1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EV Kombis

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Voltwagen, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

The answer is solid state batteries, they are what is going to make the change possible:

Solid-state batteries replace the liquid or polymer electrolyte found in current lithium-ion batteries with a solid. The challenge, however, is in finding a solid material that is conductive enough to be used in large batteries.

The main benefits are batteries that are smaller, higher-capacity and cheaper than current liquid-based lithium-ion batteries. In 2014, Sakti3 announced it was approaching a point where it could produce a battery with twice the density of current batteries at a fifth of the cost. They’re also non-flammable and, in theory, could last longer and charge faster.

Current lithium-ion batteries are flammable and they also create a lot of heat, which in electric cars means lots of extra gear to contain and dissipate it. An electric car with a solid-state battery could remove all the cooling elements in favour of a larger battery, and therefore longer range, or reduce the size of the battery while retaining the same range and cutting the cost.
    Current batteries are also notorious for having short lifespans. Constant charging and discharging slowly erodes the performance of the battery, which is why a two-year-old iPhone often struggles to get through a whole day of use on one charge.

According to Ilika, a developer of solid-state batteries for Internet of Things devices, they could increase ‘cycle life’ from two years to 10 years. A Wall Street Journal report suggested this could result in greater potential for product recycling after being used in the vehicle, such as in homes or commercial energy storage.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-solid-state-battery-toyota-dyson

They still need to work out things for solid state batteries, but when they do it will be an easy change.

betsy, Luckyphil, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I’m giving serious consideration to electrifying my Kombi (atthe rate I’m going on the body work the battery technology will be sorted :rolleyes:)

It’s about $30k for the parts and batteries at the moment but that will change as time goes on.

For me my daily commute is only 12km round trip so that’s easy to do, it’s when I leave town it becomes problematic, somwas considering the hybrid route and fitting a diesel generator in a small trailer to hook up when I need to go further.

For me it’s not about been green or even the economy (hell I wouldn’t own a kombi if I was worried about either of those ) it’s just about haveing something not every one else has.

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Having an electric powered Kombi, towing a trailer with a diesel generator, would def tick the box, of “something not everyone else has”.. :eek:

The advantage would also be fitting a domestic 240v air con unit to the Kombi, that you could power with the generator on those hot days.....:rolleyes:

4. saabman

On battery life I’ve ben doing a fair bit of research into battery charging, particularly lithium batteries lately and from what I understand is battery life can be directly attributed to charge conditions and the typical consumers expectations.

For phones in particular the charge algorithm is designed to maximise the amount of energy that can be drawn from the battery ie. maximum capacity. This has the down side of reducing the life span of the battery. If batteries are charged to a slightly less capacity the life of the battery can be extended somewhat. But each charge will not last as long.

5. saabman

I’m thinking a little trailer like Old mans and then I could also cary a few extra bits and pieces as well :)

oldman likes this.
  6. Grantus

Electric shaver, hairdryer, kettle that can be run off the generator? :rolleyes:

7. saabman

See there is nothing but positives :cool:

Grantus and cbus like this.
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Air operated motor and recharge your compressed air tank at each servo's tyre fill point, :D

9. Grantus

Don’t forget to toss the electric horn....... and plumb in an air horn, to take full advantage. ;)

Voltwagen likes this.
  10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Too much drain on reserves in city traffic :oops:

Grantus likes this.
  11. saabman

The rate at which current air supplies at servos work it would be quicker to charge a battery :eek:

wombatventures, Voltwagen and cbus like this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

True.
    And not much use unless you can get a couple if thousand psi.

13. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I know it was done in the past 50's - 80's, but try registering a home made EV today.
    Good luck with that

David H likes this.
  14. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Could be a snagging point, I was hoping it would be the same as say a Subi conversion

15. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

considering the amperage and voltage sent to the motor (more at 500a @300v) and the possible need to modify the structural chassis to hold the battery I think it would be a problem for an individual to get compliance and would be outside of a signatories (engineers) scope.
    I know if the chassis is structurally modified the whole vehicle must then pass all of the ADR's of a new vehicle including a crash test.

16. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

There are plenty of home built EV's in Australia that are registered. Most are small cars and only used for local short commutes. Which is what they are best for. Every issue of renew magazine has an article on EV's.
    Around town EV's make sense. Especially if they can be recharged from renuable energy. Outside of the cities and towns reliability and range has to be appropriate to the area, especially once you start dealing with hills that sap power quickly.
    Something else that interests me is how the motors cope with water over the road, especially with the state of our roads at home where a .5mm shower leaves us with puddles 100mm deep that fill the gutters on our intersections and can' be avoided. Not that we ever get rain but can only hope.:(

17. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Ah, should be easy enough to do without modifying the structural side of the chassis so don’t think it will really be a problem.

johnvw likes this.
  18. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Current winner in my head is using a full Tesla unit, so I’m guessing they have done enough research on water intrusion.

oldman and AC-T3 like this.
  19. saabman

I noticed some of the kits out from is it EV west ?? Use Tesla batteries

Voltwagen likes this.
  20. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Don't know why your all getting carried away with EVs. the Tata car company in India has produced an AIR car motor..........mmm, now lets see the government apply road tax to that :D
    For kombi use just scale it up as req'd and fit some sort of forward facing air gathering device. :rolleyes:
    tata_air_car_minicat_03-0228.jpg