1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine sluggish then great

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Barney, May 6, 2008.

1. Barney

Barney New Member

G'day

Barney seems to be a bit like me and chooses not to work hard, some times. On a recent long trip he was very sluggish and had to drop down to second gear on some hills that were not too steep, then 50k's down the road we would cruise up the same hill and needed to take the foot off the accelerator to stay under the speed limit. This happens a number of times with the "sluggish" side being more rather than less. Is this a carbie problem ? or distributor/spark type problem ? He idles the same either way and doesn't seem to "miss" under power. Fuel economy does drop marginally when sluggish.

He always takes about 10 minutes or 10 k's in the morning to warm up, could it be related ? When he is sluggish he may have already been running for 1 hour so shouldn't be the same...or should it..

Any help or advice appreciated.

Brendan

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's dirty points, put a new set in and see how it goes, but don't quote me on that.

Cheers Mike

3. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

on these cold frosty canberian mornings 10 minutes is fair for an air cooled motor to warm up
    what you've got to do to cure these sorts of "mystery" problems is go through the whole routine such as
    new points and correct timing (i would also make sure that your distibutor (it should be a vacume advance type) is working correctly (i.e vacume advance is connected and working and that the centrifugal weights are not sticking) maybe borrow a known good distributor and swap it over (you will have to redo the timing)
    new fuel filter and make sure all your fuel lines are good
    make sure valve/tappet clearances are as factory spec
    and last if you are up to it rebuild the carbies, tune and syncronise (very important) them
    making sure that your idle mixture screw are adjusted properly and that your accelerator pumps are working correctly and that the little squirters are pointing towards the middle of the throttle plate, and that your chokes are adjusted correctly
    there is a good carby article here http://www.ratwell.com/technical/DualCarbs.html
    thats all i can come up with my feeling leads towards the distributor as the likely suspect
    goodluck with it
    john

4. kombicam

kombicam Member

how r the plugs and leads?? if your going thru everything give them consideration as well.

5. Barney

Barney New Member

Thanks guys...

So I suppose me standing at the back of Barney with my hands on my hips telling him that he needs to lift his game and start performing better isn't going to work....damn it..there goes Plan 'A'.

Not being mechanically minded....as is quite obvious...and it appears there is no "hit this part (detailed photograph) with a hammer and should be good" looks like I will send him off to the VW Doctor for a check up.

Again, thank you..

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Barny, what was the problem in the end. Cheers, Mike

7. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yeah, I'd be interested to know too, as this is something that happens occasionally with Lola. Thanks.