1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evie - 1966 Aussie Delivered 11 Window Kombi

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by 68BUS, Nov 19, 2013.

1. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I like the seats! Looking forward to seeing this at the bus stop, if not before?

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep Col. Bay front beam with adjusters and disk brakes.
    Bay rear IRS.
    That is one of the reasons I jumped on it when it came up for sale. Little bit safer for the family to cruise in.
    Plus I really liked it.

Paul - I am going to be bold enough say Busstop is definite. Mind you I have been pretty liberal with that time frame considering others where asking about Valla.
    I am hoping that it will be on the road by Christmas time. Who knows if the KombiClub Christmas Camping do is going to happen again this year I might be able to come in something other than the ute! You might all have to whistle for the fire wood though, can't risk scratching the bus :lol:

3. danielgama

danielgama New Member

Very good work!

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Full set of seats returned last night. Got the tick of approval from the family.
    Very happy with my dealing with Mike at Performance Upholstery. I consider the price and process to be well worth it. Would happily recommend him to others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Now that the site is back up and running again I can update my thread.
    Went and checked in on the old girl over the weekend.
    And she is looking very good.
    Originally I wanted a rust free bus that was going to be a driver. So body work had to be good but not perfect.
    That has changed during the works because Concept Coachworks are good at doing great work.
    The entire body is getting skimmed together and then blocked out with long blocks to create nice straight panels.

It is looking more and more like I will be using a Glasurit System to paint it is same as It would have been done in Germany when it was born (apart from the fact that it is an Australian bus that would have been painted in Dulux.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

And this is currently the thoughts on the paint colours.
    These samples are from Glasurit using the old paint mixing codes for Pearl White over Velvet Green.
    We love the green but are not totally sold on the creamy-ness of the white yet so that is still in the selection stage.
    [​IMG]

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks great Brad.

Pink would suit you better though.

8. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Bianca asked me if I would paint it pink a while ago.
    I struggled as a dad who wants to give his little girl everything to say no.
    But in the end she did not get it across the line.

9. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Will keep it looking quite old skool. Is the same green as jaybones bus or darker?

10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I think it is the same as Jaybones.
    It catches the light differently on all angles I have found in the photos.

Also my sample shown is 2pac brushed on without the hardener added, and photographed under artificial light at night.
    So it is a bit darker then normal.

11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Getting there. Most the bus is into Poly Hi build now. Should be painted in the not to distant future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rims were dropped off today to get blasted and powdercoated.
    I was going for the RAL 9002 code. Which based on the Samba info is a near perfect match for the OG paint. The powder coater had off white in their ranges that was extremely close to that so I am running with that and will colour match paint for the bumpers.

12. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I decided to restore my steering wheel over the weekend as it was pretty badly cracked.
    I got some epoxy putty from Supercheap and used a dremel to cut open / widen out all the cracks throughout.
    Gave it a blast with air and them filled them all. It took a couple of turns to get everything and once there was 1 coat of primer on it I found a few more that I could not see.
    It took me about 4hours all up and $40-50 of material.
    Used Septone Acrylic high build primer and Septone Gloss Black from pressure packs and some wax and grease remover in a pressure pack too.
    I still have to wet sand with 2000series paper and cut and polish it to bring the gloss out but it is pretty nice for now.

[​IMG]

Cutting out the cracks
    [​IMG]

Round 1 of 3 epoxy putty.
    [​IMG]

Finished product (just in need of cutting and polishing to get rid of orange peel).
    Only problem is my horn button surround was in bad shape and I need to find a new one as it broke again straight away. To thing for repairs.
    [​IMG]

13. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Nice work there Brad! I did a similar repair using selleys plasti bond but the cracks appeared again some months late. Hope your repair holds together better. If not, Paul (cornish) has a method that you can try. I ended up re-applying filler then using hacksaw blade to create expansion cut in the filler, looks OK but not ideal.

14. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Your work excites me big fella!
    JD

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks JD.

Heres hoping Paul. I did notice a bit of shrinkage after the first coat of primer whist resulted in a 3rd round of putty.
    It really was one of those things. I would love to change to a wood rim wheel one day, but for now the finish on this is perfect for me. I am going to fit my leather cover from Dave again for comfort.
    Worst case scenario I need to re-do it again one day, one of the small issues of these old beasts I suppose.

16. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Looks good Brad will she be ready for Sawtell ???? o_O

17. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Which show is Sawtell Stu? Is that busstop?
    If it is then YES!!!!!!!!!

At this stage Concept Coachworks and CustomVeeDub are both working towards my goal of having her on the road and reliable for the 7th December. This date marks the anniversary of the passing of Don Thomas, Anita's dad. He started this project with me and we thought it would be a nice occasion to take the family in the bus and join a bunch of his mates on their motorbikes to do one of his favourite SEQ runs to scatter his ashes. So very much pushing to get it ready for then to mark the occasion.

18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good luck in your quest Brad - I think a deadline makes a big difference in a project like this. Looking good.

19. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Went and checked in on the bus last night. Looking good.
    Should be going into colour in a fortnights time.

This photo does not really do it justice but side all prepsolled to give the wet look.
    It has come up very straight.
    [​IMG]

Door gaps are all looking very even and lined up well.
    [​IMG]

Roof still needs a fine filler and sand for sanding marks but the shape is there now.
    [​IMG]

And the front that was previously un touched has been taken through bulk shaping and filler. And will be onto the next round of finer work soon.
    [​IMG]

20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Great thread and a solid splitty.