Engine Swap - What paperwork is required?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by gusrossuk, Feb 9, 2018.

1. gusrossuk

gusrossuk New Member

Hi everyone,
    After the 1700cc engine with Solex Carbs spat the dummy in my 1973 camper, I had it swapped it over to a 2 litre with fuel injection.

To keep the vehicle kosher, I need to update the vehicle rego with the new engine number etc.

But the capacity has changed : 1700cc to 2000cc, and the fuelling system too (the latter may not be an issue).

I'm in WA and have checked the DoT website in detail on how to do this.

There is a form online, but it is ONLY for engine exchange on a like for like basis, ie no change in capacity/power etc. So, in strictness, that doesn't apply to mine.

Furthermore, it appears that I should have had all of this paperwork in place BEFORE I did the engine swap (you'd think the mechanic that did it would have told me, but no). So now I need to get it done retrospectively.

Any ideas what form to use?

Final question: I will need to get the vehicle reinspected to ensure compliance. Does anyone know if they will inspect ONLY the engine change or will they reinspect the whole vehicle? And what the costs are for the inspection? The van is in the best shape of its life, so I'm hopeful it will sail through on the first attempt.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Angus

2. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

I was looking at this yesterday for Victoria.
    here, if the engine that you are installing is identical to an engine that would have been installed by the manufacturer into that vehicle, you don't require an engineering certificate.
    We only require a signed declaration from the owner or a mechanic certifying that the engine was available for that particular vehicle and a change of vehicle details form. All that info is on the vicroads website.
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg.../notify-vicroads-of-changes-and-modifications

Given that 1700 and 2000 is technically the same engine I would have thought that would have been fine for vicroads. not sure about WA. Just give them a call - they are the experts. :)

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

In NSW it was is the new motor is under 15% increase nothing required other than a blue slip to notify RTA on engine number change

Its a bit grey with the old 17 to 2000 as a 15% increase on 1700 is 1955
    If you use "exact" figures I think it is all ok

On a type 4 - if you put the fan housing that has the engine number back on....................well..........................

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

6. gusrossuk

gusrossuk New Member

Barry, thanks so much.
    This forum absolutely astounds me - the efforts experienced members go to help out the newbies and less experienced.
    I'm indebted to you all
    Not sure how I could not find this in my own search but armed with this info, and the helpful link, I'll get the job done and update the vehicle details with WA RTA
    Thanks.

David H likes this.