1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Starting Trouble

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by madmaddy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to ask a question, my 75 Bay 1800 is only running on 3 cyclinders, this is getting sorted out this coming week if I can start it to drive it there, my question is why does it start one minute and then wont start the next? I can hear something clicking in the engine bay when turning ignition key, but engine will not turn over, battery is new. Help..

Kylie & Jen

2. dan_b

dan_b Member

stater motor

3. grill_pig

grill_pig New Member

connections from the electrics to the starter. pull them off and give them a good clean.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

It does sound like the starter motor ... try tapping/whacking the cylindrical solenoid on the side of the starter motor with something heavy, such as a wrench, that can sometimes get it going again. You can test the solenoid by putting an (insulated) screwdriver across the the lugs on top to short-circuit the solenoid and see if the starter whirs into action .... and yeah, check and clean the connectors as suggested first ...

5. madmaddy

madmaddy Member

Hey thanks everyone, Advice worked a treat, just went out and and tapped solenoid with the wooden end of a hammer, now starts everytime, but need to remove key and put back in for it to start each time, is this normal?

Kylie & Jen

6. farquire

farquire Member

shouldn't have to take the key out for each start,turning it right back to the off position should do.hitting it with a hammer is only a short term fix,it'll let you down eventually