same problem with my 'Vinnie'.
    He was running great one minute and now like only half the motor is running. I have checked spark plugs and cleaned them. I have not been out this morning to look for the 'elbows'. Am I going to see them easily as I have no idea what I am looking for!
    Any pics or directions appreciated, please!!!
    :-\

9. Courtney&Vinnie

Courtney&Vinnie Member

And also! Can someone please tell me how I can start a new thread/post?

10. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

(quote)I have not been out this morning to look for the 'elbows'. Am I going to see them easily as I have no idea what I am looking for!
    The elbows are rubber and they are on the outside, down the bottom of your inlet manifolds(under your carbies)they mustn't have any splits or cracks.

(quote)And also! Can someone please tell me how I can start a new thread/post?
    To start a new post go to the area you want to post in and up the top left you have the new thread box.click on that.
    cheers Adam

11. Courtney&Vinnie

Courtney&Vinnie Member

Thank you. the elbows are attached and look to be good condition. I had thought it was a coincidence but my power brakes had stopped working at the same time as the other trouble and from what i've read in the service manual it sounds like the brake servo vacuum hoses are off or damaged - I also dont know where to look for these, any ideas? I've had a thorough look though and cant see any hoses off/damaged etc so i guess it's time to suck it up and pay the mechanic to sort it for me. :/

12. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

You need to get under the van... there is a 10mm flexible hose running from the back of the firewall on the passenger side. It's about 2-3 feet long and is attached to a metal pipe that runs diagonally to underneath the drivers seat. The brake booster is a big round thing just behind the drivers side wheel and there is another flexible hose at that end as well.

Hope this isn't too confusing. ;)

13. Courtney&Vinnie

Courtney&Vinnie Member

You need to get under the van... there is a 10mm flexible hose running from the back of the firewall on the passenger side. It's about 2-3 feet long and is attached to a metal pipe that runs diagonally to underneath the drivers seat. The brake booster is a big round thing just behind the drivers side wheel and there is another flexible hose at that end as well.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FEKKINELL!!! The vacuum hose was disconnected right at the firewall.

i am forever in debt to you. after a full day yesterday mucking around removing spark plugs with incorrect tools - then dropping one into the abyss that is the cavity they live in and retracting it over an hour later with a screw driver and pointy nose pliers - resigning from my 'backyard mechanic career' several times, this afternoon Vinnie is finally working as good as ever.

I just wished i'd worn my old clothes to do the job and maybe a full face mask :S maybe with the money i saved from not having to see the mechanic i can go buy some new threads :D

14. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

No probs. :)

Just for the record.. that hose that had fallen off is the one that leads to those little rubber elbows. So if it happens again, it's all part of the same system. ;)

15. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

I love reading posts like this! Shows great Kombi comradeship and simultaneously builds up the memory bank for when we will all inevitably need these tips!!! Great work.
    Rich

16. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Corza, probably better posted in the T3,T4 Tech clinic. This section is for T2's Cheers, mark

17. Courtney&Vinnie

Courtney&Vinnie Member

thank you thank you!! :D