1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine running

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by 76kampa, Feb 16, 2018.

1. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Does my motor sound normal?
    Engine sounds..... knocky. :confused: but there is an old fuel pump at the back not doing anything as it has an electric pump.

As its my first VW air cooled motor Im not sure how rattly they are supposed to sound.
    I am thinking the oil I used may be too thin but it's supposed to be a newly rebuilt motor but I put in castrol magnatec 10w40.

Dunno, not much I can do except drive it and fix it really.

2. robmich

robmich Active Member

sounds OK to me

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Bit hard to comment. Maybe someone local can have a real listen?

4. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

yer it's knocking something, but i will adjust the rockers as they are a bit loud on the left, might just put thicker oil it it :) and change the gearbox oil as well.

Sounds like a exhaust leak maybe...

5. Alpal

Blank off the old fuel pump. If its just rattling it serves no purpose except to create an oil leak!

Sahara Hilton likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Yup that's it with the fuel pump - mechanical new/OEM ones available- someone just lazy not to get a blanking plate OR left it there as a possible reserve in case the electronic one fails.

What revs is it idling at - looks like a single Webber carb ????? And not sure of any improvement this would make on the 2 Litre Type 2 engine against the dual soles standard carbs :rolleyes: may need bit of a tune up so revs stay constant @ idle adn not vary as much which also makes engine a bit rattled - tappet check and re set won't hurt + get new rocker cover cork seals as they're only good for one install/removal of the covers ..... some may disagree :eek::(

7. Alpal

Following other thread/post re blanking off. Question is do you leave pushrod or remove? Advice is that rod is oil pressure fed so removing leaves oil pressure 'leak'. May be need to leave but shorten and hold in place to block the hole?
    Have been running without push rod for a long time now but inclined to have a look next time I dump oil.

Mordred likes this.
  8. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Im going to leave the old fuel pump alone I thing as yer dont wont to upset the oil pressure...

as for the carby, needs tuning but its facing the wrong way.....