1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

And this deserves a seperate post.

I cannot recommend dealing with Glenn higher if you need blasting done.
    I was recommended both glenn and A1 Blasting at Ipswich.
    I think if you are in a hurry to get the work done the A1 are the way to go. But they were going to be about $1000 more expensive.
    Glenn took a while to get done as it is just him working there so he had a back log. But when I asked him is there were any cost overruns (as I thouight he had spent a fair amount of time on it) he said "No - I gave you a quote and that is all I will charge'.

So really happy with the dealings.

I won't put his mobile on the internet but you can find him here
    http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/west-burleigh/preptech-11928281-listing.html

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

So we had the bus brought to the Gold Coast today to start bodywork with someone.
    Was good to see her back but we also got some not so good news.
    Turns out that Glenn saying it was solid was partly true but there are some hidden beauties that need to be addressed.
    Whilst she is still solid - Just from blasting an extra $8k of rust work has appeared out of no-where. Not really what I was hoping for but as they say - cry once and do it right.
    We are too far in to back out now.

So this is her in epoxy. Overall I am happy with the quality of the bus. It has now had a full blast. Inside, outside and underside.
    http://s812.photobucket.com/user/Dr...esto/IMG_20140316_122905_zpsde28a801.jpg.html

Unfortunately both doglegs will have to be replaced inside and out. There is some rust hiding within and holes have opened up along the seams. Brad is going to get some Gerson ones he said which is 1k along in metal.
    [​IMG]

I knew there was rust in the windscreen sills as I rust bullet'ed and fibreglasses it up when I put the safaris in. It has tripled with blasting though.
    [​IMG]

The floor and inside is pretty solid. Needs a bit of panel beating but thats life.
    [​IMG]

So the other areas that will need doing is the cargo door sill. It is new but the gaps are not correct for the door.
    The long side needs a bit of pulling and shrinking.
    And the engine bay has a couple of bits.

Hopefully I can win lotto soon.....

3. Resol

Resol Active Member

Wow M8, thats a "in deep" effort for looked an awesome bus in the flesh but its good to know whats underneath!
    I wish all us bus owners won some money to do our buses perfectly!
    Good work and keep at it!!

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. I am still in two minds.
    I had a nice solid looking bus that was on the road and running perfect. In some ways I am kicking myself for getting into this.
    But on the other hand, in about 8 years my 20k bus would be rusting out all over the place and It would be worth a lot less (well maybe not - In 8 years it probably would be worth the same).

But at least after all this is done it will have been done to a high standard. In some ways I should have just bought a 40k bus but who knows how well that was done to begin with.

shaven likes this.
  5. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Looks the goods Brad ! Can't wait to see the finished product , & no doubt you are too !! :)

Cheers Stu

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Some progress photos.
    Front Windscreen Aperture repaired.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Lower A Pillar Structure had to be rebuilt.
    [​IMG]
    Both sides.
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side B Pillar was the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats about it for now.

8. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

wow Brad - great progress!

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, some crazy prices on decent split buses out there so a difficult call. At least at the end you will know what you have. If you keep it long enough you might forget how much money you have poured into it. Regards, Paul

10. vw nutter

vw nutter Member

Hi mate,
    Nice Bus! and great work so far,

What exact susspension setup are you running in the front?

The rear looks like creative IRS? or something similar?

cheers
    Jurion

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey Jurion, (Ironically I bought the bus of a Juri too).
    I believe the rear is the Creative Irs Kit.
    And the front is an Adjustable beam from a late bay (possibly a 68 with disk brake upgrade).
    Not totally certain as it was in the bus when I bought it.

Paul,
    I hope so mate. Anita has always wanted a brand new car and we were going to get her one in the next few months. That does not look likely now. I will probably have to fight her for keys to the bus each day.

12. vw nutter

vw nutter Member

That is quite ironic brad!! :)

yeah is there any way you can %100 identify the front end setup for me? please

It looks to have a brake booster on there and late bay 5x112 disc brakes...

I am cinfused becasue late bay front beam chassis bolt pattern is different to split window.

Or

is it possible they have used a 68 beam welded in adjusters, welded in brake booster and bolted on late bay 5x112 front disc brakes?

if you could please let me know that would be fantastic! since ill be wanting to do the same setup to my 64 splitty.

cheers
    Jurion

13. vw nutter

vw nutter Member

That is quite ironic brad!! :)

yeah is there any way you can %100 identify the front end setup for me? please

It looks to have a brake booster on there and late bay 5x112 disc brakes...

I am cinfused becasue late bay front beam chassis bolt pattern is different to split window.

Or

is it possible they have used a 68 beam welded in adjusters, welded in brake booster and bolted on late bay 5x112 front disc brakes?

if you could please let me know that would be fantastic! since ill be wanting to do the same setup to my 64 splitty.

cheers
    Jurion

14. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Looking good Brad

Jurion that is a 68 beam with later disc's added and booster bracket welded in

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike
    That's what I suspected but good to have it confirmed.

16. vw nutter

vw nutter Member

yesh ok cool thanks for that,

Sooo does that mean stock late bay window 5x112 front disc setups bolt straight onto 68 beams?

i have a 68 front beam with drums on it, so if i get a stock front disc setup off a late bay will it bolt on? what needs to be changed/ swapped?

Thanks for your help fellas

any more updates on your bus brad? i mean pictures ;)

17. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Just swap out the trailing arms from the later beam with the disc brakes into the 68 beam

18. vw nutter

vw nutter Member

ah perfect thats what i thought you could do, bonus that the swap comes with the sway bar :)

cheers

19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Checked in on the old girl on Sunday.
    Lower A pillar all back in and nice. Front passenger door has the new full dogleg panel in and all the door gaps are coming along nicely.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Gaps still have to be finished on the cargo doors but new sill and floor edge have gone in.
    As well ans cargo door lower frame and outer skins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]